Nintendocore

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
Nintendocore

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:49 am

Is a kind of music that uses an NES and LSDJ for GB as a synthesizer. Its pretty awesome

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Twokr090WM

The only band I know of that does it right is HORSE the band. Did anyone else here of this? Are there other good bands that are like this?

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:55 am

Sounds like a crappy specialized name for chiptunes :P

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:58 am

Meh, Nintendocore's okay, I'm more of a chiptune guy myself. Hypermelodic music is awesome, but when you throw in all the screaming and distorted guitars, it gets kinda annoying in my opinion. Not a big HORSE the Band fan, as they kinda define my complaints about the genre, but I will listen to some Enter Shikari every now and then. The intro to the live performance is all chip, the real fun starts around 2:00. :P
gannon wrote:Sounds like a crappy specialized name for chiptunes :P
Yeah, it basically is, but except for just chip, they throw in some punky-ish guitar BS and scream a lot. :lol:

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Enter Shikari aren't a nintendokore band =/, they are basically Electronica/Trance + Metal (disputable tbh, but they are more metal than rock/punk easy).

I listened to HORSE before, and tbh I didn't really like it.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Being in the chiptune biz myself, I can say they're most likely posers trying to ride the hype. A likely bet is an unfiltered square wave patch on whatever synth they're using.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:Enter Shikari aren't a nintendokore band =/, they are basically Electronica/Trance + Metal (disputable tbh, but they are more metal than rock/punk easy).

I listened to HORSE before, and tbh I didn't really like it.
Well, the majority of the internet disagrees with you. :P They seem to fit the definition, after all.. LSDJ/NES chip + guitar screamo junk = Nintendocore.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Well when you think about it, Nintendocore is hardly even a real genre of music, and Enter Shikari don't sample NES games or use 8-Bit Game Sounds in their songs anyway

EDIT: Wikipedia lists Enter Shikari's genre as Post-hardcore and Electronica. Post-hardcore sounds about right imo

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:Well when you think about it, Nintendocore is hardly even a real genre of music, and Enter Shikari don't sample NES games or use 8-Bit Game Sounds in their songs anyway
Oh, I thought they used LSDJ, my bad. :lol: But I would agree that it's not a real genre, it's just a clusterscrew of good music (chiptune) and not-so-good music (if you can call it music). :P

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:17 pm

I liked the opening to that, but it got really bad really quick.

I like synthesizers a lot, especially ones that either don't try to sound like a real instrument or try but do a really bad job at it.

I see potential in a Game Boy synthesizer (two of my favorite things coming together!), but yeah, that wasn't really good.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:00 pm

<sad> The linked song gives [post-]hardcore/metalcore a bad name..

And CTF, which where you referring to as non-music?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:47 pm

HORSE the band is ok, i prefer actual chiptune tho (anamanaguchi, random, virt, X|K, stu, nullsleep, bitshifter, etc)

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:31 pm

I don't care for horse the band. I love chip tunes though.

Electronica/Trance + Metal (disputable tbh, but they are more metal than rock/punk easy).
Sounds like wanna be Industrial Metal.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 am

Enter Shikari are techinically a post-hardcore band, it's nothing like Industrial Metal (and yeah i've listened to it, Rammstein, Fear Factory etc.)

Crono your right imo, the screaming and distorted guitars is best left to faggotry metalcore bands who are angry at jocks for bullying them (as you can tell, I don't care for metal like.. at all really)

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 pm

I love horse the band. I have their pizza record that came in a pizzaria style box. The record itself has a real pizza artwork on one side and a turtles pizza on the other side. It even came with a plastic cheese dongle haha.

Their new album, a natural death, using a lot of gameboy style sounds

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:Crono your right imo, the screaming and distorted guitars is best left to faggotry metalcore bands who are angry at jocks for bullying them (as you can tell, I don't care for metal like.. at all really)
That's coming from a fan of music made by nerds using old video game consoles. Hypocrisy is such an interesting thing.

And you make it seem like a crime to mix genre's...why?