The hubub of the golden compass film.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamer2
The hubub of the golden compass film.

Post by gamer2 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:22 pm

WHAT is all this hubub about The Golden Compass movie being "satanic"? I am not trying to start a religious debate, I just want a clear answer.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: The hubub of the golden compass film.

Post by vskid » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:31 pm

gamer2 wrote:WHAT is all this hubub about The Golden Compass movie being "satanic"? I am not trying to start a religious debate, I just want a clear answer.
Its probably nothing, people just like to complain because they fail at life and need to make themselves feel better by putting down someone else's work.
Now days, you can't even say "Hi" without someone saying its racist, satanic, or some crap like that. :roll:

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:36 am

Those books are some of the best books I've read in my life. Many people bill them as anti-religious, but if you actually read them, you will discover they are much more anti-religious-establishments than anti-religious (if that makes any sense). I don't understand this, when people explode over books being "satanic" or "evil". Just take the books for what they are, a damn good FICTITIOUS story.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

DK

Post by DK » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:10 am

YOU AMERICANS RUINED IT!!!!

Yer, should be called "The Northern Lights" but as Hollywood is making it, they adopted the silly American name. Just want to know why?? By any chance do you not call the "Arora Borealis" the "Northern Lights"?

I loved the trilogy but its only in the later books I would have even thought of satanic references. Read them yourself and you'll see why.

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 am

I never read the books but I heard (not saying its true) that the kids in the book kill God in the end so they can do what they want. Is that true?
Death from my Desk

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:26 pm

First, don't talk about this sort of thing without spoiler alerts.
SPOILERS (highlight to read): wrote: God does die at the end of the third book, but the kids do not do it so they can do anything. They do not kill him. It just sort of dies on its own, after giving so much of his power to another angel. They take him out, and every fiber of his being gets blown away into the wind, as he is so old and frail after giving all his power and strength to his regent.
DK wrote:By any chance do you not call the "Arora Borealis" the "Northern Lights"?
Nope. We call them that just as much as you do. I don't know why they changed the title.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

CronoTriggerfan

Re: The hubub of the golden compass film.

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 pm

gamer2 wrote:WHAT is all this hubub about The Golden Compass movie being "satanic"? I am not trying to start a religious debate, I just want a clear answer.
It IS satanic! And Resident Evil 5 is racist because you shoot BLACK zombies, but Resident Evil 4 isn't racist because hispanics are okay to shoot in a game, just not blacks. 'Cause that's racism. Oh, and Bioshock is immoral, the Wii Zapper teaches children to shoot guns, Harry Potter breeds a new generation of witches, and the Da Vinci Code kills the souls of babies.

And THAT'S why The Golden Compass is satanic. Actually, it's more like why you shouldn't give a flaming monkey dookie-dook, but who's really checking, anyways? :)

CTFan

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:20 pm

I heard that the Author declared he was an atheist, and now Catholic schools are pulling it off their shelves. My mom told me, she teaches at one of those.
Hey, sup?

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 pm

I have not read the books in question, so I don't know.

You will probably find this article relevant:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... ge=printer

In this article, the author discusses these issues a little bit.

From reading it, the author sounds a lot more humanist than satanic. Of course, the Church of Satan is actually a humanist organization anyway, so with some stretching I guess you could reach such a conclusion*. He does go so far as to say that he wishes to undermine Christianity in his writing.

For the record, I strongly disagree with the analysis he presents of C.S. Lewis' work. I think he completely misrepresents the Narnia books.

* Note: I am not saying here that humanists are Satan worshipers. The Church of Satan is an actual humanist organization. I believe it takes its name as an act of parody, sort of like how some atheists claim to be faithful to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.