What OS do you use?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:49 pm

Well, im running it off of the live CD i made a while ago, and DAM, this is fast. My specs are only 2.80 GHz P4, 512 ram, and intergrated grfx. Quick question.. is there a linux version of limewire..(hope this isnt breaking rules)

ZN13
Steam ID: Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:52 pm

Well when I put Xubuntu on my desktop, I installed it on a slave. I added a GRUB Loader(or something along those lines). Now I choose XP or Xu
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol:

benol

Post by benol » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:13 pm

ghosstt wrote:Well, im running it off of the live CD i made a while ago, and DAM, this is fast. My specs are only 2.80 GHz P4, 512 ram, and intergrated grfx. Quick question.. is there a linux version of limewire..(hope this isnt breaking rules)
Google says yes.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

gamemasterAS
Steam ID: lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:03 am

ghosstt wrote:Quick question.. is there a linux version of limewire..(hope this isnt breaking rules)
Why on earth would you ever want Limewire ?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:25 am

well since we are talking about OSes anyways...

I bought a new laptop (thinkpad R61i) and it came with vista home basic. Besides the excessive bloat and tons of preinstalled cruft, it was kind of a neat experience. Putting that aside, it was terrible and I couldnt handle the 750MB of page file usage - shortly after booting!

So I dual booted XP MCE 2005, and breathed a sigh of relief. except kinda not actually cause it never dual booted. Its just XP now. which is fine with me, except I cant delete any of the c:/windows directory that vista was installed in (It takes up 8gb!!!!).

I tried booting bartPE on a CD, but it cant see my hard drive (its SATA, if that makes a difference). I also went into safe mode to poke around once, but my keyboard and mouse didnt work (!) and then I had to stop investigating. Im guessing that you have to go in safe mode and set the folder permissions or something like that.

So has anyone ran into this before?... can I put a SATA driver into bartPE?
Do I really have to reformat?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bicostp
Steam ID: bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:02 am

timmeh87 wrote:So I dual booted XP MCE 2005, and breathed a sigh of relief. except kinda not actually cause it never dual booted. Its just XP now. which is fine with me, except I cant delete any of the c:/windows directory that vista was installed in (It takes up 8gb!!!!).
I hope you repartitioned and didn't just slap XP onto the same partition as Vista... ;)

Go to www.bootdisk.com and grab a 98 boot floppy. Start up off of that and run fdisk to get rid of all the existing partitions. Then install MCE off the CD, making the entire hard drive one NTFS volume. (Or you could set aside 30 gigs for programs and use the rest for data storage, so if you ever have to reinstall you have less of a chance of losing everything.)

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:07 am

Ok, this is basically completly off topic, but it will eventuall lead to me running linux =P. I have a dell dimension 3000, and im taking an extra HD, installing it, blah. But THe dell only has one HD cage.. Am i supposed to install the 2nd HD into the expansion slot??

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:43 am

bicostp wrote:I hope you repartitioned and didn't just slap XP onto the same partition as Vista... ;)
well yeah I did. lol. I was afraid it wouldn't like XP and I would save myself time if i had to go back to vista.

Generally the desktops in this house have at least two partitions, but for some reason Ive always stuck with just one on my laptop. Every time I needed a new windows XP, I would just dual boot it, move everything over, then delete the last windows directory. :P. Since programs have to be reinstalled partition or no partition, and I dont keep much important stuff other than my documents on here (its a laptop not a server!), I dont really see a need to divide up the files.

Anyways, the problem that I see here, is that if a PE copy of windows on a CD cant see my hard drive, what are the odds that a 98 boot disc will? Plus I wanted to avoid reformatting, as it is a giant pain in the ass.

I guess the easiest solution here is to just pop in the windows CD and let it format for me.

But Im more or less pissed off that I cant delete my own damn files on my own damn computer. theres gotta be a way...

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bicostp
Steam ID: bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:51 am

Oh. SATA. Yeah that would create a few hurdles... :P You might be able to remove the partitions with the <a href="http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page">SystemRescueCD</a>. If that doesn't work, then the latest version of Knoppix or DSLinux might.

You really don't want to install two copies of Windows to the same partition because they'll fight with each other.

[size=0]I know I'm a desktop Linux naysayer, but it's good for recovery operations.[/size]

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:03 pm

Main Computers:
- [Very] old Toshiba225cds running Windows 95
- An HP with a dual boot of TinyXP SP2 and Knoppix Linux
- Apple with Mac OSX 10.4

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:52 pm

XP pro SP1 (40 Gigs)
Fedora Core 6 (4 Gigs)
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

samus
Steam ID: masamus

Post by samus » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:29 pm

xp media center. meh.

easton

Post by easton » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:56 pm

the desktop: XP Pro SP2 (pirated edition)
laptop: XP Home SP2

I've been known to use various forms of live linux to boot computers that have damaged windows partitions.

nic8082242
PSN Username: ncmlls

Post by nic8082242 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:05 pm

vista, xp

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:57 pm

well i used Vista for a while but i got tired of the broken, slow bullscrap so i went back to XP and everything is cool. i also use Xubuntu on occasion but since it cant do games or use a few windows programs yet i will not make it my OS of choice any time soon.