Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

makuraken

Post by makuraken » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:33 pm

No I am pretty sure to say that we dont know what God looks like. But with societies general impression and vision of what God looks like, that fits is very nicely. Considering that its in clouds (standing on clouds, implying a heavenly sort of feeling), he is in a robe (how many people do you see in a robe often? not many), looks decently old and wise (with that beard of course, the beard is a symbol of wisdom in its day) I would say it fits perfectly with the vision and general idea of what God looks like in our society.
Just something to think about. I personally dont care about the God with a sniper rifel, but considering others in the forum, I would think maybe a good 5-10% of people that see these forums may have something against it (although they may not speak out about it).
With that said, I want an avatar now...

(If you have seen that Family Guy episode, you would know why I think that avatar is funny[and why i dont have a problem with it because... ITS A CARTOON!, Yes thats right, not the real God (although it portrays him in various aspects thanks to our society)])
When in Japan with access to just about every system ever made and those that have yet to see international soil, gather your forces, and make the cool ones your own.

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:53 am

Nes Man wrote:I don't want to start trouble and I have nothing against Gannon, but, I really don't like his new avatar (God with a gun :shock: ).
I agree.

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:26 am

idont know if you guys watch famly guy you wouldnt care.. and i thought (im asuming your cristian of some sort) that god had no image?

sam

Post by sam » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:47 pm

Ah, that is your description of god., not necicarly god, does give off heavenly sort of feel, though it imply's that sort of this, it DOES NOT say that it is god in any way.
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:12 pm

do we know that the hulk avatar is jesus? do we know that the sniper avater is this big and bad god? No, maybes its some hippy with awkward resemblences, and some old guy with anger problems taking someone out from his roof.

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:58 pm

well i think you guys put to much importance on religion. catholisim makes god sound like a bored child dictator. budist dont care (good for them) and every one else thinks gods every thing else... well good for me im a godless fool! it makes things less ofensave

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:01 pm

Holy budha batman! :lol:
I like to think of it as I learned in school. "Too much of something, even if it's normally good for you, is bad" :)

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:49 pm

gannon wrote:Holy budha batman! :lol:
I like to think of it as I learned in school. "Too much of something, even if it's normally good for you, is bad" :)
Yep, even pure oxygen can kill you if you breath it long enough...

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:17 pm

soundwave wrote:do we know that the hulk avatar is jesus?
Besides the obvious, gannon actually said it was a Jesus/hulk avatar.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:20 pm

G-force wrote:
soundwave wrote:do we know that the hulk avatar is jesus?
Besides the obvious, gannon actually said it was a Jesus/hulk avatar.
I guess Seth McFarlane and me are wrong maybe :P

makuraken

Post by makuraken » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:25 pm

Anyway, I would say that according to the rules of the FORUM (written and unwritten) that Gannons avatars are acceptable. And that you are worrying over a little crappy subject. I am a Roman Catholic (yes, that one with scandal and stuff, and the Pope) and I love my religion, but I also know when something is purposly bashing religion and what is around for just comical value. I found nothing offensive to them whatsoever because well, its a cartoon (holy crap, something that isnt really real).
Besides that, you should know that He taught patience, understanding, and to turn the other cheek.

Note to Everyone Else (especially mods): If this goes over the border of the rules, I will be happy to delete the post (no editing, pure deletion) because I respect this forums rules and such.
When in Japan with access to just about every system ever made and those that have yet to see international soil, gather your forces, and make the cool ones your own.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:54 pm

cennar wrote:well i think you guys put to much importance on religion. catholisim makes god sound like a bored child dictator. budist dont care (good for them) and every one else thinks gods every thing else... well good for me im a godless fool! it makes things less ofensave
good thing im atheist

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:13 pm

makuraken wrote:Anyway, I would say that according to the rules of the FORUM (written and unwritten) that Gannons avatars are acceptable. And that you are worrying over a little crappy subject. I am a Roman Catholic (yes, that one with scandal and stuff, and the Pope) and I love my religion, but I also know when something is purposly bashing religion and what is around for just comical value. I found nothing offensive to them whatsoever because well, its a cartoon (holy crap, something that isnt really real).
Besides that, you should know that He taught patience, understanding, and to turn the other cheek.

Note to Everyone Else (especially mods): If this goes over the border of the rules, I will be happy to delete the post (no editing, pure deletion) because I respect this forums rules and such.
well put :)......although we should really just quit all this arguing over religion, it's exactly what Ben didn't want us to do.....
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:33 pm

makuraken wrote:Anyway, I would say that according to the rules of the FORUM (written and unwritten) that Gannons avatars are acceptable. And that you are worrying over a little crappy subject. I am a Roman Catholic (yes, that one with scandal and stuff, and the Pope) and I love my religion, but I also know when something is purposly bashing religion and what is around for just comical value. I found nothing offensive to them whatsoever because well, its a cartoon (holy crap, something that isnt really real).

That's a good way to put it, with one addendum:
For something to be rated PG is kind of relative. To one person, something is just fine, but someone else may be extremely offended. Aparently, this has been shown with G-force and gannon. To many, it's a harmless joke, nobody was hurt. G-force tends to take his religion seriously, and was offended. Normally I can see where there could be exceptions to the idea of "majority rules," but if there was an extremely conservative Amish person (don't ask me why they would be on a message board) they may be offended by having photographs, saying it's a "graven image" or something like that. I'm not entirely sure if that would be true, but I read a book (which was fiction, though) about some guys on a road trip that stopped at an Amish farm, and they requested not using cameras since it was against their religious views.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Well put Sponge.
But how did you know I was amish?! :shock: [size=0]No, I'm not amish you fool![/size]

I really think the "block avatar and sig" addon is the perfect solution to this. Everybody would be happy.