The new Macbooks

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

5M05H13

Post by 5M05H13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:12 pm

hmm macbook...why? yeah its got decent specs but i think i would rather stick with my 800mhz p3 with 512mb ram and a 80gb hdd than even look at a mac
My PCs Specs:
AMD 4800+ (2.5Ghz Dual Core)
2GB RAM (2x1GB)
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT (512MB)
320GB of Storage (1x160GB. 2x80GB)
LG DVD Burner
860W PSU
LG 19" Widescreen DVI and VGA LCD Monitor (1440x900)
Logitech X530 5.1 Sound System

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:41 pm

you know who wrote:blah blah macs suck blah
If you don't have anything constructive to add, just ignore this thread.

Like I said, a 13" Dell laptop with basically identical specs is within $150 of the price of the top end Macbook. That's not that big of a deal.

And now that they're running on Intel architecture (as opposed to PowerPC), Macs are just as expandable as 'PCs' are. Jeez, you guys, it's not 1997 anymore. :roll:

EDIT: I'm not trying to single anyone out; it's just that whenever anyone starts talking about Macs, the flamers come out of the woodwork with the same misconceptions that were invalid 10 years ago. Older Power Macs had PCI slots, and the new ones are basically PCs with high standards.
Last edited by bicostp on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:47 pm

While technically expandable, it is difficult to upgrade the laptop via consumer methods. The MacBook lacks a PCMCIA or SuperCard port, which makes it very difficult to expand. Don't pretend that USB is a good alternative; it's horridly slow.

5M05H13

Post by 5M05H13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:07 pm

ok ok i apologise for my previous post..as u can probably tell i dnt like mac...but hey if there was sum way that i knew of to get one of the macbook in question and put windows xp on it i would actually consider it...i will admit apple make good products but i just dnt like their user interface...
sorry again for my previous hate related post
My PCs Specs:
2GB RAM (2x1GB)
LG DVD Burner
860W PSU

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:21 pm

5M05H13 wrote:blah blah ignorant words blah words words
*facepalm*

VMWare fusion and Parallels desktop have been around for ages! Boot Camp is possible too, but if you use that, avoid the Core Duo macbooks, as mine runs OSX, XP, Vista, and Linux pretty terribly.

5M05H13

Post by 5M05H13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 pm

for one i was talking about having only winxp not dual boot..adn obviously i can tell anything i say will just lead to a quote of me.. blah blah macs suck ignorant words whatever..i was just merely expressing my feelings about macs..either way i will no longer bother you in here :x
My PCs Specs:
2GB RAM (2x1GB)
LG DVD Burner
860W PSU

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Lets put it this way. Macs are good if you want to looks stylish, use a rock solid OS, do video/audio editing, or just want to spend money.

I'm willing to see that you do pay a premium on them, however as Bic mentioned you do get high quality hardware. And as for expandability, you'll run into road block with every computer. As for PCMCIA, what would you be planning to put in there? Audio's good enough, video you should be happy enough with unless you want an import card, get a USB hub for more ports, Firewire is dead, all computers have built-in wifi cards, really what would you use a PCMCIA card slot for?

And the new Macbook, the thin one. I think it's damn cool. If I didn't already have too many laptops, and I had the money I would seriously consider buying one. The fact it's think and light really appeal to someone that carries a backpack full of computer equipment around everywhere.

One last note. We know there are those of you out there that don't like Macs, and we'lltry not to get after you so long as both sides honor a simple rule. If you're going to bad mouth something, even if it's how you feel, you should give a reason. "I don't like the way it's laid out", "I think Macs are over priced fashion accessories", "OS X is over rated", "I'm someone that hasn't touched or looked at a Mac because I think they have coodies." Those are reasons, use them to back up statements.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:09 pm

"As for PCMCIA, what would you be planning to put in there?"

Erm... AGN wireless card? Flash card readers? Next-gen stuff that older computers don't have internally?

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:33 pm

5M05H13 wrote:more words
you can easily put just-windows on the MacBook; you need to format the hard drive, then insert the XP CD. Install XP normally. Then, insert your drivers disc. Install. You are done.

If this is difficult, then http://fredandsharonsmovies.com makes good movies. (HINT! THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD MOVIES!)

Felino

Post by Felino » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Since when is the macbook an old computer anyway?

In all my time of having a macbook pro so far, i am yet to find a use for my cardbus slot.

Firewire is not dead, i have a daisychain here of probably 8 devices.

Make up your mind about mac computers, after you have used one. 90% of the mac flammers have never used one, in my experence anyway.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

5M05H13

Post by 5M05H13 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:54 am

Bibin wrote:
5M05H13 wrote:more words
you can easily put just-windows on the MacBook; you need to format the hard drive, then insert the XP CD. Install XP normally. Then, insert your drivers disc. Install. You are done.

If this is difficult, then http://fredandsharonsmovies.com makes good movies. (HINT! THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD MOVIES!)
thanks for proving my point that anything i say wont be good enough for you...i dnt use mac because i do not like it ok...if i wanted to know how to install xp i would have asked..not stated that if i knew how to i would do it..and look now i do know another piece of useless information I WONT BE USING IT! i will not waste my time with mac and on that i leave you in my blacklist
Farewell Bibin
My PCs Specs:
2GB RAM (2x1GB)
LG DVD Burner
860W PSU

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 am

5M05H13 wrote:hey if there was sum way that i knew of to get one of the macbook in question and put windows xp on it i would actually consider it
Is it just me, or does that look like you're prompting us to tell you that that's quite possible?

Oh noooo, I'm on your blacklist! Oh dear! I'm sorry for offering slightly harsh but informative criticism to your ignorant statements and questions! I'll try to be less helpful next time if it'll help.

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:26 am

Thats a very reasonable price for a mac. I'm impressed. That could do wonders for my digital art.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Kenny_McCormic

Post by Kenny_McCormic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:56 pm

bicostp wrote:
Bibin wrote:The celeron is slightly worse than the Pentium III. It's horrid.

Now, if you get just about any laptop made in the last four years, it'll run Mac OS X. Better, you can get one much better than the macbook and run OSX on it while saving money.
Not legally. Apple's EULA specifically states that you can't run OS X on third-party computers.
Yea because the cops run around all day making sure your computer has legal software on it.

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Just got an x61T from Lenovo - best computer EVER! Plus it was only $1,200 because I got it from the Outlet w/ student discounts. Good specs too. Until Apple makes a tablet Mac, they won't get much further with their computers than they already are. Artists like Macs, but no tablet? Tsk tsk. Mac won't even cater to their niche markets because they are too busy trying to impress and go mainstream. Besides - imagine OSX with tablet support? GIANT IPHONE!

- Juice