ASUS Eee sticks.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood
ASUS Eee sticks.

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:09 pm

I find this to be awesome and will be purchasing them ASAP.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/30/asus ... o-the-eee/

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:31 pm

For $70, you could get a real Wiimote and nunchuck ($60) and a cheap bluetooth adapter from dealextreme ($6). People actually write drivers and programs for the Wiimote, something I doubt will happen for this.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:04 pm

You also need a sensor bar to get the Wii mote to work like it does on a Wii on a PC.

$10 and that makes it officially more then these are. Also who needs drivers when you have Xpadder?

http://xpadder.com/

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 pm

The wiimote can be had for less than stated here plus this Asus controller doesn't do pointing like the wii does (i can't tell if it says it in the video as i can't watch videos at work) so the wii is still a lot cheaper and a lot better

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

NiN^_^NiN wrote:The wiimote can be had for less than stated here plus this Asus controller doesn't do pointing like the wii does (i can't tell if it says it in the video as i can't watch videos at work) so the wii is still a lot cheaper and a lot better
I read somewhere it can be used as a pointer mouse.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:14 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:You also need a sensor bar to get the Wii mote to work like it does on a Wii on a PC.
No, you don't need a 'sensor' bar. You just need two IR LEDs, which could be taped to the sides of the laptop screen. (Or two candles, maybe flashlights, just about any two points of bright light.) Even if you don't have that, it will approximate movements with the motion sensors.
$10 and that makes it officially more then these are. Also who needs drivers when you have Xpadder?

http://xpadder.com/
Um, you need a driver so Xpadder can even see the controller in the first place... :roll: That just maps existing controller buttons to the keyboard.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:54 am

Not to mention Wiimote is more versatile and has more buttons than these. May as well buy a Wiimote + Nunchuck

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:08 am

Yeah I have to agree a Wii-mote will be cheaper, as you can find some Wii-motes selling for $40.

As for using it.... I'm sorry but why the hell do you want something like the Wii-mote for your laptop? It's not like you're going to be able to use it on an airplane, train ride or while riding in a car. This really looks to be nothing more then a gimmick, an more expansive one then the Wii even.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:15 am

I still don't see the point of even having something like this in the first place. :lol:

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:26 pm

So you can play marble madness of course :P

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:05 am

NiN^_^NiN wrote:So you can play marble madness of course :P
Some how I find that stranger then a kid flailing his arms about while playing the Wii. Considering that CTF is the only person on the forums I know of that owns an Eee, I don't see people like him buying these. Even for some sort of game.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:12 am

Sparkfist wrote:
Some how I find that stranger then a kid flailing his arms about while playing the Wii. Considering that CTF is the only person on the forums I know of that owns an Eee, I don't see people like him buying these. Even for some sort of game.
I have one, and I, like him, would probably never buy any of those.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Valium wrote:
Sparkfist wrote:
I have an EEE too (900 model, had 701 before that), no way I'd grab these. I have a bluetooth dongle and Wii controllers, so I'd just pair them with the EEE if I could think of good reason why to carry them around.

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 pm

tom61 wrote:
Valium wrote:
Sparkfist wrote:
I have an EEE too (900 model, had 701 before that), no way I'd grab these. I have a bluetooth dongle and Wii controllers, so I'd just pair them with the EEE if I could think of good reason why to carry them around.
How is the 900 anyway? I like the 701 now that I got used to the screen, but is the 900 much better?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Valium wrote:
tom61 wrote: I have an EEE too (900 model, had 701 before that), no way I'd grab these. I have a bluetooth dongle and Wii controllers, so I'd just pair them with the EEE if I could think of good reason why to carry them around.
How is the 900 anyway? I like the 701 now that I got used to the screen, but is the 900 much better?
Huge difference in the screens. The extra size and resolution makes webbrowsing much easier. It actually took me a while to find a site that required horizontal scrolling (and that was mainly because of multi-megapixel images). I could actually see using this as my main webbrowser for a week or more, whereas with the 701 I sought out a 15" VGA monitor to plug it into when I was staying over at my parents house after 4 days. The extra pep of having full FSB speed, as well as a more powerful performance is nice, though noticeable on only a few occasions.

It's not all good, and I think they didn't polish it as much as the 901 will be to get it out the door quickly. The trackpad, while I like the larger size, is excessively smooth and tends to get oil build-up from just finger use. Sometimes that oil will cause the cursor to drift on its own. There are some BIOS issues right now, but Asus seems to be at least trying to make it better with near weekly BIOS updates. I'm having weird issues with video playback when on battery power, and in the BIOS version my 900 shipped with, I had troubles with MP3 playback as well. Other people are reporting screen whine with the first version of the BIOS. Also, some of the BIOS updates start up the system in performance mode even when on battery, reducing battery life. The trackpad and BIOS issues make me feel this was shoved out the door to beat the MSI Wind and other competitors to the market place.