What can I do?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
What can I do?

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:49 pm

Hey, guys. As some of you know I bought a MDG Aptonbook XL. (As Seen here: http://www.mdg.ca/en/products/notebooks ... /specs.asp)

Due to the uncontrollable amounts of defects with the Aptonbook, MDG has DISCONTINUED making them.

Well, in march I bought mine with a 1 year warranty and I've had non stop problems with the laptop. Right now its being fixed by MDG. I spent $2000 on this laptop. I phoned and I heard the news and I'm outraged.

Then my mom phoned. She was pissed. They basically told her: I'll get my money back, or get a new model of the Aptonbook. A model that isnt fudged up. But the guy on the phone basically hinted to her that theres a chance I wont get my money or my laptop back. What now?

See, now I have to phone them tomorrow.

Are they allowed to keep my money?
Am I able to get a refund?
Am I able to demand a better model of that computer?

My mom wants to bring them to court. I personally think she'd win as shes a head at General Motors of Canada.

Help?

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:18 pm

They can keep your money, but its considered theft..I imagine you could sue them if they don't back their warranty and/or steal your money/laptop.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: What can I do?

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:46 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote, along with some numbers I wrote:1. Are they allowed to keep my money?
2. Am I able to get a refund?
3. Am I able to demand a better model of that computer?
1. They're only allowed to keep your money if you get your laptop back.

2. It really depends on their return policy and your warranty. If your laptop is still under warranty and it's sent in for repairs, then you should at least get the POS back. You paid for it, and it's your property.

3. Only if you're willing to pay the price difference between the new laptop's price and the depreciated value of your junker. I wouldn't recommend dealing with them again, get an HP, a Dell, or even an iBook.

This $2,000 , is this in total or did they just charge you a number they pulled out of their poop egresses?

If this continues, and they refuse to send your money or your laptop back, you can probably take them to court. You've done nothing wrong, they're just sleazy. (Just don't sue them for a ridiculous sum of money, like that guy who sued his dry cleaner's for $55 million because they lost his pants.)

But honestly, don't go by my legal advice, because I live in the US and all my legal education comes from The Peoples Court and Judging Amy. :P

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Re: What can I do?

Post by nightwheel » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 pm

They should give you money back or a new laptop. They be idiots if they did not. And if they don't, sue them for every thing they got.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:42 pm

They can't keep it. You paid for it, you own it. Its your property.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:16 am

Okay. Thanks guys.

Bic: The $2000 (Actually $2140) was a price that was advertised in the paper and such.