Finally... the touchscreen iPod (will suck balls)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Side Poll: What's the Size of your digital music library?

Less than 1GB
4%
1-2GB
22%
2-5GB
4%
5-10GB
13%
10-20GB
13%
20-40GB
9%
40-60GB
No votes
60-80GB
9%
80-100GB
13%
100-120GB
No votes
120-150GB
No votes
150-200GB
4%
More than 200GB
9%
1TB?!
No votes

Total votes: 23

DK
Finally... the touchscreen iPod (will suck balls)

Post by DK » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:54 pm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070905/ ... 26b_3.html

Basically a iPhone without the phone. Even the crappy lack of memory, only 8 or 16 gig. How the hell are you suppose to put all your music and video's on it. Its just impossible. 16 gig won't even hold all my music, yet alone all the films I'd put on it.

Basically it sucks balls :evil:

Anyone else got anymore rants about it?
Last edited by DK on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:11 pm

It won't suck, it has a touch screen! :roll:
Meh, I don't post much.

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Are you telling me...that a product from Apple...sucks balls?!
No!
Yea, it's a piece of four-day-old hawk crap. Just like everything else from Apple (except the g5 iPod video.)
Valve is the best company.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm sure it would be the best thing ever if it was made by LG or Panasonic... :roll:

I have a 2 gig 2nd gen iPod Nano and it's not even half full, and my PDA's 2 gig SD card is only a quarter full and it has a bunch of videos and programs on it. (You can fit a lot on a device if you transcode the files to the screen's resolution.)

How many people honestly fill their 50+ gig devices to capacity and listen to / watch everything on it on a consistent basis anyways?

Am I saying it's the best thing ever? No. However it's not utter crap either, just because you can't afford one.

It would be better with a hard drive, just like the iPhone would be better if it could act more like a real PDA.

EDIT: Has anyone even looked at Apple's website before flying off the handle?

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

It's an iPhone without the cell service. It looks like it runs the same interface, the screen's bigger and higher resolution than the current iPod's and Zune's, it has built in WiFi, and you can buy music right from the iTunes service without a computer. It does more than just play media. But like you said, it's primary flaw is storage capacity. Multi-touch screens must be expensive.

They should be marketing it as a PDA, not an iPod. (:lol: "The Newton is BACK!")
Last edited by bicostp on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:32 pm

8 gigs is plenty enough for everything you'll ever need.

Take a second to think about a video. compress it to run on a lower resolution screen (like the iPhone's) and sound quality to run off earphones, and you can fit plenty of videos on it.
Hey, sup?

benol

Post by benol » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:38 pm

bicostp wrote:I'm sure it would be the best thing ever if it was made by LG or Panasonic... :roll:
Actually, If LG or Panasonic made it, then we would know nothing about it, because the media doesn't care about LG or Panasonic
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:39 pm

1) You won't need to store videos on it, just open up Safari and goto alluc.org or open up the Youtube App and watch videos on there. I mean...seriously, when was the last time you watched 8 whole length movies on your iPod on the bus ride home or at your house? The only reason this would suck is if you don't have WiFi...in which it was a dumb decision on your part and you should have gotten the iPod Classic.

2) 8 GB is plenty of space for my music (iPod Video 30GB and i have only 2 GB of music...lol)

3) Touch Screen owns

4) Apple Haters can stfu

5) iPod Touch is awesome and I'm getting one.

benol

Post by benol » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Only one thing that will make or break my opinion on this. How much will it cost? If it's $450+, then it's more worth it to just get the iPhone. The one problem with its design is, however, it looks way too damn much like an iPhone. They should have put a way to distinguish the two at a glance.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:06 pm

benol wrote:Only one thing that will make or break my opinion on this. How much will it cost? If it's $450+, then it's more worth it to just get the iPhone. The one problem with its design is, however, it looks way too damn much like an iPhone. They should have put a way to distinguish the two at a glance.
8 gb = $299

16 gb = $399

(figures in USD)

The only cosmetic difference between it and the trim. The iPhone's is chrome, the iPod's looks more like shiny graphite-colored plastic.

Watch, someone's going to make a microphone add-on and a Skype client for it. :lol:

(/me still thinks it would be better as a new Newton.)

Besides, if capacity is your thing, you can get a 160 gb iPod Classic for $350, or the 80 gb model for $250. (That's the same price as the 30 gig Zune, by the way. :P)
Last edited by bicostp on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:12 pm

benol wrote:Only one thing that will make or break my opinion on this. How much will it cost? If it's $450+, then it's more worth it to just get the iPhone. The one problem with its design is, however, it looks way too damn much like an iPhone. They should have put a way to distinguish the two at a glance.
As Bic said, the iPod prices are:

8GB Touch: $299
16GB Touch: $399

but...

8GB iPhone is now $399

So...either an extra 8 GB or a phone? Which one would you choose? Now something is also bothering me...does anybody actually have 160GB of Music/Videos? Is it possible to even fill up the 80GB Model?

Either way, I think the Zune got it's final pwning for good. :P Also, I kinda like the fact that it looks like an iPhone, it makes ya look like you have a lot of cash 8)

Valium

Post by Valium » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Everyone's a sucker for touch screens . :)

Personally, I think Apple ruined the iPhone for themselves with this. Its what, $300 cheaper, and with more space? Buy that and some old $50 phone and you're set.

DK

Post by DK » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:28 pm

bicostp wrote:I'm sure it would be the best thing ever if it was made by LG or Panasonic... :roll:

I have a 2 gig 2nd gen iPod Nano and it's not even half full, and my PDA's 2 gig SD card is only a quarter full and it has a bunch of videos and programs on it. (You can fit a lot on a device if you transcode the files to the screen's resolution.)

How many people honestly fill their 50+ gig devices to capacity and listen to / watch everything on it on a consistent basis anyways?

Am I saying it's the best thing ever? No. However it's not utter crap either, just because you can't afford one.

It would be better with a hard drive, just like the iPhone would be better if it could act more like a real PDA.

EDIT: Has anyone even looked at Apple's website before flying off the handle?

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

It's an iPhone without the cell service. It looks like it runs the same interface, the screen's bigger and higher resolution than the current iPod's and Zune's, it has built in WiFi, and you can buy music right from the iTunes service without a computer. It does more than just play media. But like you said, it's primary flaw is storage capacity. Multi-touch screens must be expensive.

They should be marketing it as a PDA, not an iPod. (:lol: "The Newton is BACK!")
Could easily fill 50 GB and listen to it, i'm an audiophile so it's easy for me. Thats why I modded my old Creative Zen to have a 80 gig hard drive.

And don't bring if I can afford it into it, always seems like a low blow in an argument. Could get one if I felt like it because I work my ass off. And anyway, I never brought price into it. I understand the massive technological bounds in it and accept that's going to boost the price.

Just a tad angry at the whole lack of memory, which was the only problem I brought up.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:29 pm

I hear what you mean. 16gb is more than enough for my music, but for movies? I'm guessing around 400gb a film if you want it to look good on that screen. That's like 40 films, more than enough if you change them from time to time.

I hope:
-the battery lifespan is not horrendous like the iPhone
-someone figures out some kind of music-sharing hack
-there is AV out
-it runs OS X like the iPhone :)
-more memory!

The new nano looks pretty cool, but really uncomfortable to use (thumbwheel is positioned too low I think).

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:43 pm

joevennix wrote:around 400gb a film
:shock: :lol:

My opinion on the touch iPod is basically that it's not ready for prime time (too pricey), so they left the iPod classic there as the real iPod, and put the Touch in as a "premium", if you will. The Touch is basically for people who want an iPhone, but not a phone. (AKA Apple building off the hype they already have for the iPhone and making some iPod dollars out of it)

I have a 4GB iPod mini from 2 1/2 years ago that's not even half full. IMO, a 16GB Touch (size-wise, NOT regarding price), would be just fine for me. I fill it a bit with music, and the rest with movies. Like joevennix said, you don't need your entire movie library with you at all times. Having wi-fi and being able to surf the internet and buy music through the iTunes store is a VERY nice feature.

As for the price, $399 for a 16GB Touch seems a bit stupid when there's a 160GB classic for $50 less, but all the stuff in the Touch does (multi-touch, high-resolution, wifi, etc.) cost quite a bit to produce, and will eventually trickle down to the rest of the 'Pods (similar to the color screen with the iPod photo). Apple does like to have the cutting-edge tech "price be damned".
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:48 pm

My ipod 4th gen borke recently and I figured I would get the next gen when it came out and be able to fit most of the music off my computer on it with 30 gigs. But no apple realises that most the people who buy it's products are dumb and just buy the things because it has 'i' in the name and couldnt care less about capacity because all the Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears albums don't fill up 2 gigs anyway. Looks like I'll just get a ZEN then.

Edit: just notice that they have an ipod classic and that the ipod touch is just a new line. The ipod touch sounds pretty cool but I'm fine just with my music. I'll hopefully buy an 80 gig ipod classic soon.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).