Free stuff from school.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

XPCportables
Free stuff from school.

Post by XPCportables » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:32 pm

I just got a new laptop for free from school! It's an HP pavilion ze4230
SPECS
Celeron 1.8Ghz
512mb PC2100 memory
40gb HDD
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
ATI IGP 340m integrated graphics
15" 1024x768 lcd

How I got it: Last year I was in the advanced computer class at my school. Somebody from the school donated this laptop to the advanced computer class because they had a power surge and the laptop stopped working. They thought that we could probably mess around with it. Half way through the year though, the advanced computer class was eliminated, and the laptop was simply given to the teacher. He is also my physics teacher, and I was talking to him yesterday and asked him if he ever did anything with the laptop. He didn't ever have time to fool with it so he said that I could just have it. I brought it home, hooked it up to my IBM laptop power supply and it powered right up.

Has anybody else ever gotten anything cool like this from school?

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:54 pm

i got 2 old compaqs from my school cause they were throwing them away. :D

Nicholai

Post by Nicholai » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Last year when my highschool bought new wireless labs, I found all the old iBooks in cardboard boxes buy the dumpster. I loaded about 30 iBooks into my truck and only about 15 of them worked. Anyway, I distributed them amongst my friends, and I have like 6 left.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Nicholai wrote:Last year when my highschool bought new wireless labs, I found all the old iBooks in cardboard boxes buy the dumpster. I loaded about 30 iBooks into my truck and only about 15 of them worked. Anyway, I distributed them amongst my friends, and I have like 6 left.
Sweet deal! Just curious, what kind of specs do they have?

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 pm

I want one plz? :cry:

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:56 pm

Nicholai wrote:Last year when my highschool bought new wireless labs, I found all the old iBooks in cardboard boxes buy the dumpster. I loaded about 30 iBooks into my truck and only about 15 of them worked. Anyway, I distributed them amongst my friends, and I have like 6 left.
They arn't G3 or anything?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:27 pm

Last year when my highschool bought new wireless labs, I found all the old iBooks in cardboard boxes buy the dumpster. I loaded about 30 iBooks into my truck and only about 15 of them worked. Anyway, I distributed them amongst my friends, and I have like 6 left.
if their the fruity G3 ones im mebe intersted in one too lol. my school had a few they werent using any more and i offered to buy them but they refused to sell them to me on the grounds that they had a minor crap the year before about accidentally leaving student data on some PCs they sold
Last edited by Triton on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Could you send me one of Working iBooks and one of the non working iBooks please?
Last edited by nightwheel on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 pm

nightwheel wrote:Could you send me one of Working iBooks and one of the non working iBooks?
I wanted one first!!!1

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:38 pm

I wouldn't mind to have one...

I remember last year my social studies teacher told me that my school was throwing out a bunch of old laptops and he was going to try and get me some. He was never able to though.
Meh, I don't post much.

khaag

Post by khaag » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:10 am

I love how someone mentions that they found a bunch of iBooks and then tons of complete strangers expect him to give them one for free. :roll:

*facepalm*
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:26 am

Any chance you'll pawn those things off here? I'd be interested. :P

The only thing I've ever gotten free from school was a 22" Sony CRT. Pretty nice screen, actually. We upgraded to Pentium 4, D, and Core 2 Duos this year, so all the old Pentium 3s with half a gig of RAM and some pretty nice graphics cards are simply just sitting there. In my computer networking class, we threw Ubuntu on about 10 of 'em and made a separate network outside of GroupWise, but with the same capabilities. That's where we host a proxy and some other fun stuff like WoW servers. But that's a secret. :lol: Anyways, I'm hoping that by the end of this year when all the old systems get filtered down to the elementary level, some will be dumped and I can grab a few. Hopefully.

CTFan

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:37 am

Yeah I want a laptop pawn um off cheep' and I have dibs on one! (or give them away free?)

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:50 am

I haven't been to school for 22 years now; but a few months ago I got a free laptop from my father. Story: he bought "the latest and greatest" about a year and a half ago, then a few months ago he kept telling me about problems he was getting; things not working, etc. I kept telling him to reformat and reinstall Windows but he didn't want to. He used the "repair" option on his Windows disk, it didn't cure the problem. I kept telling him to reformat and reinstall Windows and the problems would go away, system would be faster, etc - he didn't want to and he didn't want me to do it for him. He got fed up with it and gave it to me. After a few days I got to work - in under 2 hours I had reformatted and reinstalled Windows and everything was working perfectly - free laptop. I told him this, if he had wanted it back I would have given it to him but he bought a replacement by then so I kept it!

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:13 am

I never get ANYTHING for free... (besides CRT monitors on craigslist XD)