NES on a chip, standard NES portable, or modded GBA?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

NES on a chip, standard NES portable, or modded GBA?

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:33 pm

Okay, folks, I'm building an NES portable. Now, I need to know something: Should I build one from one of the pirate consoles, should I build it with one of my fragged NESes, or should I mod a GBA so it outputs to a PSONE screen(the only screen I use for my portables. Big screen make happy.), has an external controller port, and use some kind of card reader to shove it full of NES roms, and any other console the little bugger can emulate.

So, what should it be? uber-GBA, tiny NES, or slightly smaller NES?

Link89

Post by Link89 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:36 pm

You could always get a GP32 which emulatues a bunch of systems. I thought it would be kind of fun to mod it. As for the GBA you could do something like Dave's. It doesn't look really hard though. Lik-sang sells this little thing that accepts Flash cards. Building your own portable NES from an original is kind of neat.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:33 pm

Well pros and cons follow all those choices.

The controller based consoles have the advantages of being small and low on power usage. The disadvantages are its smaller then the cartages and you have to make or buy a convertor.

The original mobo. You have something thats reliable and big (no problem for cart size). Problems are they suck more power and you have to mod the av to get conposite as all use an AF adapter.

GBA someone did a mod that used a PSOne screen as a replacement but it will make it less portable then it is.

The last option is lik-sang (maybe others) website is selling an addon that is based on the pirate consoles and will use the GBA screen to display. Down side is its $70US requires an adapter for NES games and you need the GBA SP it wont work with the GBA (cart slots are not compatible).

Dont know if this is any help but I though it will at least help someone else on the board in the long run.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:41 pm

Is there a way to mod the gp32's screen, or am I stuck with it's normal screen?

And I really prefer the bigger portables, so I guess the pirate is a little out of the question.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:37 am

I don't think it would be possible to change screens on the Gamepark, but it is bigger than a GBA screen and much better. A BLU (backlit unit) was recently released as well, and I've heard a lot of good things about how nice the screen is on those.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:33 am

Well, I doubt it's 5 inches.

And there's a GBA tv adaptor thing ready to be sent to me(just won it in an ebay auction.), so I'll be doing that.

Any particular buttons that would most accurately recreate the "console button" feel(as in the way it feels when you push a button in on the gamepad, whether it's NES, SNES, N64, GC, SMS, etc. etc. etc. it just about always feels the same.)?

Link89

Post by Link89 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:43 pm

If you're using tactile switches putting some foam rubber over the switch and putting the button on top gives it a little more squishy feeling. I don't know what to say for momentary switches though.