Jack Thompson: Maybe he's right...just a little?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 am

Negative_Creep wrote:And the gangsta stuff you speak of, it's called a gimmick. Do you think 50 Cent goes around killing people, pimping, picking up hoes etc.. nope. Does he write about it, yes. Does this make him a gangsta? No. It makes him a musician. Lets be honest here, Punk Rock, Metal (ugh) and Rock, are the most mainstream types of music available otherwise Hip Hop, do they carry a friendly message? Not really..
LOLKTHNXBY :lol:

No, I don't think any of these guys, rap artsits, rock stars, what have you, do anything they claim to do. Despite that, I still think that the stuff they preach has an adverse effect on today's youth. Perhaps I'm unfairly targeting rap, but that's just where I've heard it most. The point I would try to make is that bands "back in the day" made a lot of great music without all the derogitory crap that you see in today's stuff.
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Fri May 30, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 8:38 am

To be honest, it's pretty tame. Certain songs stand out for obscene lyrics, the two I think of would be Lapdance by N.E.R.D and My Humps by Black Eyed Peas, but it's all pretty harmless stuff.

Yeah kids are gonna pretend to act like this, but there is a lot of stuff they won't end up doing, and it's just petty crimes, plus picking on older kids isnt gonna work in the end because they'll just gets their ass handed to them.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Fri May 30, 2008 11:47 am

Despite that, I still think that the stuff they preach has an adverse effect on today's youth. Perhaps I'm unfairly targeting rap, but that's just where I've heard it most. The point I would try to make is that bands "back in the day" made a lot of great music without all the derogitory crap that you see in today's stuff.
It seems I must disagree my friend. It may have an adverse effect on some youth but on many it does not. It is just a form of entertainment. Also many news reports are biased on this sort of thing. You never here about the upstanding member of society who happens to enjoy gangsta rap as a form of entertainment.

Freshmen year of high school my Spanish teacher was stunned that I listened to Marilyn Manson. Picture it. Kid who is wearing nice shirt and decent pair of shorts, who participates and tries to learn, says he likes Marilyn Manson. :shock: It's shock rock, and its a form of entertainment.

Now I also listen to other types of music. Pretty much everything but country and the rap they put on the radio (e.g. soldier boy.)
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 pm

a lot of people hate Soulja Boy, but props to the kid, a lot of stuff goes unnoticed on Youtube and Myspace, a lot of bands/artists gets passed by but he got noticed and then immediately managed to hit Number 1. Credit where credit is due.

Mister X

Post by Mister X » Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:Credit where credit is due.
...and there's no accounting for taste.

Oft, one may only press one's palm to one's face, and sigh in a disheartened fashion.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 pm

project_failure wrote:It seems I must disagree my friend. It may have an adverse effect on some youth but on many it does not. It is just a form of entertainment. Also many news reports are biased on this sort of thing. You never here about the upstanding member of society who happens to enjoy gangsta rap as a form of entertainment.
Yes, but that "some" youth is quite large in numbers, and it's certainly larger than it has ever been in the past. I mean, how many kids did you hear about engaging in violent acts while listening to The Beatles? My point exactly.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Fri May 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes, but that "some" youth is quite large in numbers, and it's certainly larger than it has ever been in the past. I mean, how many kids did you hear about engaging in violent acts while listening to The Beatles? My point exactly.
True that I can't argue this. The beetles were a different form of music made in a different time.

Now here comes the real kicker, what should be done about it? [/quote]
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
-Project Failure

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 30, 2008 12:37 pm

project_failure wrote:
True that I can't argue this. The beetles were a different form of music made in a different time.

Now here comes the real kicker, what should be done about it?
Personally, I think you handle it the same way you handle violent video games, and that is increased parental action. Parents need to know what their kids are listening to and make sure that they know the difference between moral and immoral judgment. I don't think government regulations are the answer to the problem at all, it's a cultural issue that needs to be combatted by a natural change in that same culture.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Fri May 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Personally, I think you handle it the same way you handle violent video games, and that is increased parental action. Parents need to know what their kids are listening to and make sure that they know the difference between moral and immoral judgment. I don't think government regulations are the answer to the problem at all, it's a cultural issue that needs to be combatted by a natural change in that same culture.
I agree with you, but you know just as well as I do that many parents are not going to do anything. They haven't for years and I don't think anything is going to change that. I definitely don't support government regulation.
-Project Failure

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Mister X wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:Credit where credit is due.
...and there's no accounting for taste.

Oft, one may only press one's palm to one's face, and sigh in a disheartened fashion.
Go and write a song, create a beat on Fruity Loops, release it on Youtube, get noticed, and hit Number 1 Chart Status for 7 Weeks.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri May 30, 2008 1:18 pm

as far as the musical tastes of the general public need i remind you that the denizens of this board are far from being an accurate indicator of mainstream popular opinion, we hack old videogame systems into handhelds for cryin out loud! :lol: unfortunatly the majority of people are like my sister, vapid emptyheaded consumer whores who like whats cool and popular for the sake of being cool and popular :?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri May 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Triton - actually this is more of a paraphrase wrote:...who like whats cool and popular for the sake of being cool and popular...
My statement:

...which brings nothing more than nothing in a year(hell, a month.)

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Aguiluz wrote:
I wanted to steal a car because it is fun.
My gawd. Tell me that wasn't GTA.

Anyway, I'm not blaming the games. The reason why there are game ratings is because that they are there so that kids won't be exposed to that type of content.
What? It is, ever steal a car? No? I haven't either, but that doesn't mean I don't want to. This kid is way too young to have these games. And on another note, this kid is 7, it's negligence on his parents part. If I was the parent I'd be beating his ass right now!

You all need to understand that this kid isn't disciplined. He's 7, overwieght, and his friend smokes cigarettes. What 7 year old smokes?! How can anyone blame this on video games. I could understand if he was 16 or something. By then your parents should be treating you like an adult (by buying you M-rated games, not having the "talk" with you. But he's 7!
It's all of the parents fault.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Look at today's society, have any of you ever stepped into the slums of a local city? The culture is based around doing whatever it takes to make money, the drug dealers are glorified because they are making the biggest buck, shoplifting is okay, and driving unregistered vehicles is just the way it goes. On top of that, they like to have children at the rate our hearts beat, thus making it harder to manage (assuming there was actual effort in the first place).
So you all just cop out, saying, "Yeah, let's get the parents to be better parents", yeah, it would work, if it worked, but it doesn't.
These children have to be in school, by law, until they're 16, maybe we should look in that direction? Maybe the judicial system should crack down harder, or maybe DCF. None of these options would be considered, and if they were they probably wouldn't work, but its definitely a better job than simply ending the argument with "oh, but the parents..."
I'm not saying parents shouldn't be held responsible, and I'm definitely not saying they shouldn't try, but don't hold your breath waiting for them to get up and go.

Ever wonder why the kid lives in his grandma? Let's think about the parents; crack, heroine, or meth? Judging by this, I'd say crack. If he hasn't tried pot yet, he will soon, I'm sure he's already anticipating when he can start smoking cigarettes, and I doubt it'll be late in his life before he too tries crack cocaine.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 pm

The thing is, I don't think most people want to have the government having more control over how parents raise their kids. Here in Michigan the state has control over children and can remove them from the parents at anytime, for possibly any reason.

What's really happened, and I don't want this to turn into a religious discussion but, a total lose of morals when they pushed for all religious symbols be removed from public display. We don't have kids raised with a moral core, they don't feel anything about helping for the greater good. That's what we have a problem with. And rap only reinforces the idea that you should go out in life for yourself.

And I think this should be made clear in this thread. Over the past decade, the FBI has seen a decrees of teen crimes involving violence or murder. Now I know that Jack Thompson argues otherwise, but you can't dispute those facts. So really the only problem we have is that society is slowing going down the tubes. I'm not saying that past decades were all perfect, but you have to admit that some of them social-wise were better then what we have now, and I think we need to try to get back to those values or ideals.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.