Contrary to popular belief (video quality)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Bibin
Contrary to popular belief (video quality)

Post by Bibin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Some may say that RGB vs Composite or other lesser formats doesn't matter for old consoles because their resolutions are lower.

I BEG TO DIFFER!

It matters *more*, as since the concept of a pixle is much smaller there is a smaller margin for error, resulting in worse noticable changes. A tiny bit of interference for a hi-def console is equal to a LOT of interference to a low-resolution console.

That's why when you can, try to get the best video signal from your console.

RF < Composite < S-Video < Component < Analog RGB (counting vga) < Digital RGB (DVI)

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 pm

A more graphically spiffy game has more details for a bad signal to mess up so it's the opposite. Not to mention some older consoles like genesis output 480i on the composite signal but only 240p with RGB, which is rediculously low resolution. Counting scan lines from 12 feet away isn't as fun as it sounds :mrgreen: But a decent resolution RGB image can make anything look fantastic.
ImageImage

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:20 pm

What I'm saying is that with such a low resolution, artifacts are more prominent because everything is bigger.

The 480i the genesis outputs is just upscaled 240; a line doubler makes it's RGB output the best output from it available.