Petition? Star Wars!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Petition? Star Wars!

Post by Kurt_ » Tue May 06, 2008 9:08 am

Ever since Ep 3 came out, I've wanted the original trilogy remade. It's been nearly 40 years!

What do I do about it, and who agrees/disagrees?
Hey, sup?

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue May 06, 2008 9:13 am

Totally! Bring on the new-age graphics and tech. It'd be awesome.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

DK

Post by DK » Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock:

Never liked remakes and of such a classic film. People would expect too much from it and even if it was excellent we'd all think it was a disappointment.

Also the new trilogy sucks
:lol:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue May 06, 2008 9:28 am

A remake would KILL the original trilogy. So, no. No no no no no. NO!

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 am

Don't touch it :P

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 am

NO WAY.

A re-release of the ORIGINAL theatriocal cuts? As in, NOT the special edition edited crap, the REAL original films, the only change in widescreen and not Pan-and-Scan? YES PLEASE :D

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Tue May 06, 2008 10:17 am

*puts on his nitpick hat*

It's only been thirty years, not forty.

Otherwise I agree. Don't remake the original trilogy. It's stood the test of time as it is, and if you go back and watch them, you'll notice certain little things that pop out, making you realize it was already part of the storyline (though certain things may have been changed slightly to better suit theatrical tastes when the first 3 episodes came out). Such little touches, to me at least, are worth their weight in gold, considering the difference in time between Episode VI and I.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue May 06, 2008 10:18 am

I hope you don't really mean, recast and make some chances to the original story, you know like all re-makes. Because that's a bad idea. I think the movies are fine the way they are, a minor improvement after digital re-mastering.

Star Wars needs only one thing done as far as I see it. Give us episode 7-9. I don't care about the series that is Episode 3.5, I want to see on screen the rise of the New Republic, the complete defeat of the Empire, Leia becoming a Jedi, and Luke turning to the darkside. That's all I want.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 am

I don't have a strong feeling either way.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 am

HELL NO :evil:

It's bad enough he's going through and re-dubbing some lines, and replaced the original guy with Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi. (Why would he look exactly the same 20+ years later? That does not make sense.)

That would be like changing Raiders of the Lost Ark. It shouldn't happen. (Just like replacing the guns in ET with walkie-talkies. That never should have happened.)

The 1997 edits to the explosions were okay, but enough is enough.

EDIT:
Sparkfist wrote:Star Wars needs only one thing done as far as I see it. Give us episode 7-9.
YES

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am

To the OP

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that this should happen!

Hollywood already makes to many remakes as it is. If they were to remake something as cherished as the original Star Wars films I think Hollywood would be smited from the Earth.

As far as the effects are concerned. I think the original trilogy holds up remarkably well. That is a big part of the reason that the movies have stood the test of time. The effects don't look dated at all.

The new trilogy has its own look and that is all well and good, but it wouldn't make sense to try to make the original trilogy look the same. They take place in different time periods (roughly 20 years pass between the end of ep. III and the beginning of ep. IV). A lot can change in 20 years. I can tell you firsthand that the world is a much different place today than it was in 1988.

If Hollywood feels like they need to remake something, let them remake Commando with The Rock in it and Rambo with Vin Diesel. I love the original Commando, but it would be fun to see The Rock have a true Arnold-esque role. And Vin deserves something fun too so give him Rambo already!

I don't think there is anything to fear with regards to a remake of the original trilogy though. George Lucas holds all the rights and is very, very protective of Star Wars. I think there is a better chance of seeing episodes 7-9 (about as likely as me winning an Oscar) made than seeing the originals remade.
Negative_Creep wrote:NO WAY.

A re-release of the ORIGINAL theatriocal cuts? As in, NOT the special edition edited crap, the REAL original films, the only change in widescreen and not Pan-and-Scan? YES PLEASE :D
The original trilogy is already available in widescreen on DVD... They're just not anamorphic or as cleaned up as the special edition versions...
bicostp wrote:It's bad enough he's going through and re-dubbing some lines, and replaced the original guy with Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi. (Why would he look exactly the same 20+ years later? That does not make sense.)
That never made any sense to me either. Luke wouldn't even know who the hell he is! Since, as far as I know, he's never seen a picture of his father. The only reasoning I could see for it is that maybe that was when he was last "non-Dark-side Anakin" so that is the form he takes after death...

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am

Have you ever heard the Chinese Proverb...

"Don't fix something that isn't broken."?

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue May 06, 2008 1:37 pm

gamer2 wrote:Have you ever heard the Chinese Proverb...

"Don't fix something that isn't broken."?
I was going to post that but you beat me :P

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue May 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Yeah, but we're benheckers. We fix things that ain't broken. :P

I love the original trilogy. I agree about the little things (Like when Old Obi admits to Luke he fought in the clone wars). Those are great, it shows planning like nothing else. I mean, they planned it 30 years in advance. Also, the Star Wars Encyclopedia really confirms how well-planned the Star Wars stories are.

However.

I don't like how the Tie Fighters make sounds in space, explode in space (except for whatever oxygen is in the cockpit), the lasers make sparks on everything they hit, puppet yoda, etc. etc. etc.

I simply feel it could be improved. I mean, the special effects in the ep 1-3 are great. I don't want an edited story. I want the same story, but with a more HD friendly viewing experience, with more realistic effects.
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue May 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I don't like how the Tie Fighters make sounds in space, explode in space (except for whatever oxygen is in the cockpit), the lasers make sparks on everything they hit
That would still happen. Have you ever seen a movie in which that didn't happen? And how fun would a space battle be with no sound?
Kurt_ wrote:puppet yoda
Puppet Yoda owns the crappy CG Yoda. The reason CG is used now isn't because its better, its because its cheap.