Why NOT linux?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:29 am

i use windows operating systems primarily but have ubuntu installed on my desktop and i like it, its different from windows, loads a HELL of a lot faster doesnt seem to go randomly retarded as often either. to be honest if i could use any alternative OS on my pc it would be amiga OS4, unfortunatly that isnt possible but amigaOS is amazing, back in the late 80s early 90s amiga made macs windows and unix/linux OSes look retarded and backwards in compairson, the worlds first truly preemtive multitasking os, high res high color graphics full GUI(drag and drop, resizable windows, multitasking etc) 4096 colors on screen at once, built in text to speech engine customizable icons and backgrounds and this was in 1985! and it got better too, a copy of OS4 can boot fully (from off to up and running programs) in under 10 seconds! and os4 looks damn good too!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:39 am

Triton wrote:i use windows operating systems primarily but have ubuntu installed on my desktop and i like it, its different from windows, loads a HELL of a lot faster doesnt seem to go randomly retarded as often either. to be honest if i could use any alternative OS on my pc it would be amiga OS4, unfortunatly that isnt possible but amigaOS is amazing, back in the late 80s early 90s amiga made macs windows and unix/linux OSes look retarded and backwards in compairson, the worlds first truly preemtive multitasking os, high res high color graphics full GUI(drag and drop, resizable windows, multitasking etc) 4096 colors on screen at once, built in text to speech engine customizable icons and backgrounds and this was in 1985! and it got better too, a copy of OS4 can boot fully (from off to up and running programs) in under 10 seconds! and os4 looks damn good too!
Agree there, AmigaOS is excellent.

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:11 am

Negative_Creep wrote:Linux is a waste of time...

1. Compatablity problems, I want to play games, not mess about with them for ages.

2. It's butt ugly, yeah most people won't care, but it has a horrible colour scheme.

3. The GUI.. its really nasty and difficult to get used to, different from windows for no reason.

4. Very un-user friendly.. Windows has tool tips and stuff to get you started, Linux is like being thrown in the deep end of the pool.

5. DirectX 10... no DX10 support? I think 7 series cards is calling.

6. Driver Support.. it's a struggle getting everything to work properly with Linux, I just want to game, not mess around

7. crap application replacements... Openoffice and GIMP? I don't buy ASDA cola, I dont use cheap programs. Photoshop and MS Office.

Windows Vista beats Ubuntu Linux so badly... sorry.
1. WINE will solve most problems
2. ...So? you can always change the color scheme.
3. It's not really all that difficult.
4. Well, to use your analogy, if you're thrown into the deep end, you learn to tread water. you don't get any benifit if you stand in the shallow end.
5. This was a reasonable
6.It took about one week to get everything to work in ubuntu, it's not as hard as it sounds.
7. They aren't crappy programs. They are different than the MS programs, and if you only know how to use them, then you need to get used to them. It's like roller blading: you fall a few times at first, but you get used to it.
8. *slaps head* I've run vista. it is pretty terrible. It's a bad mac impersonation.

Besides, linux is free,

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:44 am

8. *slaps head* I've run vista. it is pretty terrible. It's a bad mac impersonation.
Yeah because Vista quite clearly rips off OSX. When you happened to run Vista did you run it on a PC that can handle it? People who say Vista is slow = have crap PCs.
This was a reasonable.
Yeah thats pretty much the intelligence of a linux user.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:24 am

Black Six wrote: What facts are you referring to? There has been a lot of misinformation and fanboyism in this topic. If you're talking about Linux not getting viruses, the truth is there are a lot less out there for Linux than Windows, so it's kind of like a security through obscurity. I have heard that there are fewer security flaws in Linux than Windows, but that can be debated until we all turn blue.
Actually ,it's due to the fact that you don't have root access under linux

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:24 am

Negative_Creep wrote:
Yeah because Vista quite clearly rips off OSX. When you happened to run Vista did you run it on a PC that can handle it? People who say Vista is slow = have crap PCs.
This was a reasonable.
I can handle slow. Vista is just so tedious to work with and glitchier than hell.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:28 am

Negative_Creep wrote:
This was a reasonable.
Says the guy who has been ignorant and just been throwing out random insults in this thread. Seriously, grow up.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:
This was a reasonable.
Trust me, you don't want to start a grammar war around here... especially if I know about it. :evil:
Negative_Creep should have wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much the intelligence of a Linux user.
So many typos for only one sentence. :roll:

I've dabbled a bit in a few distros of Linux. I first tried out a Knoppix LiveCD, and I loved it. It had some great programs and it ran much faster than XP on the machine I used it on, at least. Sometimes I would pop in the CD just to browse the internet a bit faster. :P

After that, I decided to take on the choir of installing Debian from scratch on a secondary HDD in my P-II... It took a few hours, but I actually did it. :lol: I mistakenly thought my little Pentium II was powerful enough to run KDE, but it was just a bit too slow. Not feeling like finding a more suitable desktop environment, I decided to format my hard drive and chalk that up to a learning experience.

Then I installed Ubuntu on the same computer, but this time to dual boot with the Windows 98 OS I already had on it. This is the best solution for me, as I can just restart and boot up in Linux if I want to muck around with it. But... I'm having trouble installing my video card drivers for it, so I can only work in a 640x480 resolution. :(

It's pretty much exactly what everyone else has been saying: Compatibility. Everything's written for Windows. It's the same problem Macs were having before they became oh-so-popular. Now, more and more people are starting to write their programs for Windows and Macs. Image

Oh, and to whoever bashed Firefox, shut up. I'm a webmaster, and I know for a fact that FF is more W3C compatible than Opera OR IE, and you can't argue with W3C specification. :roll:

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Opera did better at that smiley displaying test, though. A frind of mine and I were talking about it the other night and he said "I think the only browsers passing it are some browsers specifically made to pass it, with like no features at all" So I went ahead tested it with IE6 (it was a mess, there was red all over the place, as if the smiley had literally exploded) IE7 on my fathers vista (same), firefox (it kind of, but not quite displayed) and then lastly opera, in which it displayed perfectly.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm

gamecube6 wrote:1. WINE will solve most problems
2. ...So? you can always change the color scheme.
3. It's not really all that difficult.
4. Well, to use your analogy, if you're thrown into the deep end, you learn to tread water. you don't get any benifit if you stand in the shallow end.
5. This was a reasonable
6.It took about one week to get everything to work in ubuntu, it's not as hard as it sounds.
7. They aren't crappy programs. They are different than the MS programs, and if you only know how to use them, then you need to get used to them. It's like roller blading: you fall a few times at first, but you get used to it.

Besides, linux is free,
1. :lol: That's a good one. WINE is a half-assed compatibility layer that runs most of what Windows 98 can. (Remember, 98 is 10 years old now.) I've used it, it's not very good. If they want to run commercial software, they need to work on running OS X software, since it's designed to run on a Unix architecture.
2. But if you don't like how the desktop environments (or entire file structure) are structured in the first place, you're what's known in technical circles as "screwed".
3. You either have to re-learn where everything is, or the environment becomes so similar to Windows that you start thinking in "Windows Mode", which makes it harder to learn.
4. You don't learn how to tread water, you gasp and sputter, thrash around wildly, use up all your energy, and sink to the bottom.
5. That makes no
6. It took about 10 minutes to get everything working on Windows for just about every computer I've reinstalled. The worst trouble I've had was with an old PCI SCSI adapter on XP.
7. There are some decent Linux programs, but several were originally written by real companies. (For example, OpenOffice was originally a Sun Microsystems project, Mozilla and Firefox have their roots in Netscape Navigator, and Open Arena is just a new art pack on top of Quake III.) Besides, any Linux program worth using has a native port for Windows and Mac OS X. Aside form the heavy hitters, what do you have besides little redundant projects, abandoned forks, and cheap knock-off imitations?
8. Vista does suck, but Windows 2000 and XP kick ass.

You get what you pay for.

theelk

Post by theelk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:People who say Vista is slow = have crap PCs.
So we should all buy expensive, top of the line computers to run a crappy OS? You're making less and less sense.
I don't want to make an "I'm leaving" thread, but I've sort of lost interest in this board. So if you notice that I'm gone, that's why.

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:32 pm

FLAME WAR: ROUND 2

BEGIN!
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:26 pm

I like PC gaming, so I run Windows XP. If most games were released on Mac OS, I'd run Mac OS. If most games were released on linux, I'd run linux.

That's really all it's about for me. I got bored of the whole fanboyism thing a few years ago (IE: I grew up).

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Electric Rain wrote:Oh, and to whoever bashed Firefox, shut up. I'm a webmaster, and I know for a fact that FF is more W3C compatible than Opera OR IE, and you can't argue with W3C specification. :roll:
Jebus man, calm down, this is what I'm talking about. I'm listing a few petty annoyances it has that make me not want to use it, and overexpressing them. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's vastly overrated, and has an obnoxious religious cult egotistic fanbase.

Back to vista. Vista requries a fast computer not because it's amazing, or has great features, or is revolutionary. It requires a fast computer because it is inefficient. It has unecessary features, most of which are hidden and can not be turned off.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Agree there, AmigaOS is excellent.
the ONLY sensible thing you have said in this thread! :lol: