Keypad creation (PC)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

RabidGuineapig
Keypad creation (PC)

Post by RabidGuineapig » Sun May 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Here's the deal, I am planning on making a macro keyboard for Age of Conan, I'm only making one so lets not over complicate this.

The keypad is going to go next to my keyboard and is going to have 5 keys on it (left, right up, left up, right up) for my five fingers, I plan on making this ergonomic so my open hand can just sit on it (F*ck WASD) I think Ill also put keys around it at the top and right side for shortcuts.

Now, I have access to thin gauge aluminum/stainless, and I have a tig welder, drillpress, plasma cutter etc.; so my question is not how to make the encasing, but how do I make the keys and program them?
thanks,
anon
PS:Lets assume I have an extra unused usb keyboard lying around that I can use for scrap.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun May 11, 2008 4:45 pm

RabidGuineapig

Post by RabidGuineapig » Sun May 11, 2008 5:39 pm

I have one, thats not what I was asking for asswipe.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun May 11, 2008 5:49 pm

RabidGuineapig wrote:I have one, thats not what I was asking for a**wipe.
*clears throat*
Lucretius wrote:1. No trolling, flaming, spamming, etc. Nobody wants to read some lame one-word post that is a waste of time. Respect other people and don't be a moron. If you have to cuss out someone you don't like, this is not the place to do it. Be sure not to post irrelevant topics or in the threads of such topics. Also do not post in a spam-bot's thread.
Be nice. :) We'll try to help. Can you give us a rough sketch of what you are trying to make?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun May 11, 2008 5:52 pm

I'd say that you gut the USB keyboard and use its innards to talk to the computer. Then you figure out what wires from the keyboard controller correspond to each key you'll be using (I assume you'll use "w" for up, etc), you should be able to understand what I mean once you get it open. Shouldn't be too hard, it'll just take a bit of time and effort.

And being nice is the key to success here, even if he does deserve to be called harsher things most of the time. :wink:

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 pm

I think your speaking of something kinda like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823146004

?
This isn't the chans!

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun May 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Buy a number pad keyboard, the numpad only ones,
Get some software that make those keys programmable
Program to your preference.
??????????????????????????????
PROFIT!

underclocked

Post by underclocked » Sun May 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Go away Dr.Killgood. please.

RabidGuineapig

Post by RabidGuineapig » Sun May 11, 2008 6:03 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:I think your speaking of something kinda like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823146004

?
This isn't the chans!
Yes, thats what I'm talking about, thank you. And he thinks this is /b/ kind of funny, look at the post bellow yours. he is what they at 4chan refer to as a "newfag" or "cancer". I only lashed out at him because he is an obvious troll.

My question is how would I make one of those? I could buy I but I would rather make it (even if it cost more money) I have a scrap usb keyboard, but how would I go about dissecting it? Can I just simpily cut the plastic contact paper? Is there any way to just make keys (from scratch) how would you connect them to the usb cord?

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun May 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Buy a number pad keyboard, the numpad only ones,
Get some software that make those keys programmable
Program to your preference.
??????????????????????????????
PROFIT!
You are doing it WRONG

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun May 11, 2008 7:36 pm

RabidGuineaPig: For 3 posts you have quite a bit of attitude. Stop it. Nobody here would miss you if someone was to slip and accidentally ban you. Show some respect, quit any sort of derogatory statements, and you might be here a little longer.
Hey, sup?

hockeyfreak186

Post by hockeyfreak186 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 pm

What are you, his mom? :-P

If you wanted to make one by scratch, you could vacuum form a housing and some keys.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun May 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Let's stay on topic guys. Kurt, RabidGuineapig was completely in the right since Dr. KillGood was being a jerk (and I'm sure he knew it), so let's not yell at him.

RGp, for your keypad you might want to find an older keyboard that doesn't use the film and actually has a PCB or something along those lines. That might be easier to hack apart.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sun May 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Black Six wrote:RGp, for your keypad you might want to find an older keyboard that doesn't use the film and actually has a PCB or something along those lines. That might be easier to hack apart.
You can try to find a really old one that actually has switches. would be really easy then.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Mon May 12, 2008 12:17 am

Rekarp wrote:
Black Six wrote:RGp, for your keypad you might want to find an older keyboard that doesn't use the film and actually has a PCB or something along those lines. That might be easier to hack apart.
You can try to find a really old one that actually has switches. would be really easy then.
Just wanted to say that I have never found a keyboard with actual switches.
All the ones I have opened have had a thin film with conductive traces. :?
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure