How about a MOD REQUEST forum?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin
How about a MOD REQUEST forum?

Post by benheck » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:55 am

I am doing my usually bi-yearly "going through all my emails" and as usual there's far more requests than I can ever fill, let alone respond to.

So what I was wondering was what if we had a forum section that visitors could visit and post requests for projects they're interested in having done? Then, all you forum members could work with them to make it.

Everybody wins, more people get mods, and you guys can make some money. What do you all think? How should we organize it?

-Ben

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 am

Sounds like a great idea. It would have to be up on the top forums though, so guests would see it, and we would have to advertise it really well too.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 am

ghosstt wrote:It would have to be up on the top forums though, so guests would see it, and we would have to advertise it really well too.
:|

Sure, I suppose. Just don't take any responsibility (a la Trading Post).

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:29 am

YES! That's an awesome idea, somebody who isn't me should totally make this happen!

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:52 am

Yeah this could be good but I would only see it as a rubbish filter rather than a real section of the forums. Think of how many requests we get that are essentially someone wanting a 360 laptop for like 50 bucks, if we had a section made for requests it would just be loaded with these.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:11 am

dudex77 wrote:Yeah this could be good but I would only see it as a rubbish filter rather than a real section of the forums. Think of how many requests we get that are essentially someone wanting a 360 laptop for like 50 bucks, if we had a section made for requests it would just be loaded with these.
Yeah, that's going to be the main roadblock: filtering the actual requests from the piles of whatsit. :roll:

It's a good idea on paper, but could end up a big mess in practice. I don't know about the rest of the mods, but I don't feel like deleting tons of junk all the time.
bacteria wrote:If it follows the current trend of people wanting the world for nothing, and getting silly when people have to point out that their request is unreasonable, then it will devalue this site and just annoy modders here.
Exactly. We get enough of that as it is. :lol:
Last edited by bicostp on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:38 pm

If it follows the current trend of people wanting the world for nothing, and getting silly when people have to point out that their request is unreasonable, then it will devalue this site and just annoy modders here.

Frankly, with all the guides on the forum here, people should be making their own systems and not wanting others to do it for them. Most of the fun of a system is the modding project stage anyway.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Perhaps a sticky with a reasonable price range along with the skills and components required for each console?

That way when someone wants to give$50 for an X-Box 360 portable, we can just link them to that thread and tell them it isn't enough.

Of course, pricing everything out is usually the stickiest part. You have to consider the quality of portable, the time involved, and the value of said time.

Maybe an official price guide setup by you, Ben, would help?

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:12 pm

tom61 wrote:Perhaps a sticky with a reasonable price range along with the skills and components required for each console?

That way when someone wants to give$50 for an X-Box 360 portable, we can just link them to that thread and tell them it isn't enough.

Of course, pricing everything out is usually the stickiest part. You have to consider the quality of portable, the time involved, and the value of said time.

Maybe an official price guide setup by you, Ben, would help?
Not like the people who come asking for 50 dollar portables would actually read them so the mods would still have loads of crap to wade through and delete.
In order to make this work I think you would need to make the more active members have the ability to delete threads since we wouldnt have enough mods for 500 new topics a day of garbage. Though this would just cause more problems. :?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Maybe if ben set up a system where the members who actually have done a portable could moderate (delete) topics in that section then it wouldn't be so bad?

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Maybe if ben set up a system where the members who actually have done a portable could moderate (delete) topics in that section then it wouldn't be so bad?
This has merit. The people after all who others would be looking to do work for them are the Portablizers and Portablizer Extrordinaires and they (we) are the ones who know how long work takes and the components cost; so if someone is making an unreasonable or silly request then we will know this and can delete their thread, or lock it; if the request is half-decent then it can be left for people to comment on and offer assistance if they wish to.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Maybe if ben set up a system where the members who actually have done a portable could moderate (delete) topics in that section then it wouldn't be so bad?
That wouldn't be too hard to implement, since a Usergroup can be granted different permissions on different forums.

But still, we'd get tons of complete newbies coming in making completely irrational requests, and there's nothing stopping them from re-creating their threads after they're deleted.

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:41 pm

You should make a minimum post count required, so people wouldn't start signing up just to request a combination 360/PS3/Microwave oven portable, then hope that people don't sign up, start spamming to reach the minimum, then request a 360/PS3/Microwave oven portable.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 pm

In the same time, why not make a subforum where members can showcase their mods as well? (With a post count restriction too)
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:03 pm

bicostp wrote:
But still, we'd get tons of complete newbies coming in making completely irrational requests, and there's nothing stopping them from re-creating their threads after they're deleted.
keep the perma-ban button close