Best Way to DESTROY an iPod

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:40 pm

I own a 2G Nano. I like it, it's a good player, it does what I want, iTunes is a good media program/music service, and it has good sound quality. It's not the end-all, be-all music player by any means but it's not a total pile of crap like you make them out to be. I don't blindly buy up anything iPod related just because I own one. (The only thing I did get is a hard plastic shell to protect it from getting too beat up.) I only use the stock earbuds when I'm using the hearing protection things because they fit inside them. Other than that I use the headphones that came with my old CD player or a $20 Sony pair, not $100 "made for iPod" headphones which don't sound any better.

So, yeah. Not everyone who likes Apple is a blind consumer whore. :P

What I really hate is when people are so opposed to something without being open to the other side of the argument that they start running their own mini-crusade against what they dislike, while conveniently setting aside facts (like our old friend Jack for example...)

And for this "smash one and it will be justified" crap, it's really copulate stupid. You still bought a goddamn Apple product, and destroying another for no reason won't ever change that. If you really want to make the deal null and void, smash your Touch or return it and buy a Windows Mobile PDA. Smashing a Nano because you bought a Touch is copulate stupid. At the very least you just wasted $20. :roll:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:07 pm

bicostp wrote:And for this "smash one and it will be justified" crap, it's really screw stupid. You still bought a goddamn Apple product, and destroying another for no reason won't ever change that. If you really want to make the deal null and void, smash your Touch or return it and buy a Windows Mobile PDA. Smashing a Nano because you bought a Touch is screw stupid. At the very least you just wasted $20. :roll:
Bic, have you ever heard of doing something for fun? :P

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:31 pm

I enjoy fun! It's fun!
Hey, sup?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:09 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Bic, have you ever heard of doing something for fun? :P
Yeah, but $20 is a bit much to spend on something to smash for fun. You could get 20 cheap trinkets to smash at Dollar Tree for the same price! :D

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:17 pm

It's snowing for you too? It's snowing great over here! We've got a good foot at least already, and it's still coming down.
Hey, sup?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:22 pm

bicostp wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:Bic, have you ever heard of doing something for fun? :P
Yeah, but $20 is a bit much to spend on something to smash for fun. You could get 20 cheap trinkets to smash at Dollar Tree for the same price! :D
Meh, I've been saving for the past 3 months to buy some nice presents for my family this year at Christmas; the $20 was, literally, the change after all my purchases, and was more of an impulse buy than anything. Regardless, it looks like I won't be smashing up this Nano, as Triton has so graciously offered up an old iPod shuffle. :)

And yeah, it's coming down hard here, too. We've got a foot on the ground, and another four inches on the way overnight. I REALLY hope school gets cancelled. We've had ice storms and blizzards galore this season, yet they haven't called a day off yet. Hopefully the bus garage doors being snowed in will change their minds. :twisted:

CTFan

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:33 pm

If today was monday, it would be a snow day. But there's plenty of time to plow the snow by school.
Hey, sup?

Ecksem Diem

Post by Ecksem Diem » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:50 pm

Triton wrote:
Ecksem Diem put it perfectly when he said this was a symbol, and even moreso, a representation of my own personal guilt for buying an iPod, which I swore on my own grave I would never do. So no matter what, an iPod of some kind WILL be smashed.
then smash your freaking touch you goddamn hypocrite! and ecksem diem is making a mass of broad generalizations, sure the ipod is nothing fantastic (i agree 100% at it being overpriced. of medicore quality and hating apples business practice) but that doesnt mean that every single person who uses an ipod is a corporate whore and listens to crap music at low qualities, i bought a used 4th gen ipod for 50$ and used it till the hdd died, i usually used pioneer se505 headphones with it and if i had my sennheisers at the time i would have used those instead, i dont have any mp3s that are less than about 256kbps bitrate, its not audiophile quality but :shock: im not an audiophile, i dont care about super uber mega high quality sound
I could be mistaken, but I believe he was referring to what I said about the whole "destruction" thing being a symbolic affair, not the actual examples/mass generalizations themselves (honestly, didn't the overabudance of words like "eradicate" and "obliterate" indicate that perhaps my commentary isn't entirely serious? And if not, you mean to tell me that the whole "suggesting-we-kill-iPod-users-specifically-the-ones-who-flicker-the-lights-in-their-bathroom-on-and-off-while-they-dance-with-their-iPod-so-they-feel-like-they're-in-the-stupid-commercial" thing was taken seriously? Alright, well perhaps that specific example should be taken seriously, but the commentaries made earlier should not). Out of curiousity, how did this dude destroying this stupid little device turn into such an issue? I'd hate to see how you people lost your sh*t after the first of those "Smash My _______" videos. I mean, you guys do realize you're getting a video of a small piece of consumer electronics bursting into flames out of this, right?

Edit: Holy crap, I missed ZN13's Ditch Witch idea when I was reading through this earlier. Nice.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:21 pm

I'm just going to ignore all of the arguing, this sounds like a fun idea!

I actually enjoy doing this kind of stuff, because I always like to test the device I'm destroying after each thing I do to it. You know, just to see how much stress it can take. However, it seems that what you're after is a big explosion of some kind. What I suggest doing is taking the USB cable and cut the USB connector off of the end. Solder the power wires (should be red and black) to a lamp cord and plug it in to the mains outlet! Instant 120VAC through the iPod. :D

-iam
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:35 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Anyways, if anyone has a broken or nonfunctioning iPod of any sort, if you donate it to me and can have it here before this Friday, I'll send you the Omega I posted about earlier in this thread. So you'd be trading a busted, crappy device for a great PMP, helping charity, and, if you're an iPod fan, saving this Nano. As Michael Scott would say, it's a win-win-win situation. :P
I have a 3rd gen that doesn't have a hard drive that I'd trade you. PM me if you want it (its already take apart/semi destroyed, case looks ok).

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:50 pm

vskid wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:Anyways, if anyone has a broken or nonfunctioning iPod of any sort, if you donate it to me and can have it here before this Friday, I'll send you the Omega I posted about earlier in this thread. So you'd be trading a busted, crappy device for a great PMP, helping charity, and, if you're an iPod fan, saving this Nano. As Michael Scott would say, it's a win-win-win situation. :P
I have a 3rd gen that doesn't have a hard drive that I'd trade you. PM me if you want it (its already take apart/semi destroyed, case looks ok).
Mind posting a picture? If it looks okay, and isn't already too destroyed (takes the fun out of destroying it yourself :lol: ), then I'll definitely swap 'ya!

CTFan

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Pretty much the worst damage was peeling the touchpad thing off the back of front plastic. (I though I'd done more to it)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Looks perfect, vskid! It can be completely reassembled (with the exception of the harddrive), right?

CTFan

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:43 pm

hey hey hey now i PMed first! and this shuffle works mostly (i think the battery is gone to crap in it and it isnt worth replacing) have to find it tho as my sister was using it (reason enough to smash it!)

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:46 pm

I say put thermite in it, nail it to a plank of wood, light the fuse for the thermite, watch the fireworks, then run over it with a lawnmower, then microwave the remaining peices.

oh BTW somone has microwaved a nano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9-Uv7dra7E