Your Pokemon Dream Team

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:39 am

Kurt_ wrote:MissingNo. is what I meant! Unknown (correct spelling) is a actual pokemon now, isn't it?

MissingNo was the promotional Mew gone haywire, right?
Unown, I think is how they spell it, but yeah. And I thought MissingNo and all it's other aliases were originally programmed to test battle scenarios? The story I heard was that they put them in completely for testing purposes, and were supposed to have taken them out, but never did. I also read somewhere that it functioned almost like the testing crew's own personal GameShark, allowing them to walk through walls, have a land path to Cinnibar Island, etc. so they could find bugs quicker. I've been wrong before, though.

CTFan
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:49 am

Its just a glitch, the name refers to the fact that the game can't find the code for the Pokemon. Mine always used to turn into Kangaskhan after an hour or so.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 am

I may be wrong as well. I do know that originally, in Japan, there was a special Mew pokemon that people uploaded to your cartridge for buying your game at a convention or something like that. I'm sure Wikipedia has all the answers:

:shock: It DOESN'T!!! :shock:
* `M and Missingno.: An infamous glitch, occurring as a wild Pokémon encounter on Cinnabar or Seafoam coast after either talking to a certain man in Viridian City, or after trading with one of the traders in Cinnabar Island.[9]
* Cinnabar Coast Pokémon: By surfing up and down the east coast of Cinnabar Island, Pokémon that normally appear from the last place visited will appear here (including Safari Zone Pokémon, which the glitch is most commonly utilized for). Also, many odd Pokémon over level 100 and trainers with glitch Pokémon have been found on the coasts of Cinnabar and Seafoam Islands (these can be found by performing the Missingno trick, and the kind of Pokémon, level of the Pokémon, and how many different Pokémon can possibly be found depend the on player's name).
* Item Duplication: A side effect of meeting the Missingno. It causes the sixth item in the player's inventory to increase by 128.[9]
* "Mew Glitch": A glitch which, if properly performed, can trigger an encounter with a wild Pokémon of any species, most commonly utilized for Mew, a legitimate Pokémon normally available only through Nintendo promotional events.[10]

* Other Glitch Pokémon: There are many glitch Pokémon that can be found in the game using a Gameshark or the "Mew Glitch". Usually they have unusual names (for example: 4. 4).
* Glitch City: An area like a town or city, composed of scrambled background graphics. Created by a series of steps involving the 'timer' in the Safari Zone.[11]
* Walk Through Walls glitch: One must perform the Glitch City glitch, but when the timer runs out, one must be in midair from jumping over a ledge. When sent back to the Safari Zone's main building, the Trainer can walk through walls inside the building. If all the player's Pokémon are poisoned and they faint, the Trainer is sent outside the building and can walk through walls throughout the Pokémon world.
* "Invisible PC Glitch": In Celadon City, there is a hotel, which has a layout extremely similar to that of a Pokémon Center. At the far right of the hotel, if the player presses the A button at the location where the PC in the Pokémon Centers usually are, a PC is somehow activated.
However, this has it all:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Missingno.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:08 pm

Missigno apeared cause that particular spot had no "pokemon data" so usually when at a spot this would be in the ram (you go their and uring an encounter it fetches "a pokemon" from ram) However since it had no data it would pull from ram wat was in last. Sometimes there would be giberish and missingno apeared. (this is also why the safari zone thing happends after you go to the safari zone)

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:28 pm

I had 6 over level 100 Hypno's once. It was AWESOME.

But after I used him, he'd go down to level 100.

I tried using 6 to beat the Elite 4, but you need surf and cut and stuff just to get to them.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Super Cameraman wrote:I tried using 6 to beat the Elite 4, but you need surf and cut and stuff just to get to them.
There's a PC at the Pokémon center right before the Elite 4, though.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Oh.

Oops.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:27 pm

basically, 256 spaces for pokemon, but since it is programmed into each area specifically which appear, only those 151 will appear ever. but if it is randomized, then it is possible that it will draw from a space with nothing there, which isn't supposed to happen, hence "missingNo." The name is a programming error.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:26 pm

Missingno. is simply the result of the game reaching for memory that doesn't exist or is not meant to be a monster. A theoretical explanation for the dual Water Gun attacks is that each attack is assigned an ID byte. In this "random" memory cluster, there lies the bytes for Missingno's attacks (Fly, Water Gun, Water Gun, Surf; or whatever they are). The battle system draws these four bytes as the attacks, even though they are most definitely for some other purpose. Each monster has an ID as well, and knowing that there are only 151 monsters and 256 values to a byte, the Missingno. ID byte is generally higher than 151, thus resulting in the battle check system to return a "Missingno." char string. As for the image that it shows, I'm guessing the battle system retrieves a pointer to a bitmap byte block that has a bunch of random values, and they somehow form Missingno.'s glitchy chair body. :P

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:15 pm

My current teams:

Diamond:
Gengar
Infernape
Golem
Dialga
+ two Pokemon that I'm level grinding

FireRed:
Blastoise