RC Lawnmower Ideas

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:09 am

Electric Rain wrote:As far as cameras, I wanted something more than a webcam. I said stereoscopic because I would imagine it would give a much better viewing angle, and better depth perception. Something like this, maybe?
I personally don't have any depth perception (right eye is off in his own little world), so stereoscopic cameras would just be a waste of money for me. Thats why I was thinking a 3rd person view would be best (as high and far back as possible). Then it'll show most of the mower and whats around it.
Electric Rain wrote:For steering... heh... I got a little crazy here. I haven't worked it all out yet, but I was thinking caterpillar tracks! Like a tank... :twisted: I would think this would be harder to build (Where would I even get the tracks? I've looked... I don't know...) but easier to steer, and it will make the ride much smoother (thus a much steadier video feed). There must be a reason why this isn't practical... but what is it? That's what I'm trying to figure out right now. :lol: Of course if I were going to do this and get this elaborate, all of the electronics would be done from scratch. No hacked up RC cars or anything like that. :roll:
Reason why tracks aren't used: they are too wide. If you slap tracks on the sides of your mower, you increase the amount of grass you can't cut. It might be different with your idea of weed wacker heads. The only place I know of that you could get the right sized tracks is from snowblowers. I'm now thinking I'll have a motor for each wheel and have it skid steer.
The electronics don't necessarily have to be done from scratch, its more or less the same as a battle robot (battlebots, robot wars) except it'll weigh less than the heavy weights and not go as fast. The way I'm planning will be kind of hard, but I believe I've found a source for serial speed controllers. Only problem is they can't handle too much power.
Electric Rain wrote:I was thinking pretty crazy on the actual cutting of the lawn too. First of all, I want it all to be electric. I don't care how big of a lead-acid battery I'll need. I hate gas (except for the smell... we all like the smell :lol: ). You know how weed wackers always seem to be able to power through thick, tall grass? Ever take a weed wacker to a section of grass where maybe you can't fit a lawn mower or something? Even cheap ones power through tall grass and even those humongous tree-like weeds. :lol: But of course... you go through the string like it's grape flavored floss that you're trying to suck the taste out of (Am I the only one that used to do that? :lol: ). So, rather than one large, metal blade like you'd find in a regular lawn mower, I was thinking of multiple weed wacker-type assemblies instead, with 3 or 4 of those steel weed wacker blades or something like that on them. 8)
Thats a pretty good idea, it would allow you to be more flexible on the size of your cutting area.

Could I get a low amperage motor controller and use something like MOSFET's to increase the amps that can be drawn instead of paying a ton for a high amperage controller?

And nice yard, bacteria.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:12 am

I just finished up a few books on robotics, I think this would really be a practical application for what I've learned. I think I'l actually build one. Having a few acres around the whole property, it takes a good day of moving to get done. Of course, my robot would be better suited for smaller environments, but I'll see what I can cook-up. Thanks for the idea.
Making XNA Games in C#.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:41 pm

I agree with Dman on this; an automatic lawnmower would be even better then RC.

EDIT: However, I'm not trying to diss the RC concepts either :wink:

Plenty of ideas for steering and power have been suggested already. MY favorite is powering the two back wheels independently for steering, and mounting the fronts on swivels or some such.

That just leaves control:

Parallax Boebot kit
Parallax GPS receiver

The Boebot kit can be had for about 70 on eBay (new), and the receiver module is 69 and some cents. The boebot includes a basic stamp and two servo motors (for things like engaging the mower engine). Total cost is about 140. I haven't paid much attention to the motor controllers yet, and I figure the actual drive motors for the mower could be found (stolen) for plenty cheap.

I would use this mower for basic work. My (father's :P ) ride-on leaves uncut areas I have to weed-wack anyways, so I wouldn't be too concerned about getting in all nooks and crannies. The GPS module won't be used for exact positioning as much as heading and speed. The mower'll turn to the position data if it gets way, way off course.
Last edited by teraflop122 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:34 pm

teraflop122 wrote:I agree with Dman on this; an automatic lawnmower would be even better then RC.
*shrug* Who says we have to choose? Automatic + manual override = win. :) It wouldn't be very much extra work to add manual control.

About the blades... I have NO idea what's a good idea and what's totally idiotic. So I'm gonna throw a couple things out there... one, hacksaw blades, and two, some kind of circular saw blades (probably fine ones). Thoughts? I don't know how well either of these would cut grass or how long they'd last. :?

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 pm

How about lawn mower blades :P

If my plans come to fruition, I'll be building right atop a normal lawn mower, with only minor modifications to the chassis.

I'd say the next best thing would by weed-wacker cord. Might be a little safer too. Then again these are only my opinions, and I am no lawn equipment guru.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Oh come on, you guys can't stop portabalizing long enough to mow a lawn?

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:48 pm

teraflop122 wrote:How about lawn mower blades :P
... <.< >.> But I don't wanna... :( I want to do this from scratch. Like I prefer to do with all of my projects. Plus, I want a larger cover area. What am I gonna do, use 3 or 5 lawn mower blades? (I say 3 or 5 because one way or another, I have to stager blades so I make sure I don't miss any grass, since I can't put them right next to the each other for safety reasons.) That's crazy... and will probably take WAY too much power. Weed wacker cord breaks far too often, and I would need it at a specific length so it doesn't miss any grass or hit the other assemblies. Oh, and the way I see it, if we're talking about safety, 20 hacksaw blades spinning around at a high speed probably has less of a chance of amputating one of your limbs than 3 or 5 lawn mower blades spinning around at a high speed... don't you think? Although you'd get severely f'ed up either way if you were stupid enough to run yourself over with it. :lol:
Valium wrote:Oh come on, you guys can't stop portabalizing long enough to mow a lawn?
~1/8 an acre like before? Yes. 2.5 acres? H311 no. :wink:

Edit: Hmm... 20 hacksaw blades or 5 lawn mower blades...? OMG I NEED TO KNOW WHAT WOULD EFF UP THE MOST STUFF!!! :lol:

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:28 am

Chain saw chain, if you look at the big bushhoggy things that the state uses for large plots of land, they use regular type logging chain, so use some chain saw chain and get better cutting plus not as much chance of it hurting stuff.

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:36 am

Well I dont think hack saw blades would cut very well, and a circular saw blade would cut ok, but only on the edges of the blade...make sense?

Plus, Popsci did something like this but they took a R/C truck and attached a small electric weed whacker to the suspension, instant lawn mower. Just pull up a chair, crack open a be...er...I mean...root beer and start driving! Or take this other route I read bout once and combine an aluminum frame, a lawnmower, an electric wheelchair, and a R/C steering system...
I'll try to find it.
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol:

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:47 am

Okay, this looks perfect. They're like circular saw blades, but specifically designed to cut grass (and big friggin' shrubs 'n stuff too :twisted: ) . What do you guys think? Now I need to figure out where I can actually just buy these things. :? Any insight here?

Edit: Or this.

Edit 2: Ah, got it now. I knew if I found the magic search terms I'd get what I wanted. :)

Edit 3: Oh, I like this place...! I'm looking at part number 395053; the 8 tooth 10" blade. Maybe I'll get 9 of them... have 5 up front and 4 in the back with the back ones covering an inch of overlap on both sides of the front ones to be safe... yeah. That will give me the 72" coverage area I've been looking for. :twisted: 'Course... I'll have to pay nearly $150 for 9 blades, but I think it'll be worth it. Don't you guys?

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Here you go!
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol:

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 am

Anyone saying that its lazy to make an RC lawnmower doesn't realize how much time it would take to build one, plus you'd still have to drive it.
My plan is to still use the VNC'd laptop with the webcam. Then I can mow my lawn from anywhere with internet, and I don't have to follow it around corners. I think it would be pretty hard to drive in a straight line from your porch or something. I found a nice two motor serial speed controller, but its $500. So I might have to splurge on that and use it for the

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:31 am

Drive motors, and get some cheaper serial servo controllers to flick switches to turn the blade motor on and other stuff. I also have it turn off if it lost a wifi signal.

(Sorry for the double post, my dad's blackberry much have a character limit, stupid piece of crap)