ThePirateBay.org + 10,000 Legal disputes

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Felino
ThePirateBay.org + 10,000 Legal disputes

Post by Felino » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Before people say that this should be locked / deleted i checked with the admins before posting.

Now, the pirate bay is a sweedish torrent tracker right? Well, it seems that fox and other media biggies have been going dirty against them.
The Pirate Bay wrote:TPB files charges against media companies
Thanks to the email-leakage from MediaDefender-Defenders we now have proof of the things we've been suspecting for a long time; the big record and movie labels are paying professional hackers, saboteurs and ddosers to destroy our trackers.

While browsing through the email we identified the companies that are also active in Sweden and we have tonight reported these incidents to the police. The charges are infrastructural sabotage, denial of service attacks, hacking and spamming, all of these on a commercial level.

The companies that are being reported are the following:

Twentieth Century Fox, Sweden AB
Emi Music Sweden AB
Universal Music Group Sweden AB
Universal Pictures Nordic AB
Paramount Home Entertainment (Sweden) AB
Atari Nordic AB
Activision Nordic Filial Till Activision (Uk) Ltd
Ubisoft Sweden AB
Sony Bmg Music Entertainment (Sweden) AB
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Nordic AB

Stay tuned for updates.
Now, in the past, they have got out of legal issues, based on the fact that they host no illicit files on their servers, purely links to it. This email that they refer to above, seems to have been leaked by an unkown person for the moment, but who knows if it will stand up in court. The pirate bay seem to love sending nice 'love letters' bragging about this.

But here is wre is gets sticky.

After a raid on the piratebay by swedish police, its home page got brought down by a ddos attack, seemly brought down by angry piratebay users.
Police wrote: "Our homepage had to handle 500,000 visits per second and it's obviously not going to handle that. It's sort of like 10,000 people calling the same phone switch at once."

It also seems that the irate bay is down again, not just bad luck?

Discuss, no linking to illicit files please.

-Fel

I am in no way supporting, nor am against all this, i feel neutural towards this. This is not my law, and no action shall be taken, according to this information, any corrections talk to me about it.
Last edited by Felino on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:11 pm

It's completely legal. Swedish police should be targeting p2p'rs, not the trackers.

Felino

Post by Felino » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:15 pm

Ah, but what fox and others might have been doing isn't.

How does one target p2p users though?
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:14 pm

How to track P2Pers? Start downloading a torrent, go to 'peers', copy and paste the IPs?
Its what they did to get me, twice.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 pm

soundwave wrote:How to track P2Pers? Start downloading a torrent, go to 'peers', copy and paste the IPs?
What did they do when they got you?

Felino

Post by Felino » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:20 pm

Also, who may i ask?

I am sure that your isp would look at the packets, rather than going to that much trouble.. although, some trackers now encript the packets. :P

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:50 am

Didn't the same thing happen to torrentspy and isohunt recently? I honestly don't see why the big corporations continue to attack torrent trackers and piracy in general. Do they not think that maybe if they started making decent films we might actually pay to see them? I pirate a lot of stuff but if I think the movie is worth seeing in good quality I will still go and see it in the theatre. Also sometimes if I can't find a place where I can't find the film being shown in it's original language I'l download it because I think the crappy quality is well worth not having to watch a dubbed film.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:08 am

vskid wrote:
soundwave wrote:How to track P2Pers? Start downloading a torrent, go to 'peers', copy and paste the IPs?
What did they do when they got you?
It was the..MPAA? The first time (not sure, it was for Battlestar Galactica episodes), then the ESA the second time, for Wii iso's. Nothing happened, the ISPs didn't release my information.
Typically ISPs will give you a chance with the first offense, and if it comes up again, they will release your personal information.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:52 am

Is the Pirate Bay any good? I used to use Torrentspy all the time, but they've closed their doors to US users :?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:18 am

dudex77 wrote:Didn't the same thing happen to torrentspy and isohunt recently? I honestly don't see why the big corporations continue to attack torrent trackers and piracy in general. Do they not think that maybe if they started making decent films we might actually pay to see them? I pirate a lot of stuff but if I think the movie is worth seeing in good quality I will still go and see it in the theatre. Also sometimes if I can't find a place where I can't find the film being shown in it's original language I'l download it because I think the crappy quality is well worth not having to watch a dubbed film.
First of all paying hackers/crackers to go in a disrupt or otherwise shutdown a website is cheaper then what the MPAA and RIAA could be doing. Hiring people that are creative, original thinkers and have ideas that have yet to be tried is something these clowns just don't do.

I aslo download, now as much as before. But really the kinds of thing I'd download are more geared towards things they've got more money off of, like TV shows. And really I like to go and see movies in the theaters when it looks to be good, and if it's a genuinely good movie (Mr. & Mrs. Smith) I'll buy the DVD.

I have a hard time thinking these people are really losing money on the account of P2P file sharing. Reason being that they make money off of showing the video, and then often times they sell it on DVD about a year later. They're making money on both areas and really people wouldn't be as they say stealing if they didn't have P2P or other file sharing means.

The internet is a tool and well simply put they can't stop the fact that people on the internet like to share things and those that are American believe in our Constitutional right of "Fair Use"... up to the point it's out on DVD.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:08 am

I really miss demonoid, it completed me. But I guess we all have to move on at one time or another.

Also Media Defender defenders Are my heros.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:13 am

Let's not forget these are greedy multi-million (and quite possibly BILLION) dollar corporations, lead by greedy multi-millionaires.

Who's to say they can't afford it?

Anyways, btjunkie.org is great.
Hey, sup?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Let's not forget these are greedy multi-million (and quite possibly BILLION) dollar corporations, lead by greedy multi-millionaires.

Who's to say they can't afford it?
Sometimes they can't. Think about all the money they dump into these movies. Millions of dollars and they can't even do a good job.

Prime example, compare the swords and the fight choreography between a movie like Count of Monte Cristo to Blood Rayne. Blood Rayne cost more, had poor acting quality in my opinion. But despite that it cost more.

Only other thing that I think they need to reduce is price of DVDs. There is no way they could be loosing money if they sell DVDs for $5 each. You do two things there, one is people will buy a movie just to watch even if they think it will suck, secondly is with DVD prices there you'll find most people will ignore pirating copies as it's more hassle then paying the $5.

But non of this will go through. The MPAA thinks that fair use is just two words and that the public will keep buying crap and worse yet crappy remakes.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:48 pm

Demonoids back

w00t F**king w00t w00t !

SavageLych

Post by SavageLych » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:43 pm

They arn't losing any money at all when you pirate somthing, its simply income they don't make. What there complaning about is probally related to projected sales and actual sales. Im sure they do tones of pointless studys on pirated media. Maybe if they were sold for a fair price people wouldn't "steal" sound. In my opinion you can't steal a sound, or ones and zeros. Sense when is stealing an idea illegal? China does it all the time with stuff we make here in the US. The only thing I think is stealing is when you dont give the artist credit for there work. Well the songs you download still have the same name and aren't changed. When they start making somthing worth supporting ill start paying for sound and sights. There are plenty of independent companys that give film and all that stuff away for free, yet people still buy it, why? because its worth watching and you want to support them. When you support them its a statement that you like what they do. Well in general most movies I've seen latley are complete garbage. </endrant>