I need opinions on my band!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

sgtpepper
I need opinions on my band!

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:23 pm

I'm in a band called Solstice, and we just spent yesterday and today recording one of our songs in Garageband. It's a rough recording and the microphones we used weren't the greatest, so I don't want opinions on the quality of the recording, just on the music itself.

Go here, listen to "Not Alone"

Thanks!
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Not bad for a garage band, but the base is too loud. Turn down the base and turn up the drums/guitars. Nice guitar solos.

It's not the kind of music I listen to, but if I was into that genre I'm sure I'd like it :P
ImageImage

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 pm

The guitar work could be a little neater, but I really liked it. The vocals were on key and sounded powerful. The mixing was pretty decent too.

-iam
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:14 am

sounds pretty good, not really my sort of music but sounds tight for a garage recording

im in a band too, we did some recording a little while ago

http://www.myspace.com/thewhitecoatsmusic

check it out if you feel so inclined

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:47 am

Pretty nice, the vocals sound very Evanessence-ish; I really don't like the band that much, but the lead singer has a very unique voice.

CTFan

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:25 am

I figured I'd bump this, rather than start another topic. I didn't get too many posts the first time around, so maybe you guys would like to see some videos!!

"Not Alone"
"Cold Day In December"
"Emily"
"The Goodbye Song"
"Free"

The videos have been compressed, and the audio quality isn't great, but it gets the job done until we record in a studio next weekend! Woot 8)
 My iBook's modded logo!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:48 am

It's like a mix of Nirvana and Evanescence. You got one powerful singer there (except she needs to work on her louder notes, they feel too faded in and forced)

Your guitar and bass are rough-sounding. Nirvana was famous for that kind of stuff, and I like it, although cleaning it up a bit wouldn't hurt at all. Clean it up but keep a bit of the edge, if you know what I'm saying.

Rachel's Song is great. I realize it's only Lee, but it's very emotional. It's deep.

You guys have potential. In Cold Day, I suggest quieting down the bass (however much you feel it may hurt), turn up the guitar a bit, turn down the vocals a little bit, and get some male singers in there. Her + A guy for the parts she can't do would be awesome. Especially at 3:14 (pi!) in Cold Day, you can tell she lacks the ability to go loud cleanly.

Great stuff, I couldn't make up stuff that good (although I could probably play it nearly as well). Not 100% my kind of music, but it's good enough to go radio, if you got it recorded good and the likes. But come on, play some happy, cheery music. It's all so depressing! Make a cheery, jumpy song, just for kicks. Think Primus. Make on for me?

(I like Emily, but still, depressing and lacking some male low vocals.)
(Free is great. Just what America needs. Not depressing at all, but Lee's high voice still makes it kind of bleh. Free is very Nirvana.)
Hey, sup?

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 am

Sounds like evanescence. That bands pretty good, but you should do a beatles-cover band.

EDIT:
Solstice is:
Lori Lee- Lead vocals and piano
Dylan Bulloch- Lead guitar
Rohit Mittal- Drums
Scott Weiss- Bass
AMI LEE ANYBODY????

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 pm

ganonbanned wrote:Sounds like evanescence. That bands pretty good, but you should do a beatles-cover band.

EDIT:
Solstice is:
Lori Lee- Lead vocals and piano
Dylan Bulloch- Lead guitar
Rohit Mittal- Drums
Scott Weiss- Bass
AMI LEE ANYBODY????
Well that may be because that's her older sister... :wink: :roll:

And by the way, the quality of the recordings doesn't do her voice any justice at all. Once we get some studio recordings up, you'll see what I mean. I like her voice better than Amy's, personally.
 My iBook's modded logo!

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:35 pm

at first I thought you were a wise-ass, than I saw you were from little rock. pretty sweet. good luck on your band.

BTW, I added you to myspace.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Sounds pretty good, I can't wait until you can get some decent recordings. Live performances almost always don't do the music justice.
sgtpepper wrote:And by the way, the quality of the recordings doesn't do her voice any justice at all. Once we get some studio recordings up, you'll see what I mean. I like her voice better than Amy's, personally.
Do you know Amy personally? I love her voice (and I assume her sister's, too, as soon as I can hear a decent recording).

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:51 pm

i vote you change the name to sgt peppers lonely hearts club band :lol:

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Wow Im not into that kinda of music (I prefer mostly heavy metal) but I like your band and hope maybe you release some high quality stuff.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:29 pm

vskid wrote:Sounds pretty good, I can't wait until you can get some decent recordings. Live performances almost always don't do the music justice.

Do you know Amy personally? I love her voice (and I assume her sister's, too, as soon as I can hear a decent recording).
Yeah we should have studio recordings up next week, we're recording this Saturday!

I don't really know her that well, she's more of an "acquaintance". She went to the same high school as me (yearbook pics to prove it! 8)), so I know her from that. Their voices are extremely similar, Amy's seems to be naturally a bit higher, but they seem to have about the same range. If they sang the same song, it would be very difficult to discern the difference!
 My iBook's modded logo!

Annie Frankenstein

Re: I need opinions on my band!

Post by Annie Frankenstein » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:50 am

SOLSTICE

HAILING FROM LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS

BAND MEMBERS: LORI LEE - VOCALS/KEYBOARD
DYLAN - BASSIST
SCOTT - GUITAR
ROHIT - DRUMS

THE BAND ARE NOLONGER KNOWN AS PLAINSONG, BUT ARE NOW REFERED TO AS SOLSTICE, FRONTED BY LORI LEE (AMY LEE'S LITTLE SISTER) FORMED 2 YEARS AGO & ARE NOW BACK IN ACTION WITH UP COMING GIGS IN JUNE & JULY.
VINO'S BREW PUB 2 NIGHTS
& BENIFIT GIG FOR TROOPS, CONWAY, ARKANSAS

SOLSTICE WANT TO BOOK A SUMMER TOUR!!!!

BOOKING EMAIL: SOLSTICEISAWESOME@GMAIL.COM

WEBSITES: http://www.purevolume.com/solstice
http://www.myspace.com/solsticeisawesome
http://www.youtube.com/solsticeisawesome
http://www.bebo.com/TheBandSolstice2006
http://solsticeisawesome.buzznet.com
THEIR FIRST OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.Solsticeisawesome.piczo.com

UK PROMOTER EMAIL ME: anniefrankenstein@live.co.uk

IF YOU WANT YOUR UNSIGNED BAND OR OFFICIAL BAND PROMOTING.

sgtpepper wrote:I'm in a band called Solstice, and we just spent yesterday and today recording one of our songs in Garageband. It's a rough recording and the microphones we used weren't the greatest, so I don't want opinions on the quality of the recording, just on the music itself.

Go here, listen to "Not Alone"

Thanks!