The official Funky Food Thread! (and cheap food!)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
The official Funky Food Thread! (and cheap food!)

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 pm

Hey guys. We need a good ol' thread to bring up the moral here, so bring it on!

I want you guys to take pictures, and desribe food you make. Try to also put directions on how to make the food.

If you guys find that theres a cheap way to make a feast fit for a king (Perfect for someone on a budget), dont be afraid to tell us. We want to hear it all! (Serious! I'm on a budget as I made a bet with my parents that I could fend for myself and by my own groceries for 2 weeks, and I wanna eat like a king.).

So, to start it all off.
Here's what I made today. Basically noodles, cheese, and ground beef.
Its very delicious. I added some salt and pepper to zest things up a notch!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:32 pm

my personal extremely filling but not super appetizing sounding meal is my world renowned (not really) rice and eggs!, to start make a serving or 2 of the rice of your choice (i prefer boil in bag over minute rice) and as that is sitting and cooling get 2 large eggs whip them with a little milk (1-2 tblsp) and throw em in a skillet over medium heat (already hot) scramble em up good and add a piece of american cheese and some salt to the mix! after the eggs are done dump them into the rice, add refried beans if you have em and mebe some taco meat and a bit of taco sauce, makes a very filling good meal! beware the consequences tho (beans eggs etc you get the idea :twisted: )

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:44 pm

I would be curious to know what inspired this bet.

I don't have photos of any food readily available, but I can make a few suggestions.

Buying food short-term is almost always more expensive than buying long-term. By that I mean that if you had to go for six months or something then your average weekly grocery bill would be a lot lower than it would be for just two weeks of cooking because you can't really stock up on stuff.

But here are some food suggestions:

Oatmeal: Get plain old-fashioned oats, which are really cheap. You can cook it in the microwave for a few minutes and add spices and raisins and stuff yourself to have a good, cheap breakfast. It's a lot cheaper than the pre-packaged instant oats. Alternatively, I like to get a bowl, toss in about half a cup of dry old-fashioned oatmeal (it's a lot better than the instant stuff), and then add just a tiny bit of water. Just add enough water to make it a little damp. Heat it in the microwave for about 33 seconds, then sprinkle very lightly with sugar. It's dirt cheap, and I think it's pretty good.

Omlettes: Just mix a couple of eggs and a spattering of milk in a bowl and pour into a small non-stick pan on low heat. Keep an eye on things, and possibly add some cheese on top. When the edges get bubbly and slightly firm, flip it and cook a little longer. Eggs are cheap, so this makes a really cheap dinner entree.

Tuna cheesy pasta/ Tuna and macaroni and cheese: At Wal-Mart or something, you can actually buy something called "Tuna Cheesy Pasta," which is really cheap and just requires some water, butter or margarine, and a can or tuna. Or, you can just get a box of macaroni and cheese and mix according to the directions and add a drained can of tuna at the end right before you eat it. They go together surprisingly well.

Hamburger Helper: This stuff is pretty darn cheap, and if you can get ground beef on sale it goes pretty far. My favorite is just called "beef pasta" or something.

Frozen vegetables: They are a lot tastier and more convenient than canned vegetables. Most can now be prepared in the microwave. The frozen corn I've been getting lately has been really good. Don't get it on frozen on the cobb, though.

Salmon patties: Get a cheap 14oz can of store-brand salmon, a small can of either corn with peppers or just corn, some whole-wheat saltines, two eggs, and a small onion.

You know how saltine crackers come in those separate sleeves? Crush about half of one of those sleeves. In a bowl, mix the entire can of salmon (don't drain it), the crackers, the drained can of corn, half of the onion (finely chopped), and the eggs. Make sure it's all mashed together.

In a frying pan, add a little oil and heat it up on medium heat. Get a little bit of the mush you mixed up and from it into a little bit of a patty. Don't make it too big or too thick. Plop it into the frying pan and let it cook for a few minutes. It's really something you have to get a feel for, but after something like three minutes, flip it over and cook for another three minutes or until golden brown. I can usually do three patties at a time, and I wind up making about six or eight from the batch, so you'll have leftovers. They re-heat alright.

Corned beef hash: Cut up two or three potatoes (depending on size) into pieces around the size of tater tots. Add just a little oil to a frying pan and cook the potatoes over medium heat, turning occasionally until they are brown. Then lower the heat and add a can of corned beef, sort of chipping it out of the can as you go, stirring it into the potatoes. Allow it to stay in just a little while to warm it before turning the heat off completely. I love this stuff.

Baked chicken: You can usually buy chicken leg quarters really cheaply. Buy a pack. They're cheaper the more you buy, but since you're only worrying about two weeks, don't buy too many. Also, get either some Italian dressing or some barbecue sauce. Just pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F (you do the math, Canadian). If you want to use Italian dressing, go ahead and rub some on the chicken. You're at your own risk rubbing barbecue sauce on it, becuase I don't remember how well that works. Let it cook for 40 minutes. Then pull it out, pour a little more dressing or some barbecue sauce over it, and stick it in for about 20 more minutes. Then pull it out and make sure it's fully cooked. Don't forget to turn the oven off.

Fun way to cook chicken or fish: Crush a bunch of corn flakes. Buy or cut fillets of fish or chicken. Get a little bit of egg white and either dip the strips or brush the strips with the egg white before rolling or shaking them in the crushed corn flakes. You can then cook these in a frying pan without oil. It's pretty healthy, and it gives you a lot of the satisfaction of actually frying the stuff. You can get flash-frozen fish fillets pretty cheap if you don't mind tilapia.

Smoothies: Mix half of a banana, a few tablespoons of frozen strawberries, three tablespoons of vanilla yogurt, a couple of ice cubes, and a little fruit juice in your blender. Blend. If you're already buying fruit juice anyway then this can be a good, healthy, and inexpensive luxury, though it may be getting a little cold for it.

Also, there is a lot of really simple stuff that's really cheap. Spaghetti and marinara sauce can be made for about $1.75 and feed you for several meals. Beans are crazy cheap, but I don't know how to make anything from them except beans and rice. But that is a very good, very cheap meal.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:04 am

saw this and thought it appropriate.

http://www.loadingreadyrun.com/mondays/ ... +Cooking+3

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:11 am

oh, and i live off of easy mac, oatmeal, rice, and taco bell leftovers.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:30 am

Well, what inspired the bet. Was, my brothers a low life sleez ball, and stays at home, doing weed, and never getting a job.

So I want to prove to my parents, that I have the responsibility to fend for myself.

Also, the bet goes like this. If I win, I get what ever I spent (Need Reciepts for proof) doubled and given back to me.

Example:
I spend, $150
I get $300 from dad.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:17 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:Well, what inspired the bet. Was, my brothers a low life sleez ball, and stays at home, doing weed, and never getting a job.
Is anyone's brother not like that? You should just buy ramen noodles for two weeks and just use whatever flavorings you can get to make a mean bowl of noodles. Then when you only have like 3 more days left just buy some food and eat like a king with whatever left over money so that you get more money out of the bet. I also have to say the rice and eggs thing always works and if you mix some spinach into the mix it's amazing.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 am

Cheap, Good Food -

Any ramen with beef jerky
Mac and cheese w/ hot dog bits in it
Nachos! (Salsa+chips+cheese+microwave=YUM!)

Good Food -

I make a corn souffle that is AMAZING. Corn, creamed corn, saltine crackers, sugar, salt/pepper, and water. That's all you need. Basil can be used, or nutmeg. But no matter how you make it, it turns out good. I'll see if I can make an approximate recipe. (I make it according to instinct. I'm a cook, not a baker.)

- Juice 8)

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:57 pm

The Ghetto Breakfast Burretto!{Ghetto Burrito}
Corn tortilla
Cold Brisquit{S/P}
Pepper jack cheese
Egg
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

benol

Post by benol » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:02 pm

typamc95 wrote:The Ghetto Breakfast Burretto!{Ghetto Burrito}
Corn tortilla
Cold Brisquit{S/P}
Pepper jack cheese
Egg
How is that ghetto? Oh, and it's spelled simpler than you would think. "Brisket"
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:16 pm

I enjoy fruit over candy any day.

Simple meals to make are Sandwiches (bread, cheese, meat slices (lots of 'em) and some mustard is great and easy.)

Spaghetti.
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Simple meals to make are Sandwiches (bread, cheese, meat slices (lots of 'em) and some mustard is great and easy.)
Sliced meat? I'm assuming its cold, too? The only way sliced meat is good is on Arby's sandwiches (the regular roast beef ones). Those are heaven on a bun. The only good meat sandwiches besides that have warm/hot chunks of meat (like ham or turkey) and nothing else (I'm not a fan of veggies and cheese on my sandwiches.

My favorite sandwiches are plain ol' peanut butter & jelly and grilled cheese.

benol

Post by benol » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 pm

vskid wrote:My favorite sandwiches are plain ol' peanut butter & jelly and grilled cheese.
I second the motion.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:11 pm

vskid wrote: My favorite sandwiches are plain ol' peanut butter & jelly and grilled cheese.
Grilled cheese is pretty good as long as it doesn't have mayonnaise.

Peanut Butter and Jelly really is incredible, though. I know I've eaten at least three thousand of them. My consumption has been a little irregular the past seven years or so, so I can't give a better estimate than that.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:15 pm

Limewater wrote:Grilled cheese is pretty good as long as it doesn't have mayonnaise.
What the? I've never heard of putting mayo on grilled cheese (maybe because I hate mayo). I just put butter on one side of a piece of bread, put it butter side down is the hot pan, put the cheese on that, add another slice of bread on top, and then put butter on the top piece of bread. Then you flip it when the first side is done, take it out of the pan when the other side is done, too. No mayo involved (sick crap).