If you've made a portable or a cool mod project...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

RezCrimson
If you've made a portable or a cool mod project...

Post by RezCrimson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm

I have a severe love for modding. I am looking at making a website that will catalog mods that I have found online, with credt to the modder if possible. Kind of an encyclopedia of modding. Maybe a wiki? If anyone is interested in having their portable or mod project forever immortalized on the internet, drop the image links in this thread with a description of what it is and what your name or internet handle is, unless you want me to use your screenname.

Also any suggestions reguarding the website?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:39 pm

we have a wiki. I don't know the link.
Hey, sup?

RezCrimson

Post by RezCrimson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm not talking about a portables how to or information wiki, just a site with pictures and descriptions of mods and that includes portables. Kind of like hack a day, but quite a bit centered around video games.

There's a lot of sites out there that do this sort of thing, but not a lot of them catalog them, they just set it up as a blog or something.

I think of it more as a format where there are sections, you click on them, and there are lists of cool mods without having to use a search function on a blog (i.e. engadget, hackaday)

Also a lot of these sites just link to other sites and then you get endless broken links. Additionally some very neat sites about a single mod go away and then the mod is lost forever and that's a shame.

theelk

Post by theelk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Yeah, there's a wiki. You should totally catalog all of the portables and other assorted hacks. Just do it on that wiki.
I don't want to make an "I'm leaving" thread, but I've sort of lost interest in this board. So if you notice that I'm gone, that's why.

RezCrimson

Post by RezCrimson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:34 pm

My only problem with doing a bunch of work to catalog this sort of thing on that wiki, is there's no guarantee that the site wont simply go down someday and I'll lose all of my work.

I also didn't notice any category for what i'm talking about on the wiki. Is that something that can be added?

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:42 am

RezCrimson - If you were to make your own site, promote it, make it professional, have pics of mod projects with the handle of the creator and a direct links to the BenHeck site where all details of the project reside (there can often be two links, one to the project and one to it in "News"), I don't see an issue. It would be interesting, and also help to promote this site further.

RezCrimson

Post by RezCrimson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 am

Yeah, I think it would be good for the community too. I think I will do this. It will take me a little while though.

JAY

Post by JAY » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 pm

Just so you know, though, we already have (or at least had) a site that catalogs the portables:

Portables of Doom

Edit: on another note, I did notice that the last "news" entry is February '07. Is anyone else keeping the site up to date? It's be a shame to let it phase out.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm not out to offend anyone, but Portables of Doom is crap. It has always been crap. There are a couple of useful pages, but that's it. It was a great idea that fell by the wayside long ago. For a long time it was used by many as an excuse to fight against making the wiki, but it's not even updated. Ever. The wiki may be slow moving, but at least anyone can update it if they feel inclined.

I say make your site. Here's my contribution.

SNESp number one

SNESp number two

PSOneP

And although they aren't video game mods, I figured I'd throw these in:

Digital Picture frame number one

Digital Picture frame number two

If you get this up and going, it will be great to have a website that just lists all the cool mods and hacks to browse at my convenience.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!