Calculator

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Shadeslayer
Calculator

Post by Shadeslayer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 am

I am in a college and my math class wants me to buy a TI-83 or 84 but I don't have the money. They let us use laptops in class so I was wondering if there was a calculator that you can download. A scientific calculator would be great. Thanks

Shadeslayer
Death from my Desk

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:41 am

if they want you to get a ti-83 or 84 you need a GRAPHING calculator, not a scientific. Depending on what class and how many maths you'll have to take with it, I would probably recommend at least picking up a used ti-83/84. I'm pretty sure there are graphing calculator programs (positive in fact, try download.com), but if this a class where people will be using them for the first time, the teacher will by telling you how to do stuff in terms of ti calculators, so you'll always be copulate while trying to do it on the computer. Try asking people you know that may have already finished their maths, graduated, or dropped out if they have one they can sell (or even give/loan) to you. Also, try looking around campus as people will usually post up ads to get rid of their calcs. If nothing else, Amazon.com has them for about $50 used and you might get them cheaper on eBay.

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:58 am

ok your right... graphing sorry anyway I already know how to use graphing calcs. Thanks.
Death from my Desk

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Shadeslayer wrote:ok your right... graphing sorry anyway I already know how to use graphing calcs. Thanks.
17daysolderthannes' point is that you may miss out on educational value because you may not be able to understand what teacher is trying to say if (s)he says it in terms of how to do it on a graphing calculator.

One problem with not buying a calculator is that you definitely won't be allowed to use your computer during tests so you'll have a harder time there. Depending on how good you are a t maths, you might still be able to make it without a graphing one on the tests.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 pm

You don't have enough money for this? $50 used is a lot better than paying twice that for a new one.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:17 pm

There are a few emulators for the computer that flawlessly emulate a TI-33+.

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Bibin wrote:There are a few emulators for the computer that flawlessly emulate a TI-33+.
Yeah, I got my DS working as a Ti-83+.
Meh, I don't post much.

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Well math is my favorite subject and and I have 98% in it. I am 2 1/2 weeks ahead on my homework. And we do everything online except tests. Our first test isn't until march. All the quizzes are online too.
Death from my Desk

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Ever think of dipping into your financial aid?

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Microsoft Math! Best thing around, I use it all the time.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

jedi knight wrote:
Bibin wrote:There are a few emulators for the computer that flawlessly emulate a TI-33+.
Yeah, I got my DS working as a Ti-83+.
I just put that on my ds, thanks for the mention.

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 pm

My teacher uses one with her smart board I'll ask her next class.
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:53 am

I didn't even think about that, but if you have a test that utilizes a graphing calculator, you will be boned unless the teacher will loan one to you or something. Also, if math is your favorite subject, etc. then I'm guessing you are in a math related major. If that's so, you'll definitely need one sooner or later, so just get one now, they never get any cheaper because TI has a super monopoly on it and you can always sell it later and get most of your money back. Now, if you were asking about a TI-89 or a voyage, then its up to you as I'm almost done with mechanical engineering and I've only had my 83+ the whole time, but whether or not you could theoretically figure it out on the computer (which you probably could, especially for algebra) its a good idea to have what the teacher calls for so you can use it on tests, etc. and in case the Ti-83 has a function your program doesn't (unless you are using an emulator of course).

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 am

17daysolderthannes wrote:Also, if math is your favorite subject, etc. then I'm guessing you are in a math related major.
Actually I am undecided at the moment.
Death from my Desk

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:01 pm

If you have a laptop, Virtual TI is the way to go. It can emulate the TI-83+ accurately; every command your teacher tells you to enter in it will literally work exactly the same way as on the real calculator.

Screenshot of someone playing mario on their calculator: