Finally... the touchscreen iPod (will suck balls)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Side Poll: What's the Size of your digital music library?

Less than 1GB
4%
1-2GB
22%
2-5GB
4%
5-10GB
13%
10-20GB
13%
20-40GB
9%
40-60GB
No votes
60-80GB
9%
80-100GB
13%
100-120GB
No votes
120-150GB
No votes
150-200GB
4%
More than 200GB
9%
1TB?!
No votes

Total votes: 23

Lucretius
As seen on tv! :D

Post by Lucretius » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:41 pm

theelk wrote:
Lucretius wrote:Couple things of importance:
-The iPod nano is ugly as sin. Incidentally, this is because the broke a fundamental law of design known as the Principle of Unequal Spacing, which is enhanced in a vertical layout, as seen in he iPod nano. This even break of the ipod, plus the oversized screen plus the undersized scroll-wheel is what makes it look ugly as sin.
Have you held one in real life? I thought it was ugly in the pictures, but then I saw and held one in real life, and it's really not that bad. And video has never been a problem on such a small screen for me.
In fact I have, but that's beside the point. I found it just as unappealing when I went to the apple store on tuesday to have my iPod 5gen servied. It's still ugly as sin. Design is a fundamental, and if it doesn't work on paper or on a screen, it doesn't work. The ipod is flat, this makes it even less subject to change when in real life.

As for the touch. It seems really super, but I'll wait for 20gb or 30 gb. My tastes are too wide for just 16gb. Though that 160gb clasic is REALLY appealing! :o
-Luke

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:30 pm

sgtpepper wrote:Soooo.... Anyone else buying an iPod Touch besides me?
I will if iGet my vista.
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Why would you want Vista over an iPod? Vista Sucks...hell, I'll give you my Vista Home Premium DVD-Key.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:21 pm

Harshboy wrote:Why would you want Vista over an iPod? Vista Sucks...hell, I'll give you my Vista Home Premium DVD-Key.
He said he'll get one once he gets Vista.

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 pm

typamc95 wrote: I will if iGet my vista.
SWEET typo! :D

I dunno, the thing looks sweet, but I'd never ever buy one for more than $100. I prefer buttons that I can feel in the dark without looking in my pocket. Something thats durable enough to go running with me. Something that can be dropped and not scratch/break. So something as beautiful as this is completely lost on a person like me. What I have is a $35 sandisk 1 Gb MP3 player, and I don't even want an iPod to replace it with. I've found 1GB to be enough space(more would be nice though... 4 would be perfect!). It doesnt play music, it doesnt show pictures, it just does what it's avertised to do. Play the dang music. :P Thats all I want to pay for. Everything else is done much better and enjoyable on a PC anyways. I have yet to see a single person actually use their Video iPod HALF as much as their PC for movies. Or at all! I think people actually like paying for something they'll never use! I don't really get it... Is it a status symbol? I'd rather go with jeans if thats the case. Cheaper.

/G-force realizes he's rambling and goes back to eating his chocolate donuts....

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:13 pm

G-force wrote:It doesnt play music, it doesnt show pictures, it just does what it's avertised to do. Play the dang music. :P
:lol:

I like my 2 gig Nano for music. The screen's just too dang small for anything else. (Text files get crunched down, and one Ctrl+Alt+Del panel is barely readable by itself on the screen.) Videos, games, pictures, text files, etc. go on the Axim. :P The 2 gig SD card in it is more than enough for what I need. (When they're transcoded properly, 20 minutes of animation is about 55-60 MB and still looks good, and live-action video is about 100 MB for that amount of time.)
Last edited by bicostp on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:15 pm

G-force:It really was a typo....
Harsh: What iMean is that when [if] iGet my Club Live-Vista.
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Well, personally I use my 20gb iPod a whole lot. Not as much as my computer, but a whole lot. What gets me most with the Ipods is the podcasts. I love em. I listen to them more than anything. Music is also nice, but I don't listen to as much of it except on my bus rides to school and home. But I'd like to get something better. Perhaps the archos 604 wifi. It can play videos, only 30gb but it looks expandable. If someone just wants cheap music, go with the sandisk sansa express (I think). It's pretty damn decent and urgged for everything.

THON

Post by THON » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 pm

warmachine wrote:
Harshboy wrote:One question, do you actually listen to every single song or do you pick favorites? No way in Hell would I rip a 150MB CD when I could just take the one song and use only 3-5MB.
I'm a rather enthusiastic audiophile and I do listen to most of what I own on a somewhat [sic] regular basis. There's just so much of it to hear that it typically takes me a few months to listen to a good sampling of everything I own. I will admit, a lot of the concert recordings I own have multiple duplicate songs and they do not always get listened to; however, each concert has its own feel and emotions and, like choosing a wine, I choose a date which best appeals to my current tastes.

I may not listen to every single song consecutively, but I have listened to every song in my archive at least three or four times (more popular songs obviously receiving a greater number of plays).
THON wrote:That CD player must have been expensive! I wish I had some '80s CD's...

I've heard good things about Pi, how is it?
"Pi" is very good and definitely worth a watch, especially if you are into complex, suspenseful plots. Alternatively (and infinitely more complexly), you can and should view "Primer;" it's hard to find for sale, but Blockbuster has it for rent/purchase. It's a bit legendary for it's incredible production on such a meager budget (~$7000 USD), but it's one multiple awards and took the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes, if that serves as any indication of it's value. It is, simply put, raw science-fiction, and perhaps the most authentic and "real" sci-fi movie since 2001 [the movie, not the year]. Seriously, watch it.

Also, the CD player was stolen when I was about three, so even in 1990 it was still somewhat valuable I suppose (I'm looking for one still today to hear what it sounds like).
Thanks for the info, I'll check them both out! :)

Lucretius

It's sharing time, today...

Post by Lucretius » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:52 am

If it's all right, something I've noticed here seems poll worthy, so I'll add one.

What's the size of your music library on your computer? Myself, going on 80GB, and that's only because I'm limiting to how much I can put on my 5gen iPod. How about you?
Last edited by Lucretius on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Luke

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:38 am

Thanks for polling this Luc. I honestly think I could fill 100 gigs just with music in mp3 format and even more if it was lossless. I was just thinking though if you're in a place that has wifi everywhere it the ipod touch wouldn't be too bad if you could access sites like imeem and the such where you can listen to music. It's anoying right now though with me as I have no source of getting music since my dad only has sattelite internet so if he exceeds his bandwidth limit, 5 gigs, he gets charged up the ass.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).