ATTN Speed demons! Radar Detector help needed

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

G-force
ATTN Speed demons! Radar Detector help needed

Post by G-force » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:57 pm

So I'm pretty slow, but I make up for my lateness of getting out of the door 5 minutes late by getting in the car and putting a few more inches between the accelerator and the floor. Seems to me that this can only go on for so long before I get a ticket.

So I'm faced with either changing my slow ways of waking up late... Or plop some money down for a radar detector. :P

Anybody have one they could recommend? I'm looking at the Whistler here
http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-XTR-325- ... 903&sr=8-1

And also a few different Cobra ones. I'm looking to keep it under $100, since past that I might as well just get the dang ticket. (cops are pretty lenient around here with warnings too)

Thanks!

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Gforce. Those are useless. Seriously.

They are useless because, well. They're illegal (xD), but they suck for the most part because, they alert you when its too late. Like, Seriously. if your busting off 100 mph, and then it beeps, and goes off. Your gonna have to brake pretty fast so the cop doesnt see ya.

One time, in a car mag, I seen a fricken crazy thing thats just like what you want.

Its a radar, with a twist.

If you dont slow down, and the radar detects you going faster than the speed limit, This thing interupts the radar and sends back a garbled or inaccurate reading.

I'll try to get the name, again.

Plus, its legal. Said right in the book, in a 4 page "advertisement".

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:36 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Gforce. Those are useless. Seriously.

They are useless because, well. They're illegal (xD), but they suck for the most part because, they alert you when its too late. Like, Seriously. if your busting off 100 mph, and then it beeps, and goes off. Your gonna have to brake pretty fast so the cop doesnt see ya.
Actually, they do work. You are only thinking of one strategy cops use, which is they see you going fast, pull out their radar gun, and clock you. Then you are almost 100% screwed, unless the gun malfunctions, the cop is stupid, or you're extremely lucky. Usually, though, cops set up speed traps, where they park next to the road and just point the radar gun at traffic. Then the radar detector can start to pick up the radar before the cop starts getting a return, so you can slow down before you get too close.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:51 pm

Or you could set your alarm to go off 10 minutes earlier. :P

It's free...
Last edited by bicostp on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:56 pm

Don't forget to get one that doubles for laser detection, fancy cops use those :P
Or better yet, use quantum physics to get to places

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:58 pm

bicostp wrote:Or you could set your alarm to go off 10 minutes earlier...
Really, why waste the money while still running the risk of getting a ticket?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:22 pm

I make up for my lateness of getting out of the door 5 minutes late by getting in the car and putting a few more inches between the accelerator and the floor.
Well, THERE'S your problem!

A radar detector? Come on! Use your money for better things, like an LCD screen for a carputer or something.

To me, being a popular science reader, Radar Detectors ads are equal to Male Enhancement ads or the ROM ads. They're completely fraudulent, and a waste of your money. (If you're going to argue about male enhancement products being fraudulent, please, try some first. Don't speak without knowing! :P )

I believe popular science did something on radar detectors a while back. I remember because there was an "ask the editor" flame article about how they shouldn't promote them.
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Kurt_ wrote:To me, being a popular science reader, Radar Detectors ads are equal to Male Enhancement ads or the ROM ads. They're completely fraudulent, and a waste of your money. (If you're going to argue about male enhancement products being fraudulent, please, try some first. Don't speak without knowing! :P )

I believe popular science did something on radar detectors a while back. I remember because there was an "ask the editor" flame article about how they shouldn't promote them.
They had a comparison of radar detectors in the April 2006 issue (I just found it a couple weeks ago, so it was fresh in my mind). The cheapest one they had in their comparison was $200, the one with the highest rating was $330 (I think).

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Just to sum up and answer everything mentioned in this thread:

-Radar detectors are NOT illegal. The fact that you can buy them at any Best Buy, Circuit City, or Radio Shack should tell you this.

-Definitely get one that detects Laser/LIDAR.

-A jammer is the one (I think) that garbles the readout on the officer's gun, but I'm not sure if it works for radar AND laser.

-Radar/laser detectors are NOT a sham, but there are good ones and there are not-so-good ones. Do some research.

-You may need to spend a few hundred to get a really nice one. Or you could just get up a few minutes earlier. ;)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:10 pm

some of the nice ones detect radar lidar and laser, coulda used that this morning, 40 in a 25! :oops: 65$ ticket, in my defense i dont have a speedometer! lol

RezCrimson

Post by RezCrimson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:16 pm

Radar detectors are completely worth it. My dad has used one my whole life, and I cannot count the times it has saved him a ticket.

What a lot of people don't catch is that the traffic cop is tagging everyone, so the radar detector gets set off before you even get near the cop.

Also, radar detectors are completely legal. You can buy them everywhere. If they were illegal, there's no way you could buy one at radioshack.

I'd pick one up. You're pocketbook will thank you later.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:34 am

They are illigal in many places. In Hillsdale County they are Illigal. If they catch you with one installed, you have to pay a $30 fine, and its removed from your car by any means.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 am

in some states the penalty for having a radar dector can be hundreds to thousands of dollars or getting your car impounded if your caught with a radar/lidar detector

United States law varies from state to state, but detectors are generally legal in private vehicles under the Communications Act of 1934[6] and illegal in commercial vehicles by DOT regulation (49 CFR 392.71). Exceptions:

* Illegal in all vehicles: Virginia, Washington D.C., U.S. military bases
* Illegal in commercial vehicles under state law: Illinois, New York (specifically, commercial vehicles over 10,000 lb. and all vehicles over 18,000 lb.)
* Indirectly illegal: Minnesota and California (illegal to hang anything from the windshield with suction cups; however both dashboard and visor mounting is allowed.) [1]
* Repealed: Connecticut (repealed in 1998)
Last edited by Triton on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:27 am

You can buy a radar detecter almost anywhere. Actually having it installed in your car is illegal in many places. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

That may or may not be funny to some, but here's something almost everyone should find incredibly amusing! This is a thread about both breaking laws and endangering the very lives of other people. How fun.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:36 am

I could have sworn these were illegal.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).