What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm

which is entirely grounded on economic assumption...could you please point out to me the period at which Nintendo was at all in the tank, broke, breaking piggybanks
And you think you know what you're talking about because you can work Yahoo? I never said they were broke. I said they couldn't afford it. Hell, I'm not broke; does that mean I can develop a high end gaming system? What I said is based in reality, while your response is just the extreme negative reation of a fanboy faced with a simple truth.
The Wiimote is not cheap.
The Wiimote and its associated hardware is inexpensive to produce, despite what they decide to charge the consumers.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 am

Whee! Back to portable systems!

I just want something roughly PSP sized with an accelerometer in it, SD card slot, and a touch screen. Oh, and a mini USB port. I think that combination gives the most bang for the buck, even if homebrew support isn't supported out of the box (but when has that ever stopped it?).
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 am

bioniclebert wrote:I say, forget it all. I don't care about how everybody wants to say how they're "gamers" now. It annoys me but I can live with it. And I don't even care so much about how everybody else I know all owns their 360's and they're sucked in to all the fads like halo 3 and guitar hero. But what I'm most frustrated with, is that I'm sitting on a decent gaming PC playing TF2 and Counterstrike, not to mention a bunch of really good older games, with strangers, cause all the video game playing people I know are just too casual to really look at a game for it's gameplay rather than its graphics.
Agreed so much. You can't just beat a gaming PC. I'm sitting at a beast atm which I built myself (E6750/8800GT), and the game I play most is Counter Strike Source. Yes it can run Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Call of Duty 4 and Crysis.. but CSS is just so much better. Can't forget some TF2, DODS, Starcraft, Quake 3 Arena etc.

I'll stick to my PS3 for games like COD4, RSV2, Haze etc. when I need to be dazzled by graphics. I get a "whoah" feeling enough when I awp no-scope headshot someone on Dust2 8)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 am

teraflop122 wrote:
which is entirely grounded on economic assumption...could you please point out to me the period at which Nintendo was at all in the tank, broke, breaking piggybanks
And you think you know what you're talking about because you can work Yahoo? I never said they were broke. I said they couldn't afford it. Hell, I'm not broke; does that mean I can develop a high end gaming system? What I said is based in reality, while your response is just the extreme negative reation of a fanboy faced with a simple truth.
First off, how the hell am I a fanboy? Like I said before, I like my 360 just as much as my Wii, they just have different things to offer. And by stating that they couldn't "afford" to make a powerful console is stating that they lacked the funds to do so, and they clearly did not. You've given no numbers, statistics, or even a vague notion that you know what you're talking about when you make these assumptions, and right now, you just sound plain angry.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 7:49 am

Nintendo could quite easily create a console that could compete with the power of the 360 and PS3, but the demographic they were aiming for probably dont give 2 crap about High Def

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:51 am

Negative_Creep wrote:Nintendo could quite easily create a console that could compete with the power of the 360 and PS3, but the demographic they were aiming for probably dont give 2 crap about High Def
Agreed. They decided to go after a different market, and they learned that they didn't have to play the graphics card when they released the DS. The PSP is a much more powerful console, but which one is still selling like hotcakes? :P

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 am

The PSP is in japan at least :P

PSP would probably sell better if Sony remembered that it still exists.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Now could you please point out to me the period at which Nintendo was at all in the tank, broke, breaking piggybanks, etc.? No, you can't, because they have yet to see a period like that in the history of their company.
I could, early 60s Nintendo was in the tank, but never since they started making video games, which was your point.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Fri May 30, 2008 11:11 am

Negative_Creep wrote:The PSP is in japan at least :P

PSP would probably sell better if Sony remembered that it still exists.
Sony is playing a very dangerous game right now, they're trying to market three systems at once, never a good idea.

The PSP, the PS3, and the PS2 slim for people too poor to buy the PS3 (or people with negative interest in a PS3, such as myself).

My prediction on all this:

It's not going to work out.

Some thing's going to go wrong with this plan.

As far as I'm aware the only company that ever successfully managed to market two home consoles simultaneously was Sony (with the PS2 and PS1), but the PS1 had some mad gimmick and they basically marketed it for its smallness, pretty much marketing it as a portable system.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri May 30, 2008 11:32 am

Not really, Sony are waning down support of the PS2 at the minute and first-party development for PS2 is dead, it's a quick operation ran by Sony on the PS2 just producing them, marketing is no bother.. who doesn't know what a PS2 is.. not to mention all the games are either Sports titles or Movie Tie-ins, Kiddy games (that's obvious looking at the latest releases).. or in rare ocassion PSP ports (Syphon Filter games... please release one for PS3 >_>). First Party support for PS3 has just literally took off with Sony backing a lot of developers and franchises to find an ultimate killer app for the PS3, starting with Free Radical obviously. I think Sony know where they stand and are ready to play aggressive.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 pm

all the games are either Sports titles or Movie Tie-ins, Kiddy games (that's obvious looking at the latest releases)..
Thats not necessarily true. SNK is pretty much releasing every one of there hit games for it in packs. Arcana Hearts just came out in the States for the PS2 as well.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Bubbles wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:Now could you please point out to me the period at which Nintendo was at all in the tank, broke, breaking piggybanks, etc.? No, you can't, because they have yet to see a period like that in the history of their company.
I could, early 60s Nintendo was in the tank, but never since they started making video games, which was your point.
Hey, any company that's willing to make playing cards AND run "love hotels" on the side can't be doing too bad, can they? :wink:

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri May 30, 2008 1:23 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Hey, any company that's willing to make playing cards AND run "love hotels" on the side can't be doing too bad, can they? :wink:
Summary:
Nintendo

Mafia-style Japanese Pimps ---> Happy Mario Co.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Fri May 30, 2008 3:22 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:Hey, any company that's willing to make playing cards AND run "love hotels" on the side can't be doing too bad, can they? :wink:
Summary:
Nintendo

Mafia-style Japanese Pimps ---> Happy Mario Co.

SS
Which is an astoundingly inaccurate portrayal of love hotels.

Also, Nintendo's love hotels failed, that was when they were trying everything to make money, nothing really worked until they went into toys.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:Not really, Sony are waning down support of the PS2 at the minute and first-party development for PS2 is dead
Word up.

Wise decision on their part.