Universal Controllers

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

mikm240
Universal Controllers

Post by mikm240 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:11 am

Was wondering if anyone had attempted or done anything like a universal wireless controller, i know theres obviously cable controller adapters but with the new gen being mostly wireless thought it might be a interesting project to have one wireless controller to cover 360, ps3, probley not wii but maybe cover gamecube etc

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Hate to break it to you but they all use different wireless frequencies/encoding.

Its not even a situation where you could just pop a "wireless module" out of each controller and solder them all together. They are all completely integrated. Youd have to pretty well reverse engineer everything then build it up from scratch.

Heres a link explaining why you cant do it for x360.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=84808

Wii and ps3 are both bluetooth, and both have some kind of gyros in them, so you might have something going there, but who wants a ps3/wii controller?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Lorelis-san

Post by Lorelis-san » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:46 pm

The closest I think you could get is severely hacked up PCBs of all 3 put in a controller, with the wii and PS3 motion sensors interlinked, also with a switch to switch between the consoles. Of course, wii functionality would be unfortunatly limited without going into really complex arangements, but it's possible you could put the IR sensor in the middle of the shell.

But, considering the size it would be, you might as well stick a screen on the controller as well, and play from that, otherwise it'd be a huge bulge from the controller with no use whatsoever... Unless it holds the batteries. It'd be complex, but possible... Especially because of the Wii side of things. Maybe just add a wii expansion plug in there for the nunchuk?

And there's the problem with an appropriate shell too. As I said before, it'd be complex, but possible.