Linux , mac or windows?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:13 pm

I use OS X probably 80% of the time on an iBook G4 that is starting to fall apart. I also have a 1ghz Dell with 128mb memory that runs W2000, I use it only for programming PIC's, some halo modding, PDA compatibility, and to mess around with the serial/parallel ports.

The only linux I use is on my xbox, iPod nano, and ZipIt. That's really the only kind of thing I'd ever use it for: old or underpowered machines. It is a great OS for this, I don't think I'd ever really install it on a desktop though: live cd's ftw!

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:32 pm

bicostp wrote:Windows isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is, as long as you keep your antivirus and antispyware software up to date, install a hardware router, put an encryption key on your WiFi bux, and don't click banner ads all the time. Basically, don't be stupid and your computer will thank you.
I dont even have virus or spyware software installed. Ive been clean and stable (or so I think) for almost 6 months now. although my installation is showing some signs of age... point being that stupid people are the only ones who complain about windows sucking. because they make it suck.

original topic: I use xp exclusively.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:34 pm

I use windows. It's easy to use and does what I need it to do.

Linux is just too hard to use. I don't want to have to learn how to install stuff and make it work, especially if it can't run programs as easily as windows. I just can't find a reason any normal PC user would want to use this regularly, even if it is free.

Mac is just too expensive, proprietary and I don't know if you can even upgrade the hardware without buying a new computer. I also prefer stuff that isn't all smooth and white :P
ImageImage

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I use Mac on both my PC and Laptop. I have a Mac Mini and an iBook G4. In my opinion I just think its simple and cool.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 pm

I primarilly use XP most of the time, DSL occasionally, and OSX whenever I`m using my friend's iBook (which is often :P). But right now I'm using the Opera DS browser.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:13 pm

atari2600a wrote: OSX = Stability
Pffft, what? It's stability if you use the built in programs. Multitasking more than three apps at a time that aren't bundled software is not pretty. Ask the MacBook pro downstairs that's two weeks old, with 90GB free space and 1GB of Ram.

As for viruses, you only get windows viruses if you're an idiot on the internet. Try not downloading everything less than 786 KB you find on... what, limewire? In fact, just don't use limewire.

I've been only using SpyBot S&D and I've been completely safe for years.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:33 pm

I can't really say, I've actually never used OSX.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 am

Bibin wrote:
atari2600a wrote: OSX = Stability
Pffft, what? It's stability if you use the built in programs. Multitasking more than three apps at a time that aren't bundled software is not pretty. Ask the MacBook pro downstairs that's two weeks old, with 90GB free space and 1GB of Ram.
Which is exactly why my Mac, which constantly has Firefox, Thunderbird, NewNewsWire Lite, Adium, and iTunes running (four of those are non-Apple applications) and usually has others such as Acrobat, Word, Excel, Opera, Audacity, Quicken, and Gimp running has been online for the past 10 days straight without a hiccup or crash? I've been known to have 10 or more apps running at the same time with no slowdown, and my record for uptime is about 45 days (after which I installed some software that required a restart, so even then it didn't crash or anything).
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

A_Username

Re: Linux , mac or windows?

Post by A_Username » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 am

I like the other OS's, but it's just a given that you have to run windows, I mean you can't do banking or business linux, I don't know much about browser security on macs. And apps that I need for my job aren't coded for mac or linux. I mean windows came with the fricken computer, and if in the office you told somebody that you formatted your drive to have linux, you'd be laughed out of the place.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:22 am

Mac, linux, windows. In that order.
EDIT: Main PC (post fry, duct tape repair) had 2 drives, one with Windows XP and SuSE, one with MacOSX86 and Vista. Vista and XP have corrupted to the point I can't boot, SuSE doesn't like me, and OsX won't boot since I modified the kext to support either my network card or my sound card, I forget.
Last edited by totokan on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Actually, I prefer Openoffice.org>MS-Office. Uses less RAM & just seems to run smoother.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:32 pm

atari2600a wrote:Actually, I prefer Openoffice.org>MS-Office. Uses less RAM & just seems to run smoother.
I agree 100%. Also, it's cheaper (free), which matters.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen: