Someone tell me what went wrong with certain christians?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:50 pm

nightwheel wrote:Well when the rapture happens you'll know then that god is real and miracles of god are true too.
Oh noes !!!!!!

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:53 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:
nightwheel wrote:Well when the rapture happens you'll know then that god is real and miracles of god are true too.
Oh noes !!!!!!
Both of you, please leave the topic if you cannot share your ideals peacefully and without making others feel like idiots.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:55 pm

Skyone, the point of that story was to show how he was given extra tim supposedly by god to finish his business on earth. Im not going to write anything in this topic for fear of ending up banned. Though I have to say I was a Catholic from when i was born untill I was about 13 when i was at a conservative cristian school and my entire belief of god or anything was kind of destroyed by Catholics which i found funny. I kind of got thrown out of the school in the end
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Skyone wrote:
gamemasterAS wrote:
Oh noes !!!!!!
Both of you, please leave the topic if you cannot share your ideals peacefully and without making others feel like idiots.
Ok ok ok I'm gone I just had to. :lol:

Lady Indecisive

Post by Lady Indecisive » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Then you best institutionalize me, triton. Everything in the Bible is Gods word. Spoken by him. Not writen down by him maybe, but its his word. I would die for my faith, the most painful way, a thousand time over if I had to. At least I would go to Heaven. Hopefully. That is more for God to decide. You guys can call me crazy all you want. As Saint Don Bosco Said, The more you shout and complain, the more it proves how scared and how much more you realize your wrong. I will pray for everyone on this site.

:)
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when pushed down a staircase.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:17 pm

I believe in the Great Green Arkleseizure, and fear the Coming of the Greate White Hankerchief.

Atchoo![/i]
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:23 pm

spoken by god and written by imperfect man a hundred or a thousand times over becoming more inaccurate and perverted and skewed as time goes on, i assume you follow the king james version of the holy bible yes?
New Testament scholar Bart D. Ehrman has written:

The King James Version is filled with places in which the translators rendered a Greek text derived ultimately from Erasmus's edition, which was based on a single twelfth-century manuscript that is one of the worst of the manuscripts that we now have available to us![3]
dont get me wrong, i belive that anybody should be allowed to belive what they want, having faith in someone or something can be a very powerful thing, i just choose to place my faith in more tangible things. belive in god if it makes you feel better as a person or whatever but accepting the bible as 100% fact and disregarding everything contrary to the bible as false is silly and anyone saying that they would be willing to die for a book and the ideas behind it scares me, its that kind of thinking that jihads and crusades are made of.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:31 pm

To qualify myself, I celebrate Christmas (trees, presents, and movies with Bing, not as much stress on mangers), I believe Darwin was right, there's just the atmosphere and the emptiness of space above us, just molten rock below us, consciousness is just electric activity in the synapses of the brain, when you die you rot in the ground, and the only times I've ever set foot in a church, monestary, or other place of worship were weddings, funerals, one bake sale/raffle, and a friend's Bar Mitzvah. (However you spell it. Sorry.)
What about people who do not believe in your god? What will happen to them when this "rapture" happens? Since they do not believe in your "rapture", then they do not have to fear it. They may have a similar event somewhere on the horizon (which also had a dozen or so deadlines in the last century), so what happens to you when and if theirs comes along?

In my opinion there are more real and present threats we should be concerned with. Waving books around and saying magic words won't do squat against the very real danger of a large chunk of rock weighing billions of metric tons crashing into the frail pebble in a delicate temperate orbit around a star we know as Earth. Kneeling next to your bed won't stop ruthless killers in third world countries from bombarding us with nuclear weapons we essentially paid for. (Face it the only thing stopping them from blowing us up is that if they did their steady flow of cash would cease.)

You cannot believe everything in a book that has been expanded, revised, and rewritten countless times. I believe the stories in it are exaggerated, sensationalized versions of events that may or may not have happened. For example, Noah's Ark was probably a local flood in low lying farmlands at the mouth of a river, not a worldwide catastrophe. If it really was that big, where did the water go (don't tell me "glaciers", since water expands when it freezes and therefore we would be one giant Earthsicle), and doesn't that mean every animal and human on earth is inbred? Don't get me started on creationism, because the most effective of random mutations being passed on to the next generation is more believable than some entity creating everything in a week for no apparent reason.

The entire basis of a religion, in my opinion, should be more about following guidelines to make the world more comfortable for everyone than blindly believing and following what the guy at the podium waving books around tells you. The stories should be more like Aesop's Fables, where they teach you a lesson, than a script for The History Channel.

I think "god" isn't as much a physical or historical entity but more of a conscience or state of mind where you think outside the small world that is your existence and consider what happens on a grand scale as a consequence for your actions. Granted we don't have much of an impact on what happens in another galaxy, or even the next solar system, but on a scale of a community, town, state, country or the entire planet. Starting a charity drive to help the local homeless? That's god. Collecting money to help the senior center or orphanage replace the leaky roof? That too is god. Starting a charity drive but going Enron on the funds? That isn't. In a way you're helping yourself by helping others.

The people who take religion to the extreme should really stop pushing their beliefs on others. (Just look at all the people searching the mountains for a wooden boat that probably rotted into plant food centuries ago.) It's not just religious nuts either; anyone who takes their ideas to the extreme is annoying and should be stopped. This includes fanboys and our old friends Jack and Tom.

Long story short, I think religion should help teach morals, not be the tell-all be-all solution to everything.

I feel that I should repeat what I said before: "Believe what you want. That's okay. Just don't try to force it on others. :)"

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm

Starting a charity drive to help the local homeless? That's god. Collecting money to help the senior center or orphanage replace the leaky roof? That too is god. Starting a charity drive but going Enron on the funds? That isn't. In a way you're helping yourself by helping others.
you are god! maybe Mike had it right in stranger from a strange land (robert heinlein is the author, a good book!)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Triton wrote:
Starting a charity drive to help the local homeless? That's god. Collecting money to help the senior center or orphanage replace the leaky roof? That too is god. Starting a charity drive but going Enron on the funds? That isn't. In a way you're helping yourself by helping others.
you are god! maybe Mike had it right in stranger from a strange land (robert heinlein is the author, a good book!)
No, not just one leading person, everyone participating is in a small way. It's more of a distributed thing like Folding@Home.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Lady Indecisive wrote:Then you best institutionalize me, triton. Everything in the Bible is Gods word. Spoken by him. Not writen down by him maybe, but its his word. I would die for my faith, the most painful way, a thousand time over if I had to. At least I would go to Heaven. Hopefully. That is more for God to decide. You guys can call me crazy all you want.
I agree. There is no reason to call him crazy, thats like saying that everyone that likes the color orange is crazy.
I personally believe in God, I'm LDS/mormon (its Christian for anyone that doesn't know or think it is), and I go to church regularly. I don't care what religion (or lack of) anyone here is, as long as you don't bash my beliefs, I won't bash yours. My church does have missionaries, but by no means do they push my religion on anybody, and neither will I. If you ask me about it, I'll tell you about it, but I'm not going to even think about pushing it on someone. The good thing about the internet is that it strips away the first impressions you have in real life, like you could hate a race and be great friends with someone online of that race. So I don't really like discussing religion online, I'd rather talk about the stuff this forum is about, portablizing and technology, though these topics are sometime necessary.

At the original topic, in all groups of people, there are those few that can give it a bad name.

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Why can't everyone get along believe in the flying spaghetti monster

Go on touch his Noodly Appendage :shock: TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:16 pm

NiN^_^NiN wrote:Why can't everyone get along believe in the flying spaghetti monster

I didn't think anyone could lighten the mood in this thread but, you just did. :lol:

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:36 pm

I am a pastor at a church www.igniteuk.net (the website still has some kinks to be worked out) so feel free to ask me some questions or whatever. I don't feel like reading the thread because I am tired right now. Oh and I would agree that there are a lot of dumb "Christians" out there :) but anyways I am going to bed
ImageImage

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:10 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:
NiN^_^NiN wrote:Why can't everyone get along believe in the flying spaghetti monster

I didn't think anyone could lighten the mood in this thread but, you just did. :lol:
But im being serious touch the noodly appendage lol