A low point in television

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
A low point in television

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:50 pm

A commercial just played over here, advertising a new show called "America's Most Smartest Model". No jokes.

I've found the reason as to why there's barely any good shows on anymore: The people responsible for show making don't have enough intelligence to do anything but ripoffs of already existing shows!

I guess this is kind of blogging, but the public deserves to know!

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:57 pm

The name of that show must be a parody. Still, I imagine some youngsters will really think that that's proper grammar.
But I agree with you generally, TV is going downhill.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: A low point in television

Post by bicostp » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Kurt_ wrote:A commercial just played over here, advertising a new show called "America's Most Smartest Model". No jokes.
I love the irony of the show title. :lol:
I've found the reason as to why there's barely any good shows on anymore: The people responsible for show making don't have enough intelligence to do anything but ripoffs of already existing shows!
You're right! Ignoring the spin-off and knock-off shows (ie. every CSI besides the original), we have stuff like this:

"Smash Lab" (Discovery) - Man I hate this show. It's Mythbusters without the thinking. They just blow stuff up and crash junkyard vehicles together. Oh, and they go "WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA!!1111!11!1!1!!!1!!1!!" way too much.

"The Moment of Truth" (FOX) - It's the hellspawn of the Jerry Springer show and The Newlywed Game. Need I say more.

And don't get me started on how low kid's shows have sunk... They're even censoring Looney Tunes shorts because of the obviously fake violence. I'd never let kids watch modern TV, I'll give them DVDs and video files of decent shows like Bill Nye the Science Guy, Rocko's Modern Life, Ducktales, and Doug.
Last edited by bicostp on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:19 pm

I love Bill Nye. I should download all thee episodes. In fact, I will!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_ ... test_Model

Not only is it real, there's a sequel.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:58 pm

bicostp wrote:"Smash Lab" (Discovery) - Man I hate this show. It's Mythbusters without the thinking. They just blow stuff up and crash junkyard vehicles together. Oh, and they go "WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA!!1111!11!1!1!!!1!!1!!" way too much.
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that its one of the stupidest "smart" shows ever. I only watch it because I have nothing better to do (dang, my life is boring) and I find it funny to watch them go waaaay overboard with their "small scale" tests. I seriously wonder how any of them got to where they are (unless they just printed off fake degrees, wouldn't surprise me). Its kinda funny that Discovery is competing with their own show (Mythbusters). Mythbusters is fairly educational, funny, and the hosts have brains and usually use them.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:00 pm

SOMEONE'S gotta be at the bottom of the graduating class! :P

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:02 pm

most smartest they say? "smartest" already means "most smart". putting "most" in front of that word is just plain grammatically stupid.. (no more grammar nazi)

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Glad you caught on to that. You're a smart one! :idea:

:P

Sammy: You apparently have some pictures of Triton and his trench coat (from Halloween). Care to share?

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Wow, I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one against Smash Lab! It's like the guys over at the Discovery Channel were like, "Mythbusters is too smart. No one likes smart shows. Smart shows are for nerds. What kind of show can we make that will be entertaining, and educational?" "BLOW crap UP!!"

EDIT: Woah, does the forum automatically change swears? copulate crap!!
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:56 pm

vskid wrote:Its kinda funny that Discovery is competing with their own show (Mythbusters). Mythbusters is fairly educational, funny, and the hosts have brains and usually use them.
With Adam being the exception? :P

I just thought of another "smart" show, which can be okay and bad at the same time: "How It's Made". It's cool to see the production processes for everyday items. For example, I remember when Mr. Rogers had his picture frame TV and the videos of how they made crayons and toothbrushes. However, How It's Made isn't that much higher up the scale from the Mr. Rogers segments, which is odd because it's obviously aimed at a much more mature demographic. They really dumb everything down, for example here's what How It's Made would describe the manufacturing process of PVC pipe:

" The pipe starts out as a bunch of tiny plastic beads. They're made from what's called Polyvinyl Chloride, a kind of plastic. They go into what's called a melting pot before they're injected into what are known as dies, which are like molds."

Behold the dumbed-down-ness!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K_5Ob-Z4Iek

theelk

Post by theelk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Good thing there are other Smash Lab haters. I remember when I realized that Mythbusters was degenerating into a show about explosions. Then I saw the commercial for Smash Lab.

WTF?? And now they even have this commercial about how the science is just a front and they know you're just watching for explosions. The Discovery Channel has lost its intelligence.
I don't want to make an "I'm leaving" thread, but I've sort of lost interest in this board. So if you notice that I'm gone, that's why.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:29 pm

i freaking LOVE how its made, one of my favorite shows (the music is nifty lol) and mythbusters. about the only show i watch on tv anymore is house and whatevers on discovery etc

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm

I thought of a good game show today. the contestants choose between 2 glasses of water to drink from, one of them is infected with HIV and ones clean. If you drink the one thats clean you get $100,000. You can try as many times as you want up to $1,000,000. That'll teach'em :D

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:45 pm

ganonbanned wrote:I thought of a good game show today. the contestants choose between 2 glasses of water to drink from, one of them is infected with HIV and ones clean. If you drink the one thats clean you get $100,000. You can try as many times as you want up to $1,000,000. That'll teach'em :D
Since when can you contract HIV orally? :?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Skyone wrote:
ganonbanned wrote:I thought of a good game show today. the contestants choose between 2 glasses of water to drink from, one of them is infected with HIV and ones clean. If you drink the one thats clean you get $100,000. You can try as many times as you want up to $1,000,000. That'll teach'em :D
Since when can you contract HIV orally? :?
Well, you see, not everyone knows that you can't, so it adds to the effect without any real risk. :wink: