Guns with images *56k warning*

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

HazmatB

Post by HazmatB » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm

I loath guns. Incidentally it was being in army training that made me hate them. They are instruments of hate and death, to people and animals. There is no excuse for city gun ownership, and only tenative excuses for rural ownership.

Lack of respect for weapons, and lives is a real problem among youth. I don't know how to end this post.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Face it, all a gun is is a cylindrical tube through which lead is jettisoned by the immense pressure of exploding gunpowder. They are not instruments of hate or death. The man wielding the weapon is the one who judges the intent of that particular piece of lead that is being flung from the end of the barrel.

I have immediate access to all of the guns that you could possibly want, All I have to do is walk over to my closet and pick up my 7mm 08' or my single shot 20 gauge, I have shells and rounds for them in my dresser. In other closets throughout the house I have a 30-06, a 25-06, sixteen gauge and twelve gauge shotguns, 3 22cal rifles, a 38 special and a 22cal revolver.

I have never killed any human being with any of these, nor have I ever even entertained the concept of doing so, I have killed a few animals, all of which made tasty meals for me and my family. I have no hatred towards animals, I love animals, I have a dog and two cats, and in the past I have had at least seven dogs and an unfathomable amount of cats. I hunt dear because I love the taste of the meat, It is like no other, and it cannot be gotten from anywhere else. It's also the thrill of the hunt, it is a thrilling thing, outsmarting another real living creature and bringing it down. Hunting is completely merciful, lethal shots are the only shots that should ever be taken. Lethal shots mean it's over quick. There are other weapons that could inflict much more pain and suffering on an animal, if someone really wanted to.

I know when the hunt is over and when it is time to put the guns away. I never take the guns out unless I am showing one to a friend or if I am going hunting. I love the fact though, that I have peace of mind sitting in the closet if I ever had to defend myself or my family. My neighbor's house was broken into and she was assaulted by the criminal, but she pulled out a gun and held him a gunpoint while the police came, she didn't shoot him, she simply made sure that she had the advantage of fear with this intruder.

Guns are not evil, people are evil.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Gun laws in the UK are very tight and rightly so. Even most types of air gun are banned, it depends on whether the gas is from a bullet casing, canister (both banned) or wind up (usually legal). Irrespective of whether you have an immitation gun, BB gun or air gun or whatever; if it is seen in a public place or you shooting in the direction of the public or public areas, you will if arrested if found and will be classed as firearms offences and you are likely to get jail.

As with knives, baseball bats, blocks of wood, whatever in the UK - in a public place, you stand to be arrested for "offensive weapon" or "bladed article" and sent to court. Small knives which fold away (eg swiss army knife, etc) are USUALLY ok to carry if can be justified, but if the blade is not a small one and/or it is a locking or flick knife, it doesn't matter how long the blade is you will get charged for "bladed article" and charged to court. If you have a LEGITIMATE reason to carry a knife, that is ok - eg taking it to use for a legitimate reason (repair or whatever) or carrying it to a place of work or for the purpose of work and can justify it. For example, I sometimes have to carry my Police utility belt between Stations if I am working somewhere different - I then have to carry a multi-tool knife (cutting ligatures if needed, etc) and an asp (a steel racking extending baton) which are offensive weapons, however carrying them to work and between places of work is perfectly legitimate and legal and justifiable. I can't take my CS spray with me however as that is classed as a firearm. At some point we will also get tazers (which again will be classed as firearms so non-transferable).

It takes far more to square up to someone and attack them with a knife or whatever than just to squeeze a trigger of a gun from a distance. That is one of the problems with guns - any idiot can pull a trigger. You can't assess someone for their fitness and mental aptitude to own a gun so the better scenario is no-one has one unless they make a special application for one and are monitored by the State: and guns for teenagers is stupid unless closely monitored; the temptation to use them on animals, birds and sometimes people or property is far greater with youth than older adults so poses more of a risk.

There is no justification to carrying a knife or gun for "protection"; it shows a very sorry state for a country if that is the case. If you carry it it is because you expect you might need it and are willing to use it. Also it is not acceptable to shoot animals or property for fun as some here seem to think. There is nothing "big man" about having guns.

Yes, very occasionally we get shootings in the UK, but it is rare. I think the last time a crazy person in the UK went on a shooting spree was in Hungerford in about 1984. Compare that to the USA. It is not a case of anyone being better than anyone else or any country being any better than any other; it is a case however that it is better to live in a nation where guns are rare rather than the norm and any weapons are legislated against.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:22 pm

the thing is if you tried to pass laws like you have in the UK the us would pretty much go anarchistic in short order because most people would see those sort of laws as violations of our rights as given in the bill of rights and constitution of our country namely number two, the right to bear arms. while i agree completly that the great majority of people dont need guns and dont need to carry them i DO NOT agree that they should be banned. in the united states banning firearms of any sort would only make a great majority of the population lawbreakers because people will NOT be willing to give up their guns. and in a similar vein why is it that some people think that banning guns will suddenly solve the problem, it just makes them against the law it doesnt make em magically disappear, all it would do is make it much much harder or impossible for REGULAR LAW ABIDING CITIZENS to get firearms, the criminals would have very little problems getting them tho as they would be breaking the law anyway.

these issues are always devided, just because your country has lax/strict gun laws tends to have little effect on the overall ammount of crime, maybe it would be better if EVERYBODY had to have a gun, your a lot less likely to shoot up a place where everyone can SHOOT BACK :lol:

also i agree 100% with XPC, guns dont cause anything, their a tool nothing more, its the person wielding the tool that determines its use not vice versa

HazmatB

Post by HazmatB » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Triton wrote: also i agree 100% with XPC, guns dont cause anything, their a tool nothing more, its the person wielding the tool that determines its use not vice versa
However, the only use that the tool has is a destructive, life destroying one. It does not justify their existence.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 pm

so people who use guns to hunt to feed their families should have their guns taken away? that makes perfect sense, or people lost in the woods after a plane wreck or some other event shouldnt have a gun in their survival kit? or the woman being attacked in an alley shouldnt have a pistol to ward off her attacker? yes guns are used to injure or kill but that doesnt mean they dont have a justifiable use in this world. your logic is flawed, there are some things that have no justifiable existance because all they do is maim and destroy (landmines, atomic bombs etc) but saying that guns shouldnt exist because they are used to kill is like saying aircraft shouldnt exist because they are used to kill (fighter jets bombers etc) you CANT just use a blanket statement like that without sounding like an idiot.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:15 pm

HazmatB wrote:
Triton wrote: also i agree 100% with XPC, guns dont cause anything, their a tool nothing more, its the person wielding the tool that determines its use not vice versa
However, the only use that the tool has is a destructive, life destroying one. It does not justify their existence.
I have fun when I shoot a gun. So it has 2 purposes :wink: Just because you are envious at the people who have the right to carry a gun doesn't mean you have to rain on our parade and be all emo.

Oh and Britain has more crime per cap then the USA. So much for gun control. :roll:

Britian also has the third highest percentage of crime victims.

Currently theres legislation moving here in Texas to allow students to carry handguns on College Campuses. I can't wait for it to pass.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:19 pm

So if someone attacks me, you anti-gun people are saying I should let them go ahead and do what they want with me? No. If someone attacks me or someone else, I have the right to defend myself/other victim in any way possible. The attacker has performed a crime, in my opinion, they have just given up all their rights. Whether they should be disabled by hand-to-hand combat, use of a knife, or use of a gun, depends on the nature of the attack and the nature of those involved. Like if I had a gun (which I would have the proper permits to carry) and someone I could easily overpower without a weapon tried to pickpocket me without force, I wouldn't pull my gun and blow their brains out. That is why permits are required to LEGALLY carry concealed firearms in most places, you need to know when to use and, more importantly, when not to use, the weapon you've been allowed to carry. Really, there would have to be something really bad for me to even really consider using a gun on another human being.
And by shooting someone, even in a non-vital place, means that you are willing to kill them. You don't shoot to injure, you shoot to kill. You can aim at a non-vital place, but by pulling that trigger, you are willing to be responsible for that human's death.

And did you guys know that cars are used in war? Ya, imagine that. Theres probably far more deaths from cars than guns in everyday life. So should we ban cars?

Really, if you think guns are so bad, stay on your little island and let us do what we want. Thats the reason we left you guys in the first place. We're 3000 miles across the ocean from you, I kinda doubt that you'll be affected by the US having guns.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:51 pm

vskid wrote:Really, if you think guns are so bad, stay on your little island and let us do what we want. Thats the reason we left you guys in the first place. We're 3000 miles across the ocean from you, I kinda doubt that you'll be affected by the US having guns.
FOR FREEDOM!!! :lol:

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:29 pm

XPCportables wrote:
vskid wrote:Really, if you think guns are so bad, stay on your little island and let us do what we want. Thats the reason we left you guys in the first place. We're 3000 miles across the ocean from you, I kinda doubt that you'll be affected by the US having guns.
FOR FREEDOM!!! :lol:

/throws sword
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Airsoft anyone?

Friends AUG:

Didn't take pictures of yet:
KWA Glock 18C
Making XNA Games in C#.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:08 pm

You can't have the First Amendment without the Second Amendment to protect it.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:14 pm

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:17 pm

marshallh wrote:You can't have the First Amendment without the Second Amendment to protect it.

Heck ya. 8)

Kenny_McCormic

Post by Kenny_McCormic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Anybody who thinks that outlawing guns will stop shootings is a complete copulate idiot, I can make a silencer from crap i can get at home depot, a semi auto rifle can be converted to a machine gun with a shoestring, you can make high capacity magazines out of scrap metal, i could make a machine pistol from scratch with some pipe and a dremel if i wanted to. I know how to do all of this stuff and have done some of it, yet i have never even though of shooting up my school.

Shootings happen because of crazy people, guns dont kill people people kill people the gun is just a tool that many people blame. I could kill hundreds of people with a car but it isnt hard to go buy a junker truck that barley runs for $200 and drive it through a crowd at 70mph.