eff the RIAA

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamer2
eff the RIAA

Post by gamer2 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Last night the RIAA was here scanning my college's servers. Notably the students computers for illegal downloads. A few students were caught, including some of my roomates. I dont have anything to worry about since my computer got corrupted and I had to install linux then XP last weekend.

Is this legal for them to be doing? It don't seam legal to me.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:47 pm

IANAL, but computers are personal property, yes? So they shouldn't be able to seize personal property without a warrant or whatever.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:07 pm

I always say "why put up a fight if you have nothing to hide?" Just use an external hard drive or something if you're really paranoid.

However, by connecting to your school's network you probably automatically agree to these types of searches in exchange for the connection.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:18 pm

bicostp wrote:I always say "why put up a fight if you have nothing to hide?" Just use an external hard drive or something if you're really paranoid.

However, by connecting to your school's network you probably automatically agree to these types of searches in exchange for the connection.
Second.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:38 pm

They dont seize your property, they just scan your computer (externals and all) and if they find anything they THEY think is illegal they give you a court date.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Truecrypt the entire disk.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Do they scan it remotely over the network, or do they physically go to each computer and scan them manually?

If it's a network thing, the addition of a simple router with NAT enabled and non-essential ports blocked should block it.

However, like I said, if you didn't pirate media you wouldn't have to worry about it. :wink:

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 pm

bicostp wrote:Do they scan it remotely over the network, or do they physically go to each computer and scan them manually?

If it's a network thing, the addition of a simple router with NAT enabled and non-essential ports blocked should block it.

However, like I said, if you didn't pirate media you wouldn't have to worry about it. :wink:
They scan it over the network, but we cannot use our own routers, we have to use the school's routers.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:39 pm

gamer2 wrote:
bicostp wrote:Do they scan it remotely over the network, or do they physically go to each computer and scan them manually?

They scan it over the network, but we cannot use our own routers, we have to use the school's routers.
Just switch to cell phone tower based internet. Verizon Wireless has a very good tower based internet service from what I hear.

That would stop the RIAA from scaning your PC

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:40 pm

Is this legal for them to be doing?
Is it legal for your roommates to steal?

Really, this is just like people complaining about cops going undercover to catch speeders. Being the law-abiding citizen you are, what do you have to worry about? How can you begin to condemn other people for breaking a law if you break the law on a regular basis?

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 pm

The RIAA needs to be removed from existance, we have a lot mor seriouse problems going on in the world besides friggin' nitpicking everyone that downloads somthing for free.

Yes I do download illegaly, who gives a ****? Only the RIAA does.
This is just as bad as monitoring your phone calls to make sure you are not a terrorist, but LETS PLEASE!!! NOT!!!! get into politics.

But since you are on a school network, they probably have some contract or somthing which makes whatever they are doing 100% legal, although I don't approve of poking around someone's computer.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:03 am

Jongamer wrote:Yes I do download illegaly, who gives a ****? Only the RIAA does.
How about software developers, musicians, people that put a lot of hard work into their product and deserve compensation? It's one thing to download illegally, but it's another to be ignorant enough to think that you deserve it. In fact, if there's one person that SHOULD be caught downloading illegally, it'd be you!

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:06 am

Just download it directly to your mp3 player and keep it unplugged any other time.

theelk

Post by theelk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:14 am

Skyone wrote:
Jongamer wrote:Yes I do download illegaly, who gives a ****? Only the RIAA does.
How about software developers, musicians, people that put a lot of hard work into their product and deserve compensation? It's one thing to download illegally, but it's another to be ignorant enough to think that you deserve it. In fact, if there's one person that SHOULD be caught downloading illegally, it'd be you!
Devil's advocate here, telling you that the artists who make music don't actually get too much compensation from the record companies.

Devil's advocate signing off.
I don't want to make an "I'm leaving" thread, but I've sort of lost interest in this board. So if you notice that I'm gone, that's why.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:34 pm

The RIAA sucks. lucky you didn't get caught, those guys are hard-asses