Most Difficult First Boss of All Time

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Ecksem Diem
Most Difficult First Boss of All Time

Post by Ecksem Diem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:57 am

So, I'm playing through Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, and being slaughtered by this prick with the nunchucks over and over again has stirred the following question in my mind: What game, in your opinion, has the most difficult first boss of all-time?

I don't know that I'd say this nunchuck prick is the toughest first boss I've encountered in a game, but he's definitely up there.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:39 am

This may seem like a stupid answer, since I'm sure there are worst ones out there, but I haven't played many games lately. But I'd say that the first boss in Sonic 1 on the Genesis is harder than it should be, especially for beginners. (I'm sure that back then, there weren't as many gamers as there are now)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:34 am

Well if there was a game with a really hard first boss, I don't think I'd remember it because I would have stopped playing it.

I always found Queen Gohma hard, actually. With only 3 hearts and my run-out-in-the-open-and-destroy-everything approach, it was a challenge. Now, not so much. Although I still suck at FPS for that reason.

The Sonic game for the DS had a hard first boss.

The hardest first boss I can think of, if you can call it a boss, is Mortal Combat 2 for the SNES. That game is impossible. Even the first dude is really hard to beat unless you know all the combos from the start, which most normal people don't.
Hey, sup?

Ecksem Diem

Post by Ecksem Diem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:37 am

I think what was hard about that first boss in Sonic was the amount of patience required to get your hits in; you couldn't just leap at him every time you had your feet on the ground, and that strategy was a real stark contrast to the flat-out speed of those first three acts.
Kurt_ wrote:The hardest first boss I can think of, if you can call it a boss, is Mortal Combat 2 for the SNES. That game is impossible. Even the first dude is really hard to beat unless you know all the combos from the start, which most normal people don't.
Haha, yeah, those early MK ports had some serious balance issues (to be honest, they probably just weren't very good games in the first place).

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:29 am

yep. I sold that crap.

I never could beat the first level of driver (you know that game before gta 3).
:lol:
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

JAY

Post by JAY » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:00 am

Not sure if it really counts, but I think that for some RPGs you are forced to lose to the first boss for story reasons. I can't think of any specifics, though.

Depending on who you pick, the robot masters in Mega Man can be really hard. Bomb Man isn't too bad, and Cut Man is still manageable without Guts Man's weapon, but if you picked Elec Man or Fire Man first, you were pretty much going to die every time.

And for Murai in Ninja Gaiden, just stay on the walls. Until I got the Izuna Drop, that's really all I did: run up a wall, jump off, and downward slash.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:04 am

Yeah, Silent Hill had that where you had to die at the beginning to go on.

I'd say the most difficult one would have to be one from shadow of the colossus. I know there really aren't any bosses but some of them suck, especially like #12.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:18 am

You want hard? Download a ROM of the Mega Drive only "Alien Soldier"

This is a Treasure game that never made it to the US and I can see why. I can't even get past the second mini-boss!

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:44 am

You want hard? Download a ROM of the Mega Drive only "Alien Soldier"

Would be good if it was actually beatable.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:59 am

Hmm hard boss...hard boss...The Great Mighty Poo (Conkers Bad Fur Day) was a hard boss until you figured him out. Also the poo hands that slapped you around didn't make it much easier.

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

benheck wrote:You want hard? Download a ROM of the Mega Drive only "Alien Soldier"

This is a Treasure game that never made it to the US and I can see why. I can't even get past the second mini-boss!
Yes but thats what makes Treasure games so damn good! I can't think of one Treasure game thats easy. There all Shoot-'em-ups I believe.

Oh and I didn't really find Ninja gaiden that hard at all really! There was only one boss I got stuck on that made me really annoyed. Trying to think of the name of the Giant Pink Boss Women Demon thing, Alma I think. The first encounter with her had me stuck for a few days, Partially because I didn't save any items to fight her.
Meh... So I don't post much?

Me =
Here

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:36 pm

project_failure wrote:
yep. I sold that crap.

I never could beat the first level of driver (you know that game before gta 3).
:lol:
Me 2 I tried for like 10 copulate hours then sold the game for $5.

jeep

Post by jeep » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Sonic 2 on the gamegear, those boss were hard ! You had no coin and the boss were pretty difficult. The first one was really difficult.

Jeep

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 pm

its not the first boss i dont thing but that huge bug in jetforce gemani was really freakin hard. hard part in games like farcry where your low on health and ammo and it hits an autosave point right before a ton of enemies, that sucks. or when it autosaves and you have like 15 health left before a power armor in FEAR :lol:

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:51 pm

I forgot one.

The radio man thing from "The Thing". before anyone says he was easy, I had low health, little ammo, and It was 2 am.