Meatloaf the hamster

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
Meatloaf the hamster

Post by ganonbanned » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm

My brothers hamster, meatloaf, escaped. This was sometime between saturday night and sunday morning. So we've been looking all over for him, and earlier I noticed that the top of the vent near his cage had been taken off. It's vacuumed regularly, because a lot of dust collects inside, maybe its an inside job. I'll probably never know.

How do I know that he was in there? Theres turds I can see. Well, meatloaf is walking around somewhere in the vent system of the feich residence right now. I put a small dish of food and water and some bedding where he fell down in case he comes back...which I highly doubt. If he does, and makes his home base there, I'll recapture him.

What do you think? I'm the sole caretaker since I don't have a life and my brother mildly does... He strangely doesnt care. He might have put the thing to rest and framed it as an accident. Maybe im over thinking this. IDK. What should I do about this? what else can I do about this?

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Blow some air really fast through the vent, with like a leaf blower. Then check all of the spots where the air goes out and see if he gets blown there?

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Good idea. he might fall into the furnace, but meh, not my hamster.

I don't have a leaf blower but my grandpa does. I'll see if he lets me borrow it.

The air conditioning was on today, that really doesn't go fast though.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Put a small paper plate with a dab of peanut butter on it inside one of those live traps. That should get it. (Rodents love peanut butter.) This should attract it if it seems to be staying in one stretch of duct.

It's probably safe to assume it hasn't climbed up a floor, if the house has more than one. Vents are usually vertical, or angled too steep to climb.

Check the lowest point of the duct system for any signs of hamster.

Worst-case scenario: it fell into the furnace heat exchanger and can't get out. Since it's almost summer you probably don't have to worry about roasting it.

Also, things in vents :P

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:38 pm

RUN MEATLOAF! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!
I KNOW WHAT THE DEVIL BOY DID TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Errrrm.. I mean, It probably died, and your brother wanted it to look like an accident.[/img]

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Eh, my old old hamster escaped twice, he always just popped up within a day.

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:58 am

I'd have to agree with the above recommendation of peanut butter + trap.

I can imagine the whole ordeal is probably a bit nerve-racking for ya. I had a rat that crawled under the stove and into the wall a while back. Wasn't fun, especially knowing that if she showed up in someone else's apartment she'd probably end up a rat pancake.

It's bound to show up sooner or later, unless it got outside somehow. Ducting can't be comfortable for too long.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 am

Rodents are wonderful for getting into trouble. The peanut butter/live trap thing sounds like the best idea. Friend of mine has rats, and one of them escaped. Three days later, after not hearing anything, she assumed it got outside and went feral. The next night, she was in the back of the house, and heard the toaster pop. He'd gotten into the slot, and was tangled in the wire, but he ate the crumbs in the bottom to keep alive. Good thing the toaster was kept unplugged.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:46 am

LOL@TOASTER-RAT!

Postcount/Penis +1

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Hamster love Cheese, with mine you could put a bit of cheese under a wholr pile of food, and it would judt dig to the cheese first.

I had one hamster that never came back, but all the others usually popped up within a couple of days. But then my house doesnt have a ventilation system :lol:

Best one was we found one in the washing machine. It wasnt actually there to start with, but he'd fallen asleep in the wash basket so my mum was about to put the load on when he surfaced after being rudely awoken buy hoiked into the machine :lol:

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 pm

When I was in the 4th grade we lost our class hamster. To catch it, we placed sunflower seeds up a ramp, onto a ruler overhanging a garbage can. When he went to eat the sunflower seeds on the end of the ruler, it tipped and was trapped in the can.

Code: Select all

_______
|        |   \
 \      /      \   

Kinda funny, but it worked.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:53 pm

WhatULive4 wrote:When I was in the 4th grade we lost our class hamster. To catch it, we placed sunflower seeds up a ramp, onto a ruler overhanging a garbage can. When he went to eat the sunflower seeds on the end of the ruler, it tipped and was trapped in the can.

Code: Select all

_______
|        |   \
 \      /      \   

Kinda funny, but it worked.
That is an awesome idea. Combine that with the peanut butter and I think you have a very decent and inexpensive trap.

If you don't catch the hamster, you will catch that pesky ghost which has been haunting a near by abandoned carnival only to rip the ghost's mask off to find that it is actually the night security guard who is scaring developers away while he looks for the rumored buried gold under the pirate themed ride. And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids. Pop a couple of scooby snacks and call it a day.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 am

That is an awesome idea. Combine that with the peanut butter and I think you have a very decent and inexpensive trap.

If you don't catch the hamster, you will catch that pesky ghost which has been haunting a near by abandoned carnival only to rip the ghost's mask off to find that it is actually the night security guard who is scaring developers away while he looks for the rumored buried gold under the pirate themed ride. And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids. Pop a couple of scooby snacks and call it a day.
....lolwut?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:06 am

Who namees a hamster meatloaf? Why not breadloaf, or pinchaloaf?

SS :lol:
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:17 am

Why not Pikaloaf?

PIKA PIKA, PIKALOAF!