Take that Microsoft!!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gannon
Take that Microsoft!!

Post by gannon » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:10 pm

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Awww... So cute...Hey, get away! *SHWING* AGHHH!!!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:36 pm

Bet the PHLAK lux can take on the Kill Bill tux any day.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Last edited by bicostp on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:54 pm

why is everyoneso anti-microsoft. Sure they stole ideas and software from other people like the guy the made DOS. Everyone did. I just cant afford windows.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Dont forget that Microsoft also sells 98 and ME for well over $100 even though they're hardly supported. They lie about their compation and act like windows is the best. When you have over 200 security hole, your "Our product is the best and most secure" is void.

I just wish that people would stop listening to companies like Microsoft and make up their own mind on what they think is good or not.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:55 pm

Ah.... the wonderfull security they offer :lol:

MM007

Post by MM007 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:51 am

...I dislike Microsoft's business practices, but their OSes ARE convenient, though not always secure.

Linux, though, is fast approaching that convenience, I hear, and I plan to take a Linux course in college next semester.

The Windows OS on my computer is shaking in fear down to its kernel.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:28 am

Alright MM007! I'm going to take my final for Linux on Saturday. Even if your teacher offers to help with installation, I still say its easier and more convienoint to have it one its own hard drive. Saves you from backing up files, crounging up room from the windows partiion.

I am a geek.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Wow. You have to take a course to use Linux? It's that hard? Maybe I should try to learn. Hmmm...
-Luke

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:22 pm

Now, the 200 security holes thing is really silly to put in. If you look at the bug list for Linux, there are TONS there too. Technically, they outnumber Windows. Though there's no way one can count flaws that haven't been found yet. The Linux/Windows war is really silly, IMO. There are plenty of stances people can take, but let's face some facts:
- Windows has more software.
- That software is often what really causes Windows to crash and have security holes.
- Windows' real problem is the registry. If not for that, it would likely be quite stable.
- Linux needs more unity in its implementation to get it to be as usable to the typical user as Windows is. For example, Linux has two major X desktop environments, and both are bloated, just like Windows XP. People have the choice to not use either, but then lose the ability to run software that is KDE or GNOME-specific (though with some hackery, the libraries themselves will restore that, but that's beyond the capabilities of the typical user).

I think Linux and Windows are both great operating systems, but I don't think Linux is capable of taking over much of the user space Windows owns, because of its difficult learning curve. Certainly, it is a powerful OS, and has its uses, but so does Windows.

All of the information most of you have mentioned against Windows was written by Linux zealots that have difficulties looking at problems with their own OS. I'm not saying Linux isn't great--I personally use it occasionally on my PC. But it certainly also has its share of flaws, and many of them are so deep in the OS that they'll never be changed. Of course, if you need a free OS, Linux is the bomb :) It's probably the most user friendly for the price.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:29 pm

Keep in mind, There are hundreds of distributions of linux, all made by a thousand different people. XP, on the other hand, originates from a single company with thousands of employees who are paid great sums of money to sit on their @$$es and find problems with the system. Linux engineers are usually paid squat.
Last edited by bicostp on Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm not saying Linux isn't a good thing! I'm just saying that those hundreds of distributions of Linux is what keeps it from the user market. People have trouble deciding which is best (even people in the Linux community fight about this regularly) for home users. They all have specific purposes, which makes it lose to a general purpose OS like Windows.

I applaud the efforts of all who have made Linux a reality. But there are some facts that need to be faced if it is to be a contender. That's all I'm trying to say.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:16 pm

The thing I like most about linux is it's stability and it's features.
When you're a web programmer it's really nice to have your own webserver to test things on :)

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:43 pm

I am more anti-Nintendo than Microsoft. At least Microsoft lets you download new updates of a product every year without making you buy the entire product all over again.

Gee, to what could I be referring???