Looking to buy a laptop. Need some advice.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Bass Creator

Post by Bass Creator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 pm

my pro has that hp he makes movies

Flawless
Reddit

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:45 am

Arghh, this is so confusing!! Are HP's unreliable or flawless!?

Everything I think about getting, half the opinions I read say it's amazing, and the other half says to stay away!
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:35 am

If you get the same discount on Dells and HPs, get a Dell. If not get an HP and see for yourself.

Bass Creator

Post by Bass Creator » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 am

not that i hate them its just they dont make a good laptop

SLOW HD
Reddit

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 pm

Well I can't get a discount on Dells. And I can get a %40 off on HPs.. So not quite what I thought.

And, my cousin is giving me her laptop for free because she says "It sounds like an airplane." The fans are really loud, apparently. It's a Toshiba. I Googled the problem and she's not alone. Maybe I can fix it... But I'm getting a Toshiba e755 PocketPC as my next gadget. Not a laptop.

(Yeah, I know the e755 is 4 years old and breaks a lot, but I used to have one and I loved it, until it broke.)

Or.. what's a good PocketPC for under $100 on eBay? It needs to have a touch screen (AKA, no blackberry, no Q) and it needs to be sort of thin... But I really don't care.

I really want to apologize for pretty much taking over this thread...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:35 pm

I like my Dell Axim X30 mid:

312 mhz Intel XScale processor (the high model has a 624 mhz version)
64 MB onboard memory
2 gig expanded memory (SD card)
SDIO compatibility
Windows Mobile 2003 SE
802.11b and Bluetooth

You might be able to find one for $100 or so. (It might be a little more.) Don't get the low model, it doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth. Right now there's a high model for less than $100.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Axim-X30-624MH ... onglink</a>

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Super Cameraman wrote:Well I can't get a discount on Dells. And I can get a %40 off on HPs.. So not quite what I thought.
If I were in your shoes, I would go with the HP. 40% off is nothing to sneeze at, even if it does mean that you're a little more likely to have to replace a drive or something.

Just treat it well.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:33 pm

bicostp wrote:I like my Dell Axim X30 mid:

312 mhz Intel XScale processor (the high model has a 624 mhz version)
64 MB onboard memory
2 gig expanded memory (SD card)
SDIO compatibility
Windows Mobile 2003 SE
802.11b and Bluetooth

You might be able to find one for $100 or so. (It might be a little more.) Don't get the low model, it doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth. Right now there's a high model for less than $100.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Axim-X30-624MH ... onglink</a>
I really don't want to spend that much... Man I wish I wasn't so cheap.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Sorry to double post, bump, and hijack this thread, but I won a Dell Axim X30 on eBay for about $90. Was it a good deal? I'm not sure what version it was though. (The 312 mhz, or the 624 mhz..)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Super Cameraman wrote:Sorry to double post, bump, and hijack this thread, but I won a Dell Axim X30 on eBay for about $90. Was it a good deal? I'm not sure what version it was though. (The 312 mhz, or the 624 mhz..)
As long as it has WiFi, I'd say so.

I dislike HP right now, their commercials are stupid. "If you buy your kid a laptop, they'll get good grades." Not uh. Not with me, if I had a laptop that good, I'd be playing Half Life 2 or something all day. Brand new laptops are not required for most normal school stuff. Thats why I don't have a new laptop, my parent's know it would not help my grades at all.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:36 pm

vskid wrote:I dislike HP right now, their commercials are stupid. "If you buy your kid a laptop, they'll get good grades." Not uh. Not with me, if I had a laptop that good, I'd be playing Half Life 2 or something all day. Brand new laptops are not required for most normal school stuff. Thats why I don't have a new laptop, my parent's know it would not help my grades at all.
Oh trust me, with an HP Laptop you'd be lucky to play the Halo Demo :P

jeep

Post by jeep » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Well, if you need a cheap one with a good graphic card, I'd take this one. This is the one I have and it's pretty awesome if you want my advice.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1897

I added another gig of ram and I'm more than happy with itl. A GeforceGO 7600 is something nice for a laptop. You'd be 3dsMax happy with that. Anyway, check the specs, shipping is cheap and I think this is a good deal.

Jeep

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 am

On the HP issue:
I have an HP laptop (zv6123cl). Yeah seems the charging circuit is faulty with HP. Mine started acting up about 10 months after I got it. However I contacted HP, they had me send it in (no charge), and returned it with a new battery and charger. I haven't had any more problems in over a year and I now have a spar charger and battery.

Dell seems to be a good brand to go with as I've hear. They're computers are not tip-top of the line but their good. I've also heard that if you need to they're very easy to open up and fix.

As for what type of laptop you want. If you plan on doing any gaming what-so-ever you need to buy one with a graphic chip that has deticated memory. Those Intel chips can do some OK gaming like my Acer with a 950 can run WoW, but I have to get more then 512MB in it as it uses 128-224MB of the main system memory for graphics.

I would also suggest going with an Intel processor. AMD is great but a laptop can't handle heat well and my HP gets really hot when playing WoW, making it very uncomfortable sitting on my lap after 10 minutes.

Size, if the computer is for school work don't concern yourself with getting a 15" or 17" screen. It'll break your back after a few days. Get a 14" or smaller for school, the weight is cut in half and you don't really need all that extra crap when you're just taking notes most of the time.

The only time I would advise anyone to get a Macbook, is if one they've got their heart set on a laptop and they're computer illiterate, impiecent, and have the money. If you're going to install Windows on it, only thing I'd have to add is that they need to get a mouse and carry that with them.

Otherwise you're kind of on you're own, you're the only one that can decide what's best for your needs.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey, the Pocketpc came today! It's awesome! Thanks for all the help.

SCM

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:24 pm

Load that sucker up with an SD card, TCPMP, Opera Mobile, and MiniStumbler! :D