Tips for pulling all-nighters?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup
Tips for pulling all-nighters?

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 pm

So. I've got this English term paper due tomorrow (see my location). Put bluntly, I need to be up all night to finish this SOB. Normally it wouldn't be so hard to pull an all-nighter, but I've been up late the last few days watching Fresh Prince episodes (I know, stupid of me, but what can I say; Will Smith is hilarious). Also, this paper is complete BS, which doesn't help my attitude towards it.

I've already seen this and I have some ideas. I have some Double Bubble gum that I can chew. Also, my friend got me a vanilla frappachino thing from Starbucks, which should get me wired (according to him). (Keep in mind, I have never drank coffee in my life, and have probably drank less than 1L of pop/soda/whatever in my lifetime, the last time being in 6th grade (5 years ago)). In other words, I've got ZERO experience/tolerance with the most abused drug in America: caffeine.

Any other tips for my endeavor?
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Wed May 28, 2008 8:43 pm

My first tip is don't go to sleep, my second tip is do not lie down, you think "ah, I'll just lie on my bed for a moment" but you won't get up.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Wed May 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Keep a bucket of ICE WATER near you and if you feel sleepy splash your face and balls with it.

Will wake you up for sure!

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed May 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Get a thing of ice cold water, and a sponge. If you get tired, soak the sponge in the cold water, and wipe your face with it. Also, caffiene for the win.

I stayed up for 2 days with those 2 things.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed May 28, 2008 8:59 pm

I doubt you have access at this hour, but energy drinks work wonders, far more so than coffee. A good sized Monster can keep you buzzed for at least 4 or 5 hours. Also, eat something around 2-3 AM. Take a solid 20 minute break from your work and get a semi-good sized meal (a sandwich, leftovers, etc.) and get straight back to work. You have to remember, as great as caffeine, guarana, taurine, etc. are, your body still functions on a calories in/out basis. If your Basal Metabolic Rate (calorie burn if you are just sitting there) plus thinking (which does increase calorie burn) is eating away at all your reserves, you need more to jump-start your metabolism. Also, if you do get tired, the best thing to do is go outside and run for a little bit. It'll wake you up instantly!

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed May 28, 2008 10:59 pm

soundwave wrote:My first tip is don't go to sleep, my second tip is do not lie down, you think "ah, I'll just lie on my bed for a moment" but you won't get up.
I agree. Too many times I have woken up at 4 in the morning muttering bad words. If I had just had those few extra hours....

Also, tale a somewhat cold shower if you feel yourself getting tired or need a break.

Mister X

Post by Mister X » Wed May 28, 2008 11:21 pm

You will fail if you try this. Go to bed, and get up early, eat a decent breakfast, and try from there. Sleep deprivation does NOT help your mental state.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 am

I have to work rotating 10 day shift patterns; two earlies (0700-1500), two lates (1400-2230) and two nights (eg tonight) 2200-0700; then I get some days off. Working nights is hard if you don't build up your sleep "reserve" before hand; on the afternoon before my first night I have to kip for 2-3 hours, between nights sleep all day, after last night sleep for 3 hours.

If you want to stay up all night for the reasons you mention, you either won't do it or will be a zombie for the night and not be able to concentrate, so your work will be awful.

Hey, here's a thought; spend an hour today on the internet looking for essays or wiki's on your homework subject and cut and paste it - make sure you edit it to make it look like your words though!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu May 29, 2008 3:24 am

Go to sleep. Don't abuse caffeine or not go to sleep because you will copulate it up. Wake up early enough, just eat a healthy decent breakfast and have a shower or something to wake you up.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu May 29, 2008 4:03 am

Don't procrastinate and do your work on time are the best words of advice I can give.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu May 29, 2008 5:23 am

If you must, get some "5 hour energy". It comes in a tiny little bottle for about $3.20. It will keep you up all night. But its not the type of energy that you can just horde and use when your sitting on your butt. About 20 minutes after drinking, take a small (10 min) jog. Then you'll be up all night. Works for me.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Thu May 29, 2008 5:46 am

adderall.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 am

caffeine and cold will only work so long. If you can keep your body moving you'll not get tired or sluggish as quickly. So like when you're getting a mental block, or just getting tired, walk around a little bit.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu May 29, 2008 3:05 pm

OK, well thanks to some of the tips given here (and despite some naysayers), I finished the paper at 4:30 this morning.
bacteria wrote:Hey, here's a thought; spend an hour today on the internet looking for essays or wiki's on your homework subject and cut and paste it - make sure you edit it to make it look like your words though!
Yeah, that's a bad idea. This is a 10-15 page paper worth 40% of my grade in this class, not something I can afford to do that with.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu May 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Aha, now we must travel back in time to my Junior year of High School.
Did this paper have earlier leading-up-to-the-fact things you were supposed to do? Take notes, make outlines, note cards, etc. Because if you take a leaf from my book, you could've done like 2 or 3 of those ~6 things (poorly, I might add), skipped the final outline, rough and final drafts of the paper, and pass.
I still look back and lulz.