Someone tell me what went wrong with certain christians?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:13 pm

What i wasn't Catholic by choice my Dad was Catholic so he wanted me to be Catholic. All in all i think Jesus was a amazing guy that brought hope and love to many people who listened to him in those times. I just don't think he had miraculous ability's. And i don't believe in God because the theory or Earth being created by giant asteroids clashing into each other and creating a Planet made for life is more easy to believe in then a big guy creating it in 7 days. You guys can say what you wanna say thats just what I believe.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Lady Indecisive wrote:
Twisted Warthog wrote:I just find Christians to be over dramatic when it comes to God and all that crap. Being a Catholic person myself i don't really believe in God and i don't believe Jesus had magical powers but some people do take it to the extreme.

Some Catholic you are. :roll: And for the record, there not 'magical powers' , the correct term is Miracles.
reminds me of a good south park episode...

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Twisted Warthog wrote:I just find Christians to be over dramatic when it comes to God and all that crap. Being a Catholic person myself i don't really believe in God and i don't believe Jesus had magical powers but some people do take it to the extreme.
Dude, thats an oxymoron. I'm a proud Catholic myself. 8)
Edit:XPC! You're awesome! Keep it up! :D
Last edited by Darth Fett on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:18 pm

Good for you. Heres a cookie.

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:20 pm

This topic is about people who take religion too far. We aren't here to argue, Lady Indecisive.

I'm a Christian, but I don't go to church. Last time I went to my local church there was a rock band and a lazer light show. I didn't feel any closer to god.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:24 pm

first person to tell me the difference between so called miracles and magic powers wins a prize (not really) the following is my opinion:

organized religion is the cause for basically all of the worlds problems because people are stupid and cant agree to disagree. i think people should be allowed to belive what they want and NOT impose it on others. i could say more but i dont feel like it lol

Lady Indecisive

Post by Lady Indecisive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Great Job Watson! I could win your prize, but that would start another argument.

I thought religon related speach was not allowed on benheck. Someone shut this topic down, please. :?
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when pushed down a staircase.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Religion is basically feeble humans trying to understand what created the beginning. Nobody can comprehend this "nothing from something", so we make things up that require a little bit of faith. It's like denial. If you tell yourself that that your kitty ran away and is still alive for 20 years, you're bound to eventually believe fluffy is out there living happily in the wilderness. But fluffy died.

If you convince yourself that God created everything and Moses/Jesus/Mohammad/Other Prophet was influenced by God, you're bound to convince yourself that this is right, especially having been taught this from birth. The Catholic masses have a 3 year cycle. Thus, by the time you're 30 you've heard everything 10 times. Having been convinced this is the ultimate truth, some people convince themselves others are the "ultimate wrong".

As for my beliefs, I believe Jesus (and the majority of the bible) is a metaphor for how we should live life in order to be happy.

Making people happy makes you happy in knowing they are happy. Do things that make others feel good. It will make you feel good too!

I believe in God as a representation of what we can't understand. God represents what we can't understand. It is not something to be blindly lead by, it is something to accept. Accept that you can't accept what the truth is.

Having said that, the difference between miracles and magical powers are as follows:

- Magical Powers are creations by human imagination that better the lives of the possessor.
- Miracles are happenings that humans observe and can not explain, and often better the lives of the community.

On the topic of miracles, do other religions have them, or is it just us Christians?

Lady Indecisive: Shut down YOUR topic. We're merely having a discussion. Every now and then a good religion topic is needed so people can vent. One big one vs. lots of little ones.
Hey, sup?

Lady Indecisive

Post by Lady Indecisive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Wrong answer. Bang! :)

Moderators? Where are you when your most needed?
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when pushed down a staircase.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:22 pm

Lady Indecisive wrote:Wrong answer. Bang! :)

The are taking care of other, REAL problems

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Lady Indecisive wrote:Wrong answer. Bang! :)

It seems like you're the only one that has a problem with this thread out of however many have posted. Occasionally we do have discussions on politics and religion, which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to the usual "how do I use my gameboy screen on my 360?" questions and fanboyish name calling. It's fine as long as the discussions remain civil and mature.

I agree with Kurt. Religion is more of a metaphor about how we should treat each other than a factual account of what happened.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:45 pm

How do I use my gameboy screen on my 360?

Or

Hwo do i ues mi gaemboy screne on mey 360

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:46 pm

bicostp wrote:I agree with Kurt. Religion is more of a metaphor about how we should treat each other than a factual account of what happened.
That's true. But the problem is those who take it too far, who interpret every word as fact, which is the biggest problem with religion. And again, I say, there are THOUSANDS of mediums out there for moral messages, so why is religion so important? Because people need something to hug when they feel down, like a security blanket. Weak, in my opinion.

CTFan

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:47 pm

My theory is that there is a force (God) who created the big bang and persuaded things to happen as they did. This makes both religion and science beleivable, because the way things turned out was a very, very, slim chance.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Well people still don't get how we evolved so quickly. Originally it would of took up about 30 million years to evolve into humans from certain species of mammals. But for some reason we evolved more quicker than any animal out there today. I wonder why? :shock: