Guns with images *56k warning*

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 am

I live in the UK, so you only have a gun if you are a farmer (shotguns), large landowner or event (shotguns) or pistol shooting clubs. When I was about 18/19 I used to go to a gun club for a year or so and used .22 pistols on the indoor range, and at an army base (outdoor) a Magnum .357 and Magnum .44; I think once I shot a round with a black powder pistol at the range too. Anyway, that was then, only time I have done it since is about 3 times with clay pigeon shooting (I am good at it!).

It is better in the UK, guns are strictly controlled and banned otherwise, unlike the USA; as this thread proves, when teenagers can happily have access to guns, to shoot animals, their parents, or school if they want. There is no legitimate reason to own a gun unless you are a farmer protecting your herd from predators, or are fighting in a war. It is not cool or fun to have a gun, guns are not dangerous in themselves, only the idiot behind one is dangerous after all: however there is only one thing you can do with a gun and that is to fire lethal rounds into something. It is not cool.

DK

Post by DK » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:39 am

Bacteria, I'm a 17 year old brit and I readily have access to guns :D

I'm a country lad so around here it's the norm to have at least a shotgun for hunting stuff. I personally don't like killing things so I don't use my dad's guns much. On the other hand I have an ex olympic target pistol i shoot with a lot (air powered so it's legal) and I'm a damed good shot with that. Image

Oh and Kurt, Virii are not considered living organisms so cannot be killed.
Last edited by DK on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:39 am

I remember you are the guy that said you recovered a computer by soaking it in alcohol, you think that would work on the lower portion of the chip from my super gameboy? Theres just enough corrosion near the bottom to keep the super fx-like pins from working and I'm pretty much out of ideas. If you're wondering, it was given to me, I would never let anything of mine be so neglected, especially something electronic.
possibly. give it a shot. soak it and brush it with an old tooth brush.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 am

It is better in the UK, guns are strictly controlled and banned otherwise, unlike the USA; as this thread proves, when teenagers can happily have access to guns, to shoot animals, their parents, or school if they want.
now don't go saying who is better than the other. the only time when a gun is dangerous, is when an idiot who doesn't have a license gets one from someone and shoots up a bar. in the USA you have to have a license in order to carry a firearm. usually one has to go through a class to handle it if they're using it for hunting or the such.

the thing is, my dad wouldn't teach me how to hunt. he told me that i shouldn't play with guns. i think it had a little to do with the fact that he didn't want his little girl shooting animals. but we used to have an airsoft rifle for awhile that i would shoot animals away from our chicken pen with.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:10 am

Triton wrote: getting weapons in europe (and england etc) is a different story, their gun laws are insane!
England is in europe... :o

And what do you mean our laws are insane? It's illegal to own guns, and that's perfectly right.
daguuy wrote: If I want to be able to defend myself, I should be allowed to defend myself. That's a right, not a privilage. They're also just fun to shoot.
But that's the whole thing though, you're defending yourself against people just like you, who buy guns maybe not intending to kill, but end up doing it anyway. Even if you don't kill someone, if you have a gun ultimatly you'll end by losing. If you shoot someone, you lose. If you don't shoot them, they'll take the gun off you and shoot you. You lose again.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:20 am

thats why its insane! didi you know when they banned guns the overall violent crime rate went UP? just because you remove LEGAL access to an item doesnt mean it magically goes away, when they banned guns all they did was make it a bit harder to get em illegally and shifted the crime rate away from shooting related crime to other forms of violent crime. one favorite quote of mine relating to that is "when they outlaw firearms only outlaws will have firearms" it should be everyones right that, if they are properly trained in their use and have a license, they should be able to own a gun both for fun and protection. having a gun doesnt make you a criminal or more or less liable to shoot somebody than not having one it all depends on the PERSON not the tool. if you want to kill someone sure a gun is just about the easiest way but if you STILL want to kill them and no guns are around you sure as hell are going to find another way
But that's the whole thing though, you're defending yourself against people just like you, who buy guns maybe not intending to kill, but end up doing it anyway. Even if you don't kill someone, if you have a gun ultimatly you'll end by losing. If you shoot someone, you lose. If you don't shoot them, they'll take the gun off you and shoot you. You lose again.
the people whom we are defending ourselves from are the ones who buy guns ilegally and DONT intend to use them to denfend themselvesl. criminals robbers etc, guns are a great deterent and nobody said you have to kill them either, if you were in my house trying to hurt my family or take my things i would have no problem with shooting you in the leg or foot or arm hand whatever, a non vital shot that will put you in pain and down so the cops can come get you. the ironic thing is the country with the lowest gun law (Switzerland) its REQUIRED that every male over 18 has an assualt rifle for their military program. so probably almost half or more of the people in switzerland have guns and yet almost ZERO gun crime.
Last edited by Triton on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:25 am

There's no way that when they banned guns, gun crime went up. That's just stupid. True, if you are determined to kill someone, you will find a way, but having a gun makes it much more likely that you will kill someone at all.

I mean, you never hear of any gun masscres in england at all, but it seems like we get weekly ones over from america, and only the biggest would make it over here.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 am

I don't have easy access to ANY guns. Excpet for my spring powered kiddie, plastic pelet shooting pistol. Thats bright Green and made out of cheap plastic.

The 22 and the Shot Guns I shot were at boy scout summer camp UNDER supervision. When the guns are not in use there, the camp locks them up.

As for the AK, Tec 9, and the Mac 10. My uncle who owns the guns, lives in Ohio. So I don't have easy access to them guns. Their to far away.
Last edited by nightwheel on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 am

you didnt read my post. i didnt say gun crime went up i said OVERALL VIOLENT CRIME eg beatings stabbings and so forth. and owning a gun doesnt make a person any more likely to kill someone than owning a sword or knife would or a baseball bat! and shootings arent that common here its just that every time something like that happens all the news stations jump on it for better ratings. we just have to face it, in a society where you have millions and millions of people there are bound to be disturbed individuals who would use guns to kill other people. its not the guns fault that these people decided to go into a busy mall/school/whatever and open fire and yet people continue to blame the tool for the users transgression. you dont see them banning knives do you? YOU CAN STAB PEOPLE WITH THEM THEIR DANGEROUS AND SHOULD BE BANNED totally ignore the fact that they have uses with NOT killing people ust like guns

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 am

Triton wrote:you didnt read my post. i didnt say gun crime went up i said OVERALL VIOLENT CRIME eg beatings stabbings and so forth. and owning a gun doesnt make a person any more likely to kill someone than owning a sword or knife would or a baseball bat! and shootings arent that common here its just that every time something like that happens all the news stations jump on it for better ratings. we just have to face it, in a society where you have millions and millions of people there are bound to be disturbed individuals who would use guns to kill other people. its not the guns fault that these people decided to go into a busy mall/school/whatever and open fire and yet people continue to blame the tool for the users transgression. you dont see them banning knives do you? YOU CAN STAB PEOPLE WITH THEM THEIR DANGEROUS AND SHOULD BE BANNED totally ignore the fact that they have uses with NOT killing people ust like guns
Hmm ok. Well the thing is the people - disturbed or not - won't be able to shoot lots of people if they didn't have access to the guns. And by the way, yes they do ban knives. If you get caught carrying a knife here, there's a minium sentence of 1 year in jail. That's just for carrying it, not for even getting it out or using it.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am

Rellizate wrote:And by the way, yes they do ban knives. If you get caught carrying a knife here, there's a minium sentence of 1 year in jail. That's just for carrying it, not for even getting it out or using it.
I'm a boy scout in the states. And are you trying to say that it is illegal for anyone including a British Boy Scout to carry a Knife anywhere. Does that meam a scout going boy scout camping at a camp with other scouts?

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 am

Sorry Rellizate but Triton is right.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=465166

Check out the links on that page if you want proof. GUNS does not equal crime. Theres also a 25 page report if you really want to read it.

Bans on knifes? I have about 4 different kinds of knifes in my room and I carry one in my backpack at all times. Very handy when you need to cut something. I do lots of sailing so having one at all times is necessary. Just yesterday I used my knife to help fix my flat bike tire (nail in the rubber) on the other side of campus. Would have sucked major if I lived in UK.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

DK

Post by DK » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:09 am

nightwheel wrote:
Rellizate wrote:And by the way, yes they do ban knives. If you get caught carrying a knife here, there's a minium sentence of 1 year in jail. That's just for carrying it, not for even getting it out or using it.
I'm a boy scout in the states. And are you trying to say that it is illegal for anyone including a British Boy Scout to carry a Knife anywhere. Does that meam a scout going boy scout camping at a camp with other scouts?
I'm a British Boy Scout and I carry a small knife with me most the time. Always have a knack of coming in useful, like McGyver's. The law states that its the size of the blade that determines if the knife is legal to caryy, I think 2 inches is the limit.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:38 am

There was some news report on guns in Canada not actually being that hard to get a license for. But I didn't care about it so I didn't watch it. I'm sure you can find it online if you really want to know more. Personally, I've never tried.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Swedish guy here, I'm not as gun-frenzy as most Americans seem to be. I'm using soldering guns and glue guns every now and then, but that's all I've ever used, and proably all I ever will use in that compartment.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total