Someone tell me what went wrong with certain christians?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:36 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Religon and religious people make me sick. Teaching people to blindly follow something that they have absolutely no factual knowledge on whatsoever. Sure, books like the Bible have positive moral messages, but so does Harry Potter. So why isn't there a Harry Potter religion? Come on. :roll:
Well that is not necessarily true. There is plenty of evidence that doesn't prove Christianity, but defiantly points toward it as truth. It's not really blindly following, or a leap of faith. Believing in a God just makes more sense to me than believing that the amazingly complicated beings that we are just accidentally appeared here. I mean, seriously, think about how very frail life is, it doesn't take much going wrong to kill us, so think about how ridiculous it is to think that enough things accidentally went right that it created life.

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:20 pm

All religion is bad as it causes people to stop relying on themselves and start relying on some fictional "god being" this causes people to start expecting this being to solve all their problems. I had a friend who started going to one of those speaking in tounges churches and after a while he decided that his ps1 had demons in it and burned it in his front yard, also with demons were his kids yu-gi-oh cards and even the toaster in the kitchen had a demon in it, he blamed all these things for his failures instead of owing up to his faults.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:27 pm

gamer2 wrote:I know how crazy xtains can get. My right ear does not function because of a xtian, I have a scar on the right side of my face was cut by a xtian when I defended Harry Potter. Come on! its a good book.
Yeah I've seen that video before, the whole documentary in fact, at school. It's really creepy, scary what they do to those kids. But it isn't fair to generalize the actions of a few with the whole. Of course Christianity is a huge religion, in fact the hugest religion, and so the crazy people are what get heard, kinda like some Europeans' idea of Americans. :)

EDIT:
bic wrote:I agree with Kurt. Religion is more of a metaphor about how we should treat each other than a factual account of what happened.
I like looking at most of religion and most of the Bible that way as well. Fundamentalists who take everything literally without stopping to even listen to alternate explanations seem like stubborn ignorami :) to me. Most of the Bible's stories are kind of like Aesop's fables in a way, at least I think. E.g. the story of Noah and the flood, Tower of Babel, even the Creation story, were probably exaggerated quite a bit/completely made up, but it makes sense to do so, they're for teaching moral values, and they've worked pretty well for some people. That's why I think trying to prove/arguing against the factuality of certain events in the Old Testament always is, or will be in the end, a waste of time. I'm a Catholic btw, and it is not in anyway against Catholicism to view some of the events of the Bible as allegories, you don't absolutely have to believe everything in there, just the basic underlying principles/morals.
Last edited by joevennix on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:38 pm

Chillax and live life the way you want, without influence from anyone else. Image

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:48 pm

dman762000 wrote:All religion is bad as it causes people to stop relying on themselves and start relying on some fictional "god being" this causes people to start expecting this being to solve all their problems. I had a friend who started going to one of those speaking in tounges churches and after a while he decided that his ps1 had demons in it and burned it in his front yard, also with demons were his kids yu-gi-oh cards and even the toaster in the kitchen had a demon in it, he blamed all these things for his failures instead of owing up to his faults.
It is unfortunate that your only experience with Christians is with that denomination. I know some people who go to those churches, trust me, that is not Christianity. That is a fear doctrine that the leaders of such churches use to gain control. They like control because they can use it to get money. This is a corrupt form of Christianity. Denominational Christianity in general is corrupt in one way or another. Which is why I don't follow a church, rather, I meet with my other Christian friends, and we discuss and interpret Christianity the way we know that it is intended to be interpreted. It's not an oppressive religion, and it is not something to fall back on and expect things from. The way I see it, God doesn't owe me anything. He already created this fancy Earth for me to live on and gave me my life to live, so why should I expect more from him. Christians who believe that God should be giving them something have it backwards. If anything we owe God something. Luckily all that God asks for is that we love him and try to follow the path that he has shown us to follow.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Twisted Warthog: We evolved quickly because we killed each other. Survival of the fittest. Now we're going to evolve slowly.

If a tall man could reach and apple and eat it, the short man would starve. Now, the tall man gives the short man an apple.
Hey, sup?

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Since the origin of life seems to be a big topic with this stuff, here's an answer that everybody can agree with:

In the battle of evolution vs creationism, the winner is.........

....who cares! We're here and that's all that matters. Why bother arguing or hypothesizing about something that has no impact on current life what so ever?
ImageImage

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:46 pm

daguuy wrote:Since the origin of life seems to be a big topic with this stuff, here's an answer that everybody can agree with:

In the battle of evolution vs creationism, the winner is.........

....who cares! We're here and that's all that matters. Why bother arguing or hypothesizing about something that has no impact on current life what so ever?
because curiosity is the nature of the beast. and people fight over religion, so that (I guess) makes them fight over which idea is "Right" and "Wrong", as you could say.

This is by far one of the most interesting Forum 42 conversations in a while...

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:15 pm

there is no right, there is no wrong, there just IS. we are here weather by the grace of god or a cosmic accident the fact that we exist is something wonderful and should be cherished yet we continute to fight over which religion is the "right" one and kill one another for petty things like that. not to mention with out total disregard of the planet we are slowly killing the ONLY place we have. i dont belive in global warming or any of that crap but with all the pollution from factories (developing nations like china and india are the worst, usa not much better in a lot of cases) large ships oil spills etc we are killing the planet. plus the oil and coal wont last forever!

live your life to the fullest and with no regrets because thats all we have, there might be some kind of afterlife but nobody knows for sure so live in the now and enjoy it while you can because knowing humans we are all screwed in the long run :roll:

:)

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:52 am

Triton wrote:there is no right, there is no wrong, there just IS. we are here weather by the grace of god or a cosmic accident the fact that we exist is something wonderful and should be cherished yet we continute to fight over which religion is the "right" one and kill one another for petty things like that. not to mention with out total disregard of the planet we are slowly killing the ONLY place we have. i dont belive in global warming or any of that crap but with all the pollution from factories (developing nations like china and india are the worst, usa not much better in a lot of cases) large ships oil spills etc we are killing the planet. plus the oil and coal wont last forever!

live your life to the fullest and with no regrets because thats all we have, there might be some kind of afterlife but nobody knows for sure so live in the now and enjoy it while you can because knowing humans we are all screwed in the long run :roll:

:)
I would like to expand on what Triton said. It's true that nobody really knows which, if any, religion is the right one. I believe that Christianity is the right religion. I believe this because I have researched the other options and have decided that this one is the one that feels right to me. The point is that, If there is an afterlife, I have a religion that promises it to me if I simply love my God and believe that he sent his son to die for my sins. I do not believe that the story of Jesus or the flood are metaphors. Why would a metaphor have parables inside it. Parables are metaphors. It makes more sense to take it as a retelling of history. That being said, I do not take everything in the Bible literally, because I know that some things are metaphors to help show us how to follow the Lord. You don't have to believe what I believe, but it is my duty to ask you all to at least consider Christianity, If it's wrong and there is no afterlife, you didn't lose anything, but if it's right and there is an afterlife, you may not like where you spend eternity.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:01 am

Kurt_ wrote:Twisted Warthog: We evolved quickly because we killed each other. Survival of the fittest. Now we're going to evolve slowly.

If a tall man could reach and apple and eat it, the short man would starve. Now, the tall man gives the short man an apple.
That doesn't mean we wouldn't evolve! Think of it this way. The short man doens't NEED to be tall so evolution doesnt' have to "kill" him. However people with low social skill are less likely to survive in modern world cause it's a needed skill so we are evolving to a more social species.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:18 am

We need to understand the past so we can predict the future- near and far. All is as it will be now, but what about a minute from now? An hour? A year? A century?
It's true that nobody really knows which, if any, religion is the right one.
The funny thing is, you have a great number of conflicting religions lacking factual explanation. Then off to the side you have science, offering factual explanation. The answer to "which one is right," should be obvious, I think.

Can we all agree that humans are curious by nature? (nod your heads). We like to learn things, we like to understand things. The christian god demands that you believe without understanding, and starts in with the "do not test god," stuff. Christianity, among other religions, places a complex notion in your head, but forbids you from exploring it. You may only accept it, acknowledge it, and follow it.

Why don't you touch the stove?
Because a supreme being told me not to do so.
Will you ever touch the stove?
No.

Why don't you touch the stove?
Because it will burn me.
Will you ever touch the stove?
Yes, when I learn to cook with it- to use it.

Which one makes more sense? What is more likely from a person: avoiding something because he is told to, or avoiding something because he has learned that it will hurt him? Telling a child "No" will not have any lasting effect unless the child disobeys and is punished as a result. Christianity is telling you "No." Science is telling you "No," and enforcing it- backing it up with facts, with actual understanding.

I suppose it isn't my place to tell someone what is right, though...but according to his religion, it isn't his place either! :lol:

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:45 am

Well personally, I'm hoping for an apocalypse soon, like in movies. I would love to be in that situation. fighting to regain the world and such. First stop, New York to get some guns! Closer yet, Toronto!!!
Kurt_ wrote:
Twisted Warthog: We evolved quickly because we killed each other. Survival of the fittest. Now we're going to evolve slowly.

That doesn't mean we wouldn't evolve! Think of it this way. The short man doens't NEED to be tall so evolution doesnt' have to "kill" him. However people with low social skill are less likely to survive in modern world cause it's a needed skill so we are evolving to a more social species.
Exactly. If the short man doesn't die, his flawed gene will still be in the gene pool. Evolution occurs when the random mutation of the next generation is excluded from the gene pool because it is inferior. I agree with your social ideas, I never thought of that.
Hey, sup?

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:50 am

Ya. One thing I would like to note. It's impossible to fully predict evolution. But judging on the current situation this is my theory of how it's gonna happen next.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:30 pm

This is fact: The more science tries to prove the Bible is wrong. The more they prove it's right.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P