What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 pm

I want Nintendo to make two things (that they likely won't).

First, a virtual-console like handheld, where you can download old games for affordable prices and play them on the handheld...like an ultimate, official handheld emulator.

Second, I want a new Gameboy. Like, a portable Gamecube :P. Almost like Nintendo's version of the PSP. It'd have better graphics, a well designed case/controls, and (unlike the psp) be dedicated to gaming. Also, good, original games ;).

No casual market crap like with the Wii :x!
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue May 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Gamelver wrote:Second, I want a new Gameboy. Like, a portable Gamecube :P. Almost like Nintendo's version of the PSP. It'd have better graphics, a well designed case/controls, and (unlike the psp) be dedicated to gaming. Also, good, original games ;).

That'd be nice, but what incentive do they have to do that? The PSP's sales were nothing fantastic, whereas the DS and Wii may as well print money. :lol: In all honesty, I think these "casual gamers" aren't really going to leave us. I do think, however, that after this generation is done and over with and Nintendo has asserted its supreme marketplace dominance once again, more developers will start to take notice that there is a market for "hardcore" games on a platform like the Wii.

...that is, if Nintendo ditches this friend code crap and upgrades the hardware next time around. :roll:

slimjimmy

Post by slimjimmy » Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 am

Gamelver wrote:a virtual-console like handheld, where you can download old games for affordable prices and play them on the handheld!
They're bound to do that eventually. Like Ben said, Nintendo just seems to resell their old games (which is pointless to me, I already have them, shouldn't pay for them again).
Hello

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:56 am

If the next handheld isn't backwards compatible, I'll eat both my shoes.

BC means it'll have at least a DS cart slot, two screens arranged one atop the other, and at least the bottom screen will be a touch screen. So, basically, it'll look a heck of a lot like the DS Lite. Of course, the DS Lite looks great, so I see no problem with that.

Nintendo's portables have always relied on low cost, comparatively weak, power efficient technology.

I'm thinking they'll just rehash the DS Lite with a slightly faster ARM processor, internal memory, and virtual console support.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed May 21, 2008 11:35 am

Jongamer wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:I can't wait for this handheld to come out so Sony will better it
Sony can never better Nintendo at their own game, Nintendo has more than 19 years of handheld gaming experience. Sony computer Entertainment has 4.

having the top Hardware means nothing as History has shown.
It wasn't supposed to be more of a flame at Nintendo, since i'm not going to lie about how Nintendo's strangehold on handhelds has only been loosened by the PSP, when competitors with the Game Boy such as the Game Gear, Atari Lynx and WonderSwan.. hell even the Neo Geo Pocket didn't do jack... but Sony will play the waiting game likewise with PS3 and just take the market by storm, and then pay attention and release many a high profile title , trying not to give Nintendo the oppertunity and leave it too little, too late. They do it every time, except with the PS2.

EDIT: I think if Nintendo do take a PSP style run, then Sony will just throw a countermeasure at them, but I doubt Nintendo will make a flat-out gaming handheld like the PSP, they will try something new and innovative out.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed May 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:I doubt Nintendo will make a flat-out gaming handheld like the PSP, they will try something new and innovative out.
In other words, Nintendo doesn't give a rat's behind about hardware capabilities as long as it's cheap, it's "good enough", they have a cute gimmick, and they can sell you their entire game library again. :|

The problem is they've been dragging behind in recent years. When was the last time they had superior hardware and market dominance? The early 90s when the Super Nintendo came out. They've gone from technical innovation to "I'm cheap and can do X" to remain competitive, and in today's evolving market that won't last for long.

The N64 and, by a wider margin, Gamecube both lagged behind their competitors. The Wii is selling because a. it's cheap, b. it's got a cute gimmick, and c. parents trust Nintendo to keep their kids safe from the 'big bad M rated games'.

Am I just completely bashing them? Maybe. However, I believe they can do a lot better. Back in the day they led the field, now they're playing catch-up and passing cute gimmicks off as 'innovation'. It's going to catch up to them eventually, because can only repackage the same thing so many times.

Nintendo, go back to the 80s and 90s for your R&D and marketing, not your code and hardware.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed May 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Gamelver wrote:I want Nintendo to make two things (that they likely won't).

First, a virtual-console like handheld, where you can download old games for affordable prices and play them on the handheld...like an ultimate, official handheld emulator.

Second, I want a new Gameboy. Like, a portable Gamecube :P. Almost like Nintendo's version of the PSP. It'd have better graphics, a well designed case/controls, and (unlike the psp) be dedicated to gaming. Also, good, original games ;).

You had me until the last part.

No reason for them to do that, the "casual market crap" has made them a lot of money.

Period.

They would be stupid to abandon that.

They should however get a Virtual Console, though it probably won't be "affordable" by your standards, I can see why you'd complain about prices of the games, but it's not designed for people who already own the games so the prices aren't really unreasonable at all.

I would really dig me some like Game Boy, Game Gear, or Neo Geo Pocket and stuff, which (to me) seems most likely what would be on there for Virtual Console.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed May 21, 2008 12:10 pm

bicostp wrote:In other words, Nintendo doesn't give a rat's behind about hardware capabilities as long as it's cheap, it's "good enough", they have a cute gimmick, and they can sell you their entire game library again. :|
This is nothing new, Nintendo is all about making their games fun, technical specs are second.

The Genesis was technically superior to the SNES despite coming out first, Nintendo never cared and just focused on gaming, now Sega doesn't even make systems anymore and is pretty much just Nintendo's female of the dog species (EDIT: this is not how I wrote it, but I like it better this way).

Even before that, the Master System was technically better, it just never got the games.

Nintendo knows what matters when making a good system and a successful system and won't waste time or money making it anything more than what it is, a gaming system, if you don't want that in a system, buy a PSP or something.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed May 21, 2008 12:36 pm

bicostp wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:I doubt Nintendo will make a flat-out gaming handheld like the PSP, they will try something new and innovative out.
In other words, Nintendo doesn't give a rat's behind about hardware capabilities as long as it's cheap, it's "good enough", they have a cute gimmick, and they can sell you their entire game library again. :|

The problem is they've been dragging behind in recent years. When was the last time they had superior hardware and market dominance? The early 90s when the Super Nintendo came out. They've gone from technical innovation to "I'm cheap and can do X" to remain competitive, and in today's evolving market that won't last for long.

The N64 and, by a wider margin, Gamecube both lagged behind their competitors. The Wii is selling because a. it's cheap, b. it's got a cute gimmick, and c. parents trust Nintendo to keep their kids safe from the 'big bad M rated games'.

Am I just completely bashing them? Maybe. However, I believe they can do a lot better. Back in the day they led the field, now they're playing catch-up and passing cute gimmicks off as 'innovation'. It's going to catch up to them eventually, because can only repackage the same thing so many times.

Nintendo, go back to the 80s and 90s for your R&D and marketing, not your code and hardware.
Yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head... what innovative they shell out, will get crap like Brain Age and all that crap, okay Nintendo thanks.. then more recycled crap such as MKDS and SMDS which are rehashes of eariler titles, but if your a PSP owner what do you get? Sure remakes and rehashes, but they are good ones. Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX? yes please. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops? Yes please. Final Fantasy Crisis Core? Yes please.

Nintendo waste so much time on their gimmicky hardware that Sony just pull out a pure excellent lineup of software

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed May 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Bic, Nintendo was founded on gimmicks. I mean, look at the NES. They had absolutely no way to market it, and I think that kid who played it on the New York City street corner said it best with his "This is s***" comment. Initially, they had nothing to go on. So what did Nintendo do? Mix up the design to make it look like a "futuristic" VCR, give it a spiffy name and appearance that separated it from mainstream consoles at the time, and slap some stupid robot's grille all over it to sell it to kids.

Look, I'm not saying that Nintendo isn't far worse at the gimmicks today as it was then. It is. However, they tried to be the "hardcore" system for the N64 and Gamecube, and look where it got them. Once they're king of the hill again and developers are forced to make good 3rd party games on platforms like the Wii, Nintendo will eventually return to it's Golden Age glory. Until then, sit down, shut up, and play No More Heroes! :lol:

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm

It outstands me that people would even want a Wii over a PS3 or a 360 tbh. Nintendo are making a good short-term decision.. but how long can casual games be fun for?

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Wed May 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Wii = Cool for the first 5 hours, then you get tired of swinging your arms everywhere and just want to push a freaking button.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Bubbles wrote:The Genesis was technically superior to the SNES despite coming out first
This would be a good point if it wasn't flat out incorrect. The Super Nintendo outclassed the Genesis by a wide margin, which is one reason it lasted so long into the 32 bit era. I've seen the 32x called "the Super Nintendo adapter for your Genesis" on a few occasions.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Wed May 21, 2008 6:43 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Wii = Cool for the first 5 hours, then you get tired of swinging your arms everywhere and just want to push a freaking button.
Really? Have you tried a Wii? Are they that bad?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Aguiluz wrote:
Dr. KillGood wrote:Wii = Cool for the first 5 hours, then you get tired of swinging your arms everywhere and just want to push a freaking button.
Really? Have you tried a Wii? Are they that bad?
Not quite, but if I got a Wii, I would use a GC controller as often as possible.

If I got a Wii... (PS3 is my first choice, followed closely by a 360, Wii is way back there)