What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 pm

ShockSlayer wrote: Super Smash Brothers Cockfight
:shock: DO NOT WANT!

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:24 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:Grand Theft Kart : Murder & Violence
Mario Themed GTA for the win. I'd buy it.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:No, all it did was make shovel wear/(crap)kiddie games more common.
Whilst no Wii Fanboys will admit it, it did. The Wii and DS both have terrible lineups of games, and the Wii isnt significantly cheaper too, I mean the controllers cost $50 :/

elementxmaster

Post by elementxmaster » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:07 am

Last edited by elementxmaster on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:
Dr. KillGood wrote:No, all it did was make shovel wear/(crap)kiddie games more common.
Whilst no Wii Fanboys will admit it, it did. The Wii and DS both have terrible lineups of games, and the Wii isnt significantly cheaper too, I mean the controllers cost $50 :/
The Wii's lineup is lacking, and I would argue that any Wii "fanboy" will admit this, I believe that if you give it time the games will come.

The DS does have a solid library of games, I don't own one but I know plenty of people who do and play it a lot.

Maybe no games you're interested in, but the games are there.

Those Lawyer games, Nintendogs, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (with Platinum on the way), New Super Mario Bros, that one weird surgery game, other games that don't come to mind.

Yet again, maybe you're not interested in those games, but plenty of people are.

Also, Game Man would be awesome.

Edit:

Also, 360 controllers really cost about the same as the Wiimote, a little less but not a huge amount less.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Bubbles wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:
The Wii's lineup is lacking, and I would argue that any Wii "fanboy" will admit this, I believe that if you give it time the games will come.

The DS does have a solid library of games, I don't own one but I know plenty of people who do and play it a lot.

Maybe no games you're interested in, but the games are there.

Those Lawyer games, Nintendogs, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (with Platinum on the way), New Super Mario Bros, that one weird surgery game, other games that don't come to mind.

Yet again, maybe you're not interested in those games, but plenty of people are.

Also, Game Man would be awesome.

Edit:

Also, 360 controllers really cost about the same as the Wiimote, a little less but not a huge amount less.
As a nintendo fanboy, I admit the games are lacking, but considering that Nintendo still comes out with its own great game, I'm not worried. It's just taking third-parties time to figure out how to use the new controllers to their full potential. sure, there will be a bunch of clone-games trying to copy what nintendo does, but eventually 3rd party develpers will start coming out with their own uses for the wiimote/balance board and games will start to pick up.
a wiimote + nunchuck is about $60, a 360 controller is about $50. wow, we're really getting screwed :roll:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Nobody's porting PS3/360 games to the Wii because it's so grossly underpowered taht they would have to dump a lot more money and time into development so they can gimp everything to its level. Like the Gamecube before it, the only exclusive titles it has that aren't shovelware tripe are Nintendo's first-party franchise games. It's the new Zeldadapter.

Not that Nintendo makes bad games, they're just way over-hyped for what they are (like GTA 4) and have a loud fanbase (like Apple).
grossaffe wrote:As a nintendo fanboy, I admit the games are lacking, but considering that Nintendo still comes out with its own great game, I'm not worried.
You should be worried, now that they've exhausted their supply of first-party franchises. The Wii has already had its own Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario platformer, Zelda, Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario Party, and Mario Sports titles. What's left? Kirby and Star Fox? Now that most of their popular games have had their own installments, they're going to have to rely on the "casual" game market, which will collapse (as fads do). We'll see a couple more games cashing in on the "alternative input" gimmick, maybe another 5 Mario Party titles, but then the market will continue on.
It's just taking third-parties time to figure out how to use the new controllers to their full potential.
The Wii's been out since November 2006. Surely they should know how to use them as well as Nintendo by now.

And where did you get the $50 price for the 360 controller? Everywhere I've checked (Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, Tiger Direct) have it listed for about $40.

As for the new Nintendo handheld, I dont' think they have a reason to at the moment. They're sitting pretty with their near-monopoly on that market. But when they do, it will basically be a PSP with a touch screen that runs on cartridges.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:24 pm

bicostp wrote:
grossaffe wrote:As a nintendo fanboy, I admit the games are lacking, but considering that Nintendo still comes out with its own great game, I'm not worried.
You should be worried, now that they've exhausted their supply of first-party franchises. The Wii has already had its own Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario platformer, Zelda, Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario Party, and Mario Sports titles. What's left? Kirby and Star Fox? Now that most of their popular games have had their own installments, they're going to have to rely on the "casual" game market, which will collapse (as fads do). We'll see a couple more games cashing in on the "alternative input" gimmick, maybe another 5 Mario Party titles, but then the market will continue on.
I'm not worried.

There's likely to be more Metroid in store, also likely more Zelda (which will likely be my big reason for buying a Wii, love Zelda).

I really do hope they make a new Kirby for Wii (though it's unlikely), really, this is crazy, but I would love a first person Kirby game, done in cell shaded style (ala Wind Waker), that would be sweet, just imagine having your enemies fly toward the screen, disappear, reappear, and then at the very top of the screen you can see a new hat, I would be so into that game I just can't even contain myself.

I've heard that a new Donkey Kong Country might be on the way, it of course will not be done by Rare, which is a cause for concern, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Star Fox could use a new game, that Game Cube thing they tried to give us was awful.

I'd love a new Pikmin.

Nintendo has no lack of great (IMHO) properties, and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Nintendo even come up with some new ones in the near future.

I am not worried.
It's just taking third-parties time to figure out how to use the new controllers to their full potential.
The Wii's been out since November 2006. Surely they should know how to use them as well as Nintendo by now.
There's no reason to think that, really, no one knows what's going to happen, I'm fairly confident good party third party games will come, but I could be wrong.
And where did you get the $50 price for the 360 controller? Everywhere I've checked (Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, Tiger Direct) have it listed for about $40.
The suggested retail value is $50, though it is available in many places at $40.

Still, the Wiimote is not that much more.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:28 pm

MSRP for Wii-mote is 39.99

Nun chuck 19.99

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Well, a new Kirby has been in development for quite some time, and there's rumors all over the place that they shoe-horned Pit into Brawl because they're going to attempt to revive Kid Icarus. :P The Wii's future is a bright one in that developers are starting to take it seriously, with Capcom developing an exclusive Bionic Commando, Konami all lined up for a new 2D Castlevania, The Conduit pushing Wii to new limits, Sonic Unleashed or whatever it's called, etc. As a Wii owner, I'm not at all worried.

As for Nintendo's new handheld, I have no doubt they'll put a virtual console-style system on it where you can buy new games. It would be cool if they were all transferrable from Wii/new Nintendo console to this new handheld, but I doubt that will happen. Online play for older titles would also kick ass, but again, I don't think Nintendo will go for that, either. As much as I loved my GameBoys, and as much fun as I had with the DS the first year or so, I think I'm done with mainstreamy handhelds. I had a PSP and used it solely for emulation/homebrew, loved my GP2x, and am now psyched for Pandora. Retro games and PC ports of stuff are far more important to me than the latest handheld exclusives, and to tell you the truth, I don't think I'm missing out on much.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Bubbles wrote:
bicostp wrote:
I'm not worried.

There's likely to be more Metroid in store, also likely more Zelda (which will likely be my big reason for buying a Wii, love Zelda).
Yeah, considering that Twilight Princess was originally developed for the GC, the Wii is still awaiting its turn.
I really do hope they make a new Kirby for Wii (though it's unlikely), really, this is crazy, but I would love a first person Kirby game, done in cell shaded style (ala Wind Waker), that would be sweet, just imagine having your enemies fly toward the screen, disappear, reappear, and then at the very top of the screen you can see a new hat, I would be so into that game I just can't even contain myself.
I would be interested in a new kirby, interested to see how he'd translate to the 3d world.
I've heard that a new Donkey Kong Country might be on the way, it of course will not be done by Rare, which is a cause for concern, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
I hope its true to Donkey Kong Country, I was getting nauseous seeing all these bongo DK games
Star Fox could use a new game, that Game Cube thing they tried to give us was awful.
I never played any of the gamecube ones. When I saw they were trying to bring al this on-foot stuff, it turned me off.
I'd love a new Pikmin.
never played it
Nintendo has no lack of great (IMHO) properties, and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Nintendo even come up with some new ones in the near future.

I am not worried.
agreed.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Well, a new Kirby has been in development for quite some time, and there's rumors all over the place that they shoe-horned Pit into Brawl because they're going to attempt to revive Kid Icarus. :P The Wii's future is a bright one in that developers are starting to take it seriously, with Capcom developing an exclusive Bionic Commando, Konami all lined up for a new 2D Castlevania, The Conduit pushing Wii to new limits, Sonic Unleashed or whatever it's called, etc. As a Wii owner, I'm not at all worried.
The Wii Kirby was abandoned if I recall correctly, which made me sad, a new Kid Icarus could be interesting, completely unaware that a new Bionic Commando and 2D Castlevania were in the works for Wii, that's really cool.
grossaffe wrote:I hope its true to Donkey Kong Country, I was getting nauseous seeing all these bongo DK games
Oh god yes, those were awful.
grossaffe wrote:I never played any of the gamecube ones. When I saw they were trying to bring al this on-foot stuff, it turned me off.
I didn't either, but I was just so turned off by them.

Apparently they weren't originally developed as Star Fox games and they just shoe horned Fox into in midstream, never a good sign.
I'd love a new Pikmin.
never played it
I'd recommend it, quite fun game.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Bubbles wrote:The Wii Kirby was abandoned if I recall correctly, which made me sad, a new Kid Icarus could be interesting, completely unaware that a new Bionic Commando and 2D Castlevania were in the works for Wii, that's really cool.
Last part of that. The cancellation was supposedly a rumor, and we're supposed to see the title at E3 this year alongside Animal Crossing Wii. I really hope it's shown, Kirby games were the first ones I ever owned myself. :P

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:34 pm

I don't get Kirby, its way easy and the only challenges are the boss fights.

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:then more recycled crap such as MKDS and SMDS which are rehashes of eariler titles, but if your a PSP owner what do you get? Sure remakes and rehashes, but they are good ones. Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX? yes please. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops? Yes please. Final Fantasy Crisis Core? Yes please
So you'd rather have a portable fighter(eww, fighters should be arcade and console only, unless it is made specifically for the portable, not a port), the weakest MGS game in the series and an FF7 cash-in(though a rather good one), over the best Mario Kart game in the series and a classic mario platformer?(which we haven't seen since mario all-stars' lost levels). Your logic hurts me.

The PSP is loaded with more ports than the DS, and the ports are it's only good games(few exceptions). Every system rehashes and they will til the end of time.

Also your comment about how sony always waits then wins in the end, except the PS2 where it won right off the bat, is crap because that means they've only done it once(ie the PS1), since the PSP and PS3 haven't won crap.

The PSP is a cool piece of hardware, but that's really it. Ports and Homebrew are its on;y saving graces(sure it has a few good games, but every system/portable has a few).

I know it seems like I'm coming off as a huge Nintendo fanboy, but I'm not. I like Nintendo stuff, lots of people do, but I'm not blind to the offerings of other systems. I owned a genesis for years before I got a SNES, same with my PS1 before my N64. Picked up a PS2 a year or 2 after the release(and purchase) of the gamecube. I also got a 360 a year after I got my Wii. Handhelds is the only place I've been Nintendo exclusive, but really there isn't much choice in that department.

The DS2(or GB even more Advanced) will probably sit around dreamcast quality(in terms of graphics). I would have said gamecube before the Wii, but it seems Nintendo isn't too interested in pumping out really good graphics(though they are pretty good at pushing hardware graphically when they want too). Touch screen will stick around, 2 screens is debatable. I hope it stays clam shell as it helps keep my screen scratch and dirt free. I think they'll stay cartridge based as long as possible, and with SD technology gaining more and more storage capacity all time, I think it is a good idea(unlike using carts for the N64).

The deal with Kirby is, although it is a rather simple game, its a fun and solid game. It isn't simple to the point of mind numbing, there is sufficient challenge, many secrets to locate(especially Kirby Superstar and the titles after it), and dozens of ways to approach any obstacle in the game(i.e the large amount of abilities). Could it be harder? Absolutely, and it would likely be better for it, but I still have a great time going through any Kirby game.
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(