Teen arrested...for stealing Habbo Hotel furniture!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Adam G
Teen arrested...for stealing Habbo Hotel furniture!

Post by Adam G » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Figured everyone else would like to know this...
Read the end, it's actually scary. A kid gets stabbed over a sabre? WTF has the world come to?!

BBC NEWS wrote:Virtual theft' leads to arrest

A Dutch teenager has been arrested for allegedly stealing virtual furniture from "rooms" in Habbo Hotel, a 3D social networking website.

The 17-year-old is accused of stealing 4,000 euros (£2,840) worth of virtual furniture, bought with real money.

Five 15-year-olds have also been questioned by police, who were contacted by the website's owners.

The six teenagers are suspected of moving the stolen furniture into their own Habbo rooms.

A spokesman for Sulake, the company that operates Habbo Hotel, said: "The accused lured victims into handing over their Habbo passwords by creating fake Habbo websites.

"In Habbo, as in many other virtual worlds, scamming for other people's personal information such as user names has been problematic for quite a while.

Sulake spokesman wrote:It is a theft because the furniture is paid for with real money
"We have had much of this scamming going on in many countries but this is the first case where the police have taken legal action."

Habbo users can create their own characters, decorate their own rooms and play a number of games, paying with Habbo Credits, which they have to buy with real cash.

"It is a theft because the furniture is paid for with real money. But the only way to be a thief in Habbo is to get people's usernames and passwords and then log in and take the furniture.

"We got involved because of an increasing number of sites which are pretending to be Habbo. People might then try and log in and get their details stolen."

Six million people in more than 30 countries play Habbo Hotel each month.

Virtual theft is a growing issue in virtual worlds; in 2005 a Chinese gamer was stabbed to death in a row over a sword in a game.

Shanghai gamer Qiu Chengwei killed player Zhu Caoyuan when he discovered he had sold a "dragon sabre" he had been loaned.
Link

Valium

Post by Valium » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 pm

I don't even understand why people spend money to buy furniture thats not even real.

Adam G

Post by Adam G » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Valium wrote:I don't even understand why people spend money to buy furniture thats not even real.
One phrase, "e-penis".

What 50-something year old man wouldn't be attracted to a 10 year old child with $5000 in virtual furniture? If that isn't a turn-on, I don't know what is.

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Adam G wrote:
Valium wrote:I don't even understand why people spend money to buy furniture thats not even real.
One phrase, "e-penis".

What 50-something year old man wouldn't be attracted to a 10 year old child with $5000 in virtual furniture? If that isn't a turn-on, I don't know what is.
A 10-year old child with $5001 in virtual furniture :P
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:37 am

So you pay money for pixalated screen furnature? Actual money? Not game money? :lol: who would do that? hahahaha....

And people say GTA leads to trouble...... jeezus....

Ecksem Diem

Post by Ecksem Diem » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:55 am

Between GTA's homicidal maniacs and Habbo Hotel's imaginary furniture-owning denizens, I think I have an idea of who I'm going to side with. Hint: it's the guys with the gun charges.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:07 am

Virtual theft is a growing issue in virtual worlds; in 2005 a Chinese gamer was stabbed to death in a row over a sword in a game.
Diablo 2 anyone? What a great game...I miss it.

Anyways, if anyone actually gets their parents to give them their credit card number so they can buy virtual furniture for their online chatting with friends they've never meet (see e-penis), they deserve a lot more than getting furniture stolen. Stuck up brats.
Hey, sup?

soundwave

Re: Teen arrested...for stealing Habbo Hotel furniture!

Post by soundwave » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:46 pm

BBC NEWS wrote:a 3D social networking website.
I think the real travesty here is calling an isometric tile game 3-dimensional.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:47 pm

I was thinking this over. Listen to what I've gathered.

A kid, who clearly lacks all social abilities, creates an account on Habbo Hotel.

This kid makes imaginary friends.

He then asks his parents for their credit card so he/she can buy virtual furniture with real money, in order to properly entertain his imaginary friends.

He then hands out his password to some older Habbo Hotel losers with no life, who then log on to his account and steal his virtual furniture.

Little Kid then goes to his parents, who then go to the police over the matter of the pixels he has been robbed of.

Methinks Kid #1 is quite the spoiled one.
Hey, sup?

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Diablo 2 anyone? What a great game...I miss it.
Speaking of that game. I got a friend who need a registration key for it. His parents un-downloaded the game. Anyone got a key for the game?

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:55 am

Kurt_ wrote:imaginary friends
You're an idiot.

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:27 am

When you say it like "downloading furniture for real money" it sounds absolutely insane but the concept is the same as DLC for any other game that you may play, you're paying for additional content. This just happens to be kinda lame content for a social game.

Also, did anyone hear about the parents in China that were arrested for selling their kids to play games? They needed money for the internet/gaming cafe and didn't need their kids, so they sold them to pay for their addiction. It was pretty crazy (especially since "not needing" their kids was basically how they justified it).

EDIT: Found the link here
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

yep, people forget that stupid idiots playing farmville on facebook have made zynga over a billion dollars -__-