What kind of class would I take to learn about...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood
What kind of class would I take to learn about...

Post by Dr. KillGood » Thu May 29, 2008 12:35 am

What class would I take to learn about resistors, capacitors, basic PCB stuff?

Thats what I want to do so I don't need to constantly pester you people with simple stuff. Also my parents wont STFU about how I am not going to school and just sitting around all day. :x

Also it will be a PERFECT excuse to buy a Eee 900! =P

So anyway, I saw this.
http://www.itt-tech.edu/campus/courses.cfm?prog_id=2400
Does not look like they teach the stuff I want to learn though but is kind of what I want. Suggestions?

This is the last time I ask I swearz!

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu May 29, 2008 3:57 am

From that list, the best classes for you are probably ET115, ET145, ET215, and ET245. Any basic circuits class with a lab component will teach you about LRC circuits, soldering, and bread boards. Usually you'll cover things like amplifiers too. Those four courses (and their pre-reqs) should help a bunch.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Thu May 29, 2008 4:09 am

I thought how it worked was you took all the classes on the list minus one or two of them. >_<

Mister X

Post by Mister X » Thu May 29, 2008 7:42 am

Pfft, ITT is seriously overpriced, but if you can get mom and dad to foot the bill, go for it.

Also, you will need a real laptop. Something that can be read from across the room.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 am

Most community colleges will have an electronics class, I would suggest looking into something like that first, see if its' really what you like, that way it's only a couple hundred you've spent not tens of thousands.

If you go to the website for "The Black Art of Video Game Console Design", they might have something referenced in their forums. I know form a year or two ago they posted an online class that focuses on the book.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu May 29, 2008 9:29 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:I thought how it worked was you took all the classes on the list minus one or two of them.
Yep. That's how they work. (Where did you think I went?)

You have to take the entire CET course, including all the gen-ed classes.

If you do take that course, remember these two important rules:

1. The student portal WILL be broken.
2. The virtual library is a steaming pile of horse crap.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu May 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Is it you who said they hated school? You may want to consider vocational school for general electrics. Much more hands-on, cheaper, much less time consuming, and they set you up with a job as soon as you get out. If the degree is a big deal to you, though, or you want to pursue higher level education some other time, then community college is a fine choice, too.

The best situation is you rewind time and do better in high school, but I doubt that's in the cards! :lol:

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:I thought how it worked was you took all the classes on the list minus one or two of them. >_<
If you want the degree, yes. If you just want some further knowledge in the field, I'm sure you can take just a couple classes.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Physics.....
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

Mister X

Post by Mister X » Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Physics isn't terribly useful unless you're shooting for an actual degree. Euclidean geometry is, since you'll be using it to calculate a LOT of stuff in electronics.

That is, to say, nothing I learned in my physics class has helped me in the field of electronic engineering, but I'm glad I took the class anyway. Not that it was optional.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Indian hills community college in ottumwa iowa has one of the BEST laser optics, robotics/automation technology, and telecommunications programs in the country, 98% job placement in all programs etc and the first 3 terms are part of a seperate diploma course called the electronics core program, i took the core program and you take the following courses

Code: Select all

Term I
COM725 	Workplace Communications 	2
CSC110 	Introduction to Computers 	3
ELT373 	DC Circuit Analysis 	4
ELT509 	Lab Techniques2 	2
MAT742 	Technical Math 	2
	Total 	13
Term II
ELT310 	Digital Circuits 	4
ELT378 	AC Circuit Analysis 	4
MAT761 	Technical Math for Electronics 	2
	Social Science elective 	3
	Total 	13
Term III
BUS104 	Business Essentials 	3
ELT505 	Power Transfer Technology 	2
ELT550 	Analog Devices 	4
ELT610 	Microprocessors 	2
MAT120 	College Algebra 	3
	Total 	14
its cheap as far as college education goes, core program cost (not counting room and board and such) about 4-6 grand out of pocket if you get zero financial aid or loans, the full 21 month course for any of the above programs is between 15 and 20 thousand dollars which would account for like one term at a major UNI

codeman

Post by codeman » Fri May 30, 2008 11:21 am

I guess it doesn't matter if you're not in the new england area...but i'm kind of partial to WPI, they have a fantastic electrical engineering department :D
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Fri May 30, 2008 9:14 pm

ITT Tech = avoid at all costs. My friend was there for a 2-year degree, and realized that by the time he got his 2-year degree, it'd cost just as much for me to get my 4-year at a different school. Plus, credits don't usually transfer from ITT, and employers don't really think much of those "chain" schools (besides public universities funded by the state)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

HomicidalBarber

Post by HomicidalBarber » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm in school for electrical engineering right now. If you really want to learn capacitors and how they act in all sorts of ways you are going to have to know a reasonable amount of math. If you just want to do basic implementations then you can take a high school electronics class. It really depends on how old you are and what level of schooling you are at. Oh, and money. Also, there is the option of community college, reasonably cheap, electronics classes usually, but you aren't going to get a full electronics or electrical degree out of it. I don't even know if you can become a technician out of most community colleges. And if all else fails, there is the internet and books.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:37 pm

well a physics class may get you started on basic circuitry, but i'm not sure where you'd go for the more advanced stuff.