DO any of your parents play Video games?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune
DO any of your parents play Video games?

Post by Jongamer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Well my mother just went out and bought herself a Pink DS lite, she and my dad used to game a bunch back in the NES days, Both of them went through Legend of Zelda by themselves at least twice, and I still havnt beat it. :/

My dad finds video games somthing that ruins peoples lives now, and the only type of games he plays are the ones on Pogo.com, which he plays when he is not doing geneology research.

We have 3 DS lites in my household now, Black lite is mine, Gold Zelda is my bros, and Pink is my moms.

So any of your parents ever gamed, or are gamers themselves.
Last edited by Jongamer on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm

My dad hates video games with a passion ("they waste time"), my mom is into them a little bit. We might be getting a Wii sometime, because my mom really liked it when we played it at my aunt and uncle's house. I personally would much rather get a PS3 (Motorstorm and DiRT) or 360 (DiRT, Halo 3, etc), but theres not many good kid and mom friendly games for either.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:34 pm

My dad can kick your dad's ass at Pacman regardless of who your dad is. but past that he never got much into games other than a bit of loderunner and centipede.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:51 pm

My mom plays guitar hero with me, and ive gotten both of them to play wii sports (along with most of my aunts and uncles, they all love it) one of my uncles was REALLY into N64, he beat mario 64 with all stars, Donkey Kong 64 fully, etc.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 pm

my mom really looked down upon videogames. but my parents finally gave in and reluctantly bought me an N64 when it came out. they wouldn't play it with me which i found really awkward. even now i try to get my mom to play super mario bros 3 with me and she just leaves the room.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:57 pm

My mom tries to play super mario world every once and awhile, shes pretty bad at it but its fun to watch. But If I get out some old atari games she is all for it and will play, especially pit fall.

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:00 pm

My parents don't look down upon videogames in general, except for those with certain content like the GTA series just like they wouldn't want me to watch certain movies.
vskid wrote:I personally would much rather get a PS3 (Motorstorm and DiRT) or 360 (DiRT, Halo 3, etc), but theres not many good kid and mom friendly games for either.
Motorstorm is not that great. It came with my PS3. The physics are really unrealistic (not that that's always a bad thing (Flat Out anyone?)). The time it takes to load a race, and even just the previews of the vehicles is also annoying (I'm impatient). I do like the way the tracks look though.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Edutainment wrote:The time it takes to load a race, and even just the previews of the vehicles is also annoying (I'm impatient). I do like the way the tracks look though.
That is a nice point, I was really surprised when it took more than 2 seconds to load the vehicle previews. DiRT takes forever to load on PS3, too. Maybe I'll get a 360 instead (well, hope for one).

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:10 pm

When I was younger, like 10 or so, My parents and I would always play N64. We would play games like Super Smash Bros, RUSH, Crusin the World, and Vigilante 8.

Then when the newer consoles came out the games got too hard for them and too many complicated controls and stuff so they stopped. My dad attempted to play Halo and failed so neither of my parents play them anymore.

Plus, now I play games like GTA, Halo: 3, UT 2004, UT 3, Gears of War, and Zelda. They wouldn't last a second in those games, nor do they enjoy mindlessly killing people in GTA. The only games my dad plays now are the ones built into Windows, which is pretty much Minesweeper and Solitaire.

I'd say this was a good thing because when we all would play video games, it was just building up for them to not look down upon them and let me play whatever the hell I want. I know kids who can't play GTA or watch shows like South Park (Which me and my Dad watch all the time) so I guess I have had a privileged lifestyle around Video Games, Media, and Electronics in general. Next year I get to pick our new HD LCD TV, it's going to be awesome.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:27 pm

My mom and dad used to play wave race blue storm for GC with me and my bro sometimes.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:30 pm

Me and my dad play games all the time. We sit in the same room on our computers and then ghost people! XD

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:36 pm

Oh I just remembered, My parents were crazy over Super Mario Kart, and Mario Kart 64, my dad and mom also liked games like Kirby's Avalange on the SNES, and plus I believe my dad could go all the way through Dr. Mario, but only when the GB version was playing on the SNES with the Super Gameboy, my dad can't stand trying to play a handheld, he is starting to get to old to focus his eyes on a small screen.

Accually I won't say my dad hates videogames, it's just that he dislikes them because thats all my brother and I used to care about, I got a lot more into electronics, and computers, and listening to music so Video games are not all I care about anymore :P

Just about half a year ago, I pulled out my N64 and brought out a few controllers and fired up Mario Kart 64, it's hilarious when watching just my mom and dad play it, like if my dad gets knocked off the edge he will yeel (not loud, just kinda like "Aghhhhh!!!!!") And then when he loses he will joke around and say my mom cheated :lol:

And sometimes when my dad is at work, I will bring out my SNES and play Mario world or All stars with my mom, she's not that very good but she can play decent. A while ago before the save erased itself, around wehn I was like 6 or 7, me and my mom got all the way to Bowser on Super Mario bros 3 on Allstars.

My dad is pretty damn good at any puzzle game, only the Final Stages of Kirby's Avalanch tend to piss him off :lol:

theelk

Post by theelk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:53 pm

My dad hasn't gone much farther that minesweeper and trying Wii sports once. My mom hasn't gone farther than solitaire and trying Brain Age once. I'm a little disappointed, being the geek that I am, but maybe one day they'll come around...
I don't want to make an "I'm leaving" thread, but I've sort of lost interest in this board. So if you notice that I'm gone, that's why.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:08 pm

My parents are in their 70's now, Mum never played games, Dad (when he was about my age now) bought Pong, Intellivision, Atari 2600. He now likes to play some computer games, strategy games like Civilization series and Command and Conquer series. He doesn't like console games anymore, but still has some good memories of old games on the consoles he used to have many years ago.

I am about the age of most of your parents ( :shock: ) and as you know I like games - PC, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, N64, MegaDrive, MAME, SMS, Vectrex and GBC titles.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:18 pm

My father and I play atari occasionally