What languages do you speak?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benol

Post by benol » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:¿Quieres que yo ponga queso en su ojo?
I'm the Spanish grammar nazi too!

¿Quieres que yo pongo queso en tu ojo?

OR:

¿Quiere que yo pongo queso en su ojo?
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Ponga = subjunctive mood

Su and tu are both applicable here, I believe.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

benol

Post by benol » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Oh. I don't know about subjunctive. However, tu is for familiar, so it goes with quieres. For su to work, it has to be quiere.
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:09 pm

i speak german. but i'm originally from an overly hispanic populated town so i kinda had to learn spanish to get some food from them.

not cool when you go to college and say hola to everyone and the hispanic groups get offended. wtf.

Mode7

Post by Mode7 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:00 am

Harshboy wrote:English, the only Language that Americans should have to learn in school. No Spanish/German/French BS for me, I think it's ridiculous that my school requires 3 Languages to be taken before my Senior Graduation. I could use those for Java or AP computer Science, but No! Let's learn retarded Spanish! Image
Three languages???????

I imagine two (including English) would be enough.. I mean, how are you supposed to dedicate time to all those?!

Anyhow, this is where I stand..
English is pretty much the de facto language of the U.S. and even Canada. Yes, I realize there is a heavy Hispanic populace here (though law doesn't dictate that we serve the Spanish language as it does for Quebec and its breed of French).

WE NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON A LANGUAGE WE CAN ALL USE TO COMMUNICATE. The entire world will not learn English, that's a fact. The entire world will not learn Chinese or Hindi, despite belonging to the two most populace nations (which are essentially geographically isolated). We aren't going to learn just any language because of cultural issues or pride.. So how about a universal language? Take for example, Esperanto. It's built for ease in that there are NO exceptions or irregularities, so memorization comes that much quicker. It also "belongs" to no single nation. Though, it is not perfect from what I hear. We can either use Esperanto or develop a whole new universal language. I'd rather be able to communicate with as many people as possible and learning 4093u languages will not cut it. Give me one and have everyone else learn it under the conditions that it gives everyone incentive to learn.

I understand the massive logistics behind such an undertaking.. creating the infrastructure in which to teach people this universal language. Heck, people wouldn't probably be interested. (It's almost like trying to introduce Linux to people who have used Windows for so long.. damn, that really is a horrible analogy is it not??) But the advantages would be enormous.. and it could be so much a gateway to other cultures as the original languages associated with them are.

As for Spanish... I'm Mexican, though most people wouldn't have known that while I was growing up on account of light skin plus not learning the language as a child. (I took it in H.S.) Anyhow, I'm not so keen on the language considering I know English already and that's really all I need to get around. HOWEVER, if one language is to coexist with English here in this country, it may as well be Spanish. (That doesn't mean people shouldn't learn English or must learn Spanish.) French and German can take a hike. We still appreciate what you've done and love you, though.

But of course, people won't care. Universal languages are crap anyway...
"The Nintendo stradegy will work everywhere except in America where most people dont give things a chance."

Time may prove the quoter wrong. =)

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:30 am

Harshboy wrote:English, the only Language that Americans should have to learn in school.
Ironic really, because American English is not actually English, it is a variation. I therefore agree with the precise wording of the above comment (read it closely)...

Some on this forum prefer to use text speak rather than English, more of a "grunt" teenage form of a language rather than actual words. (Low intelligence users, killing a language).

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:55 am

Way back in high school, I took 2 years of Latin and 2 years of French. Granted I had quite a bit of understanding at the time, but I remember very little of both, which can be summed up in two sentences: "Puella est in silva." and "Je n'ais parle pas Francais.".

I also grew up in southern California, and learned how to count to 100 and some very basic stuff just "on the streets". So yeah... no habla Espanol.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:08 am

I speak English, Russian, and cactus.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 am

bacteria wrote:Some on this forum prefer to use text speak rather than English, more of a "grunt" teenage form of a language rather than actual words. (Low intelligence users, killing a language).
What are you talking about? The majority of people on the forums speak perfectly good english and in most cases get attacked by the other forum members if they don't. If your'e talking about the members with less than 10 post then your completely right but they are not really "members" of the community and dont really count as anything here. WEll anyway, to what mode7 said I think we should all speak Latin. a lot of languages are already tied to it and I don't think anyone would complain about learning it.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:10 am

English, French (thanks to Canadian schools that make you take French :evil: ), and Portuguese.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:16 am

German, english, and I just began to learn spanish, so yeah. English and german..

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:05 pm

I gro'd up wid good englash!

I'm in French IV now. Language classes are not required past 8th grade, but they look mighty good on a college application. $2500 trip to france in the spring w00t!

benol

Post by benol » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm

bacteria wrote:
Harshboy wrote:English, the only Language that Americans should have to learn in school.
Ironic really, because American English is not actually English, it is a variation. I therefore agree with the precise wording of the above comment (read it closely)...

Some on this forum prefer to use text speak rather than English, more of a "grunt" teenage form of a language rather than actual words. (Low intelligence users, killing a language).
How different is American English from "The King's English" anyways? The difference can't be THAT large!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:39 pm

benol wrote: How different is American English from "The King's English" anyways? The difference can't be THAT large!
aparently he doesnt know the definition of "dialect"

anyway i wish i learned a second language earlier in school because it is hard to do in college when my brain is dumber for languages. the problem of course is which language would i pick at that time? because the only one i care about now is japanese because the japaneseasies are cool.

benol

Post by benol » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:46 pm

illustriouschin wrote:
benol wrote: How different is American English from "The King's English" anyways? The difference can't be THAT large!
aparently he doesnt know the definition of "dialect"

anyway i wish i learned a second language earlier in school because it is hard to do in college when my brain is dumber for languages. the problem of course is which language would i pick at that time? because the only one i care about now is japanese because the japaneseasies are cool.
Dictonary.com wrote:di·a·lect /ˈdaɪəˌlɛkt/ [dahy-uh-lekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Linguistics. a variety of a language that is distinguished from other varieties of the same language by features of phonology, grammar, and vocabulary, and by its use by a group of speakers who are set off from others geographically or socially.
2. a provincial, rural, or socially distinct variety of a language that differs from the standard language, esp. when considered as substandard.
3. a special variety of a language: The literary dialect is usually taken as the standard language.
4. a language considered as one of a group that have a common ancestor: Persian, Latin, and English are Indo-European dialects.
5. jargon or cant.
[Origin: 1545–55; < L dialectus < Gk diálektos discourse, language, dialect, equiv. to dialég(esthai) to converse (dia- dia- + légein to speak) + -tos v. adj. suffix]
By the way, japaneseasies isn't a word. Japanese is the singular and plural word for persons hailing from the nation of Japan.
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!