What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Gunk
What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Post by Gunk » Mon May 19, 2008 9:32 pm

What is Nintendo gonna release as a follow-up to the DS? I heard that the GameBoy line is finished and DS is their new handheld line. I'm hoping they release something a little easier to use, and shaped better, I'm not a fan of flip-tops. I also hope their new handheld system will have virtual console or something. Anyone have any thoughts or word on Nintendo's portable future?

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Mon May 19, 2008 9:39 pm

This^

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon May 19, 2008 10:01 pm

I would seriously buy a Nintendo BS if they made it, just cuz it'd be sweet. 8)
I hope they keep the touchscreen, soup it up to GC+ graphics (maybe play GC games, they aren't much bigger than UMDs), and add some multimedia features (using SDHC, since their cheap as free compared to other cards).

I'm really looking to go with the Pandora, depending on what other features it has besides games. If it can pretty much replace a computer (web browsing, word processing, that fun stuff), I'll get one almost for sure.

neocopernicus

Post by neocopernicus » Mon May 19, 2008 10:20 pm

vskid wrote:I would seriously buy a Nintendo BS if they made it, just cuz it'd be sweet. 8)
I hope they keep the touchscreen, soup it up to GC+ graphics (maybe play GC games, they aren't much bigger than UMDs), and add some multimedia features (using SDHC, since their cheap as free compared to other cards).

I'm really looking to go with the Pandora, depending on what other features it has besides games. If it can pretty much replace a computer (web browsing, word processing, that fun stuff), I'll get one almost for sure.
I wouldn't want a portable that took CDs without some sort've protective enclosure. I do like UMDs, but my only problem is when dirt gets into them or I accidentally touch the disc. It can be a pain.

Isn't a Nintendo DS game card basically a stylized SD card? Why don't they continue to stick with something like that, only up the size? Perhaps make a hand held that could support multiple sizes (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, etc. games?).

Plus, add media capabilities a la PSP. I actually think the PSP is best in terms of hardware and firmware, but the Nintendo DS typically has better games. That's just my opinion, though.

neocopernicus

Post by neocopernicus » Mon May 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Actually, the more I think about it, the better I think it sounds. Make the next Nintendo hand held entirely SD card based and make it so the slot takes standard SD cards AND specialized Nintendo SD cards with the software built into them.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Tue May 20, 2008 12:41 am

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:Image

This^
Can't see it :(

I've heard they are going to remodel the DS again before making a new system, above post may or may not be about that but I'm still waiting for the DS Micro (even thought there would be hardly any space to use on the touchscreen haha)

neocopernicus

Post by neocopernicus » Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 am

wallydawg wrote:
Grandmasterjimmy wrote:Image

This^
Can't see it :(

I've heard they are going to remodel the DS again before making a new system, above post may or may not be about that but I'm still waiting for the DS Micro (even thought there would be hardly any space to use on the touchscreen haha)
Yeah, I've heard as much also. But when they break out of the DS line, I think they should stick with the game card idea.

Actually, I would sacrifice the dual screen for a crisper screen, much like the PSP.

I think the reason why Nintendo is largely behind their competitors in terms of technology is because they specialize in video games. Sony is an electronic company. Microsoft is a computer company. Nintendo has their niche in gaming and hence their strong point has to be innovation, as they do not have so much experience in other areas (perhaps their reluctance to do as their competitors do?). I think if they were to outsource their efforts to other companies (such as with the Panasonic Q, a stylized GameCube with DVD capabilities), they would be able to make a multimedia powerhouse.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue May 20, 2008 1:05 am

Nintendo BS - indeed BS - look at the layout of the screens in the pic - unusable and unworkable - in other words, "BS".

I love Nintendo products - it will be interesting to see what they bring out next. Personally I thought the GBA was ideal apart from the dark screen, the SP was too "squinty" on the screen and controls awkward, DS far from ideal and I don't like the touchscreen element.

If you think about it, Nintendo handhelds are a bit like our projects, have flaws and control issues but overall very good to use.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue May 20, 2008 3:29 am

They need a iPod touch like thing.

-Multi touch LCD.
-ONE LCD.
-SD cards (They wont it just makes piracy easier but its fun to hope.)
-Not a "clam shell" design.
-Lotsa' buttons and analog controls like Pandora.
-Powerful as a PS2 and I would be happy.
-Internal memory for music and crap
-Virtual console with CHEAPER GAMES, I already own 5 different copies of the original Mario Bros why do I need to pay $5 more dollars just to play it again?
-Built in web browser
-Full keyboard or USB port
-Gyroscope (whatever its called, so you can turn it on its side like the iPhone)
-Come on in all different colors at launch.
-You have to prove that you don't already have a dog before you buy Nintendogs (if you already have a dog just play with it not a game jeez)

DO NOT NEED
-Multi LCD's just annoying.
-Fail codes for online
-Only come out in 1 color at launch so you have to buy a second one just so you don't have freaking iPod white.
-To cost $200+

I would keep going but I'm bored now.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 am

Needs
-ONE screen
-A 16:9 Ratio Screen and not pathetic 4:3
-Better graphics than N64 tbh, PS2/GC quality would be excellent
-Less "Brain Age" style games
-Analog Controls + D-Pad

Doesn't Need
-A touch screen
-6 Million Colours

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 am

I think something with one D-pad, one analog stick, and at least 4 buttons, but no more then eight.

PSP has a lot of this right. The major flaw with it though is the mediums for data. UMD, while nice and all scratch too easily, and Memory sticks are/were too expensive.

At the moment with the increasing size of flash memory I think cartridges like the DS's are still the way to go. HCSD are sill expensive but do you really need a game on a hand-held system that is over 4GB is size.

And what Nintendo needs to do when they make the new hand-held is to have a community development possible. Cause I want to see more 2D games, and they just don't know how to make those anymore.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 am

It does so need a touch screen! They make navigating menus way easier!

GTFO if you think touch screens suck.

neocopernicus

Post by neocopernicus » Tue May 20, 2008 6:39 am

Sparkfist wrote:
And what Nintendo needs to do when they make the new hand-held is to have a community development possible. Cause I want to see more 2D games, and they just don't know how to make those anymore.
As long as one needs to acquire a "license" to boot directly from the gaming system's port, I see no issue. Otherwise, store shelves would be so inundated with crap it would destroy the system.

neocopernicus

Post by neocopernicus » Tue May 20, 2008 6:40 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:It does so need a touch screen! They make navigating menus way easier!

GTFO if you think touch screens suck.
Meh, I don't think they suck, but I'd take a screen with a crisper resolution over a touch screen any day.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue May 20, 2008 6:58 am

Let's see... If they follow their typical pattern, it will be like the Gamecube but less powerful. (Basically, a PSP.)

Think about it:

GBC = NES
GBA = SNES
DS = N64

We just have to predict what gimmick it will have.