Want to help with a game storyline?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

blackbox_dev
Want to help with a game storyline?

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:10 pm

I'm working on an FPS game, and I'm having trouble making a storyline. My main inspiration is from Doom, Quake and Duke 3D, so any sci-fi kind of stuff like that is what I want. Whoever get's picked will have their name in the game's credits.
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:13 pm

Dude...I AM LEGEND Fps would be awesome.

The book takes place in the then-future of 1976–1979, and opens with the monotony and horror of the daily life of the protagonist, Robert Neville. Neville is apparently the only survivor of an apocalypse caused by a pandemic of a bacterium the symptoms of which are very similar to vampirism. Every day he also makes repairs to his house, boarding up windows, stringing and hanging garlic, and disposing of vampires' corpses on his lawn.

Neville's psychological disposition is a significant element in the novel, and his struggles with despair imbue the character with intensity and gravitas. The author emphasizes that he is an ordinary, flawed man trying to deal with an extraordinary catastrophe.

Much of the story is devoted to Neville's struggles to understand the plague that has transformed everyone he meets except for himself, and the novel details the progress of his discoveries. In this regard, the novel is almost unique in vampire fiction in that instead of asking the reader to accept a supernatural explanation for vampire phenomena, the author strives to offer scientific basis for such symptoms as aversion to garlic, craving of fresh blood, and resistance to bullets but vulnerability to stakes and sunlight. The aversion to mirrors and crosses (or, in the case of one vampire of Jewish origin, the Torah) is classified as psychological.

Eventually, Neville discovers that while he is the only person immune to the bacterium, he is not the only one still alive. Others who have been infected have discovered a means to hold the disease at bay. However, during the daylight hours, they appear to be fully involved vampires. Thus, along with the vampires, he has been killing these still alive persons. He becomes a source of terror to the still living, since he can go around in daylight (which they can only do for a short length of time) and leaves their dead behind. These still living “vampiresâ€

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:12 pm

I always wanted an FPS were your an alien race getting invaded by humans. 8)
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:14 pm

project_failure wrote:I always wanted an FPS were your an alien race getting invaded by humans. 8)
WIN!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:49 pm

project_failure wrote:I always wanted an FPS were your an alien race getting invaded by humans. 8)
I'd rather be the humans invading the aliens, but you could just have a campaign for each side. Take the battle to them for once. :twisted:

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:55 am

I think theirs a game like that already a little game called Halo 2. :lol:

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:12 pm

I was thinking, someone should make an FPS where you dont kill aliens or soldiers or anything like that. that would be revolutionary.

my Idea would be something like Van helsing, except way cooler than the movie, and more monsters. throw some doom and quake stuff in there to. and good multiplayer.

and no soldiers or aliens, cuz thats just really fricken old.

I cant really think fo a story line right now, just scattered ideas. I'll post again later

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:22 pm

I'm intrigued. Do go on. :)
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:24 pm

LOL Halo sucks ass.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:LOL Halo sucks ass.
LOL so duz u! :roll: Seriously, if you're not going to add to the discussion, please spare us your mindless commentary.

Anyways, Iam, this sounds like an interesting project. And though I agree that shooting people and aliens is getting old, what's even older is the plot of FPS's. You're always either a super secret agent, a space marine, or fighting in WWII. For once, I'd like to see a game where someone takes the time to base an FPS off of actual modern-day covert operations, like the CIA's Directorate of Operations, or DO. I mean, these people are by no means James Bond, but just look up what they do. There's definitely room for a great plot if it's kept accurate.

Come to think of it, it'd be cool if a game was based on taking a single character through the ranks in a group like that. The CIA trains DOs in brutal manners, because they need the dexterity. Not a lot is known about them, but I remember seeing a loose documentation somewhere, something about them being dropped off in the middle of a swamp and having to escape human predators and being deprived of food and then intensively interrogated. Sounds fun, huh? :wink:

CTFan

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:11 pm

I always thought that a post-apocalyptic, steampunk fps would be fun. Great chances for broken down scenery, and plots involve survival after whatever huge disaster was involved and the various ways humanity seems to fracture and mutate in those games. Lots of different ways to learn about what happened, and is currently happening from very different points of view.

I point out the great success of cyberpunk FPS games, like System Shock and Deus Ex. I'm not an FPS fan, but I found those extremely playable. In contrast to doom/quake/halo, where I hardly noticed a plot was actually involved--more a common theme to the levels than a plot. Except in doom3, where the game seemed to be attempting to integrate plot and exploration into actual gameplay more.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:45 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Dr. KillGood wrote:LOL Halo sucks ass.
LOL so duz u! :roll: Seriously, if you're not going to add to the discussion, please spare us your mindless commentary.
I could add to this!

I don't like Halo because aiming with a joystick is way too hard for me.

Also, Halo 3 looks EXACTLY like Tribes Vengeance for the PC. It's uncanny.

SCM
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:35 pm

I personally think an I Am Legend FPS would be interesting, but it wouldn't work out very well.

Mostly because he doesn't do much shooting(HE only shot once, then the "living" vampires did some shooting at the end), and he spent most of his time killing vampires during the day, when they were helpless.

But you could do a spin-off type thing and play as a living vampire sent out to kill dead vampires, or make an open world game(think GTA or, oh, what's that game, with the zombies and the mall? I don't know, but you know what I'm talking about, it's on the 360) and you can either run around doing your own thing or look at your list(missions, basically). You just have to make sure your back before sundown, or around 6:30.
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol:

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:42 pm

ZN13 wrote:I personally think an I Am Legend FPS would be interesting, but it wouldn't work out very well.

Mostly because he doesn't do much shooting(HE only shot once, then the "living" vampires did some shooting at the end), and he spent most of his time killing vampires during the day, when they were helpless.

But you could do a spin-off type thing and play as a living vampire sent out to kill dead vampires, or make an open world game(think GTA or, oh, what's that game, with the zombies and the mall? I don't know, but you know what I'm talking about, it's on the 360) and you can either run around doing your own thing or look at your list(missions, basically). You just have to make sure your back before sundown, or around 6:30.

I think that a Dead Rising GTA kind off thing would be cool to.

But make sure to set it up to where almost anything is a weapon in Dead Rising.

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:49 pm

Dead Rising, that's what it was. :D
I've got like, the worst possible memory, but yeah, it's fun. I like throwing CDs and sodas at the zombies, then I grab the katana!
But I think an I Am Legend open-world game would sweet, you could have stuff like a discovery note book, and a stake pouch. It'd be fun...
*starts advancing C++ skills*
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol: