Rubber bands.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Felino
Rubber bands.

Post by Felino » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:02 am

Well, in your cd drive there is a little rubber band that opens the draw right?

Now, people at my school delight in taking them and snapping them. I found out today that they are $4 each, thats right each. and we need about 50 or so. so i got comissioned to find heaps for a low price.

They are around 22mm, and black plastic of some sort. I need to find a place that sells them.

Help?
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 am

...What? I've never heard of this. Springs in CD-ROM drives I've heard of... but not rubber bands. Picture please?

Felino

Post by Felino » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:26 am

I currently don't have a camera but do this.

open your cd drive, in the hole that is left, there is a small puly, and a larger one, conected by a rubber band, this is only on some drives mind you. others have a direct drive.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:31 am

I know what your talking about. My girlfreinds computer is missing the band, and its very loud and the drive wouldnt go back in. Try buying them in bulk online.

twilightprincess

Post by twilightprincess » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:56 am

This always happens at my school. It's wierd that the pc's don't run without the band in...must have some sensor or something.

Felino

Post by Felino » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:19 am

'Buy them bulk online'
Yes but were! :D

dragon

Post by dragon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Try ebay mybe im not to sure.
Is it a pully or a band? if its a pully maybe you could mesure it and goole that :?

Dr. KillGood

Re: Rubber bands.

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Felino wrote:Well, in your cd drive there is a little rubber band that opens the draw right?

Now, people at my school delight in taking them and snapping them. I found out today that they are $4 each, thats right each. and we need about 50 or so. so i got comissioned to find heaps for a low price.

They are around 22mm, and black plastic of some sort. I need to find a place that sells them.

Help?
Go to office depot and you can buy large bags of small rubber bands for like $2-$3 and they should work fine.

They did it at my school too so freaking annoying...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm

If you have one and can measure it, you might be able to find a suitable replacement from <a href="http://www.mcmaster.com/">McMaster-Carr.</a>

Why do stupid kids always destroy the computers? :roll:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:15 pm

bicostp wrote:Why do stupid kids always destroy the computers? :roll:
Ya, its not even funny. Funny is swapping the monitor, mouse, and/or keyboard cables with 2 computers next to each other and watching the unsuspecting person come in and spend a few minutes figuring out whats wrong. Or using Firefox and being the only person in your web design class that can get the pages made for Netscape to work right. :P

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:53 pm

vskid wrote:
bicostp wrote:Why do stupid kids always destroy the computers? :roll:
Ya, its not even funny. Funny is swapping the monitor, mouse, and/or keyboard cables with 2 computers next to each other and watching the unsuspecting person come in and spend a few minutes figuring out whats wrong. Or using Firefox and being the only person in your web design class that can get the pages made for Netscape to work right. :P
Or taking screenshots at home and viewing them fullscreen, freaking out everyone ("OMG how did you change the background!!!1"). Or (this was done last year by some guy at my school, and he got suspended or something for it) VNC into a computer across the room, open an MS Word document on it, and start typing "This is God; how are you doing today?" and asking the person awkward questions. :lol:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

benol

Post by benol » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Another funny thing to do: ctrl+alt+down. It flips the screen!
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:28 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:VNC into a computer across the room, open an MS Word document on it, and start typing "This is God; how are you doing today?" and asking the person awkward questions. :lol:
:lol:

I remember one time I made all the screensavers say a message, but added a twist! :P Each machine only got one word. While the room was in use it would only look like "all are belong" (since there were almost always more computers than people), but the next class to go in the room after all the computers went to screensaver mode got the entire message. 8)

And of course there's always this classic bit (just press the keys):

PrtScr, Windows key + R, mspaint, Enter, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+R Enter, Ctrl+F

But we should get back on topic. :P Kids taking apart, abusing, and stuffing things into the disc drives became so much of a problem at my old high school that they actually removed the drives and put filler plates in. (Hey it was better than their old strategy: krazy glue.) You might want to suggest this. (It's easy to throw a drive onto a computer if it's needed.)

Felino

Post by Felino » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:32 am

Even better is using 'net send [username] [message]' and then saying you are god or whatever.

Now, normal rubber bands aren't the best. They slip and stretch. And generally aren;t the right size. And those things are a pain in the @ss to get on. You try it :?

Thanks..

thehackerinside

Post by thehackerinside » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Electric Rain wrote:...What? I've never heard of this. Springs in CD-ROM drives I've heard of... but not rubber bands. Picture please?
See here!

As for getting the "drive belts" I would go round the repair shops and ask them, sure they will be able to get them cheap and in bulk.